1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Dmoz is closing

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by Sean Justin Preston, Mar 14, 2017.

?

Are you happy, relieved?

1. Yes, I am happy and/or relieved.

1 vote(s)
    8.3%
  2. No, I am actually sad and/or not relieved.

11 vote(s)
    91.7%
  1. Mr.Dog

Mr.Dog Active Member

Best Answers:
    It's hilarious how some people still post here. Dmoz was dead in 2005 already. With obsolete graphics as well.
    I reckon it was good "for something" pre-2004 or 2003. It's been that long since it's useless.

BOTW.org is still running and it still has high fees. It seems the business of publishing mere short links with descriptions is still worth running.

Mr.Dog, Jan 2, 2019 IP
    helleborine likes this.
  2. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    It's back up and running, under it's new name of Curlie.org.

Ready to look at site submissions and ready to recruit new editors. If you are interested pop over to Curlie.org

Anonymously, Jan 16, 2019 IP
  3. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    lol

upload_2019-1-17_13-59-24.png
    Any sites I have designed or promoted - over what time frame?

Also, mention whether you have contributed content to any site - what, like digitalpoint? twitter? facebook? reddit? I have comments on local news sites and somewhere along the line, there was a Tumblr blog.

You might want to give some parameters around how detailed you want that information to be.

sarahk, Jan 16, 2019 IP
  4. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    sarahk, you can apply for re-instatement.

The rules to become an editor have not changed. Affiliations must be declared. People often accused DMOZ of having editors that promoted their own sites, the rules are to ensure that we have a good chance of preventing that happening. Which do you prefer? Lax entry rules or rules that help prevent Curlie getting editors that only want to promote their own site?

Anonymously, Jan 19, 2019 IP
  5. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    I appreciate that "affiliations must be declared" but over what time frame and to what depth?

You want to know about the geocities account I had back in '98?
    or the employer I left last year?
    You want to know about the "content" I publish on twitter?

Some boundaries on the question would be useful.

sarahk, Jan 19, 2019 IP
  6. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    I will talk about it in the fora, but what boundaries do you want? You ask about sites from 98, but does time mean that you may not be sympathetic to them still? and if so to have a chance at preventing editors from abusing, we need to know. Just to mention that ofcourse editors list their own sites and the ones they have/are affiliated with. that is not gainst the rules. What is against the rules is to give any sites you have been or are associted with special treatment and if we do not know what affiliations you have had how can we know if they are being treated specialy.

I appreciate that you may be comming at this to try and help for anyone wanting to apply. So, as I said, I will raise it and see how the community responds.

Also just to add that anyone who has edited in the past and not been kicked out can apply to be re-instated and we hope that editors who have left the project will do that.

Anonymously, Jan 19, 2019 IP
  7. mmerlinn

mmerlinn Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    So, you want a LIFE history, going back DECADES just to get approved as an editor? NO ONE CAN DO THAT, simply because NO ONE can remember EVERYTHING said or done since they were born.

As @sarahk said, YOU NEED BOUNDARIES of some sort. Without boundaries you will get a LOT of spam (by YOUR definition) to sort through, even though to the applicant such spam (by YOUR definition) appears to be what YOU want the applicant to submit.

Bottom line is that without boundaries, you will get few applicants and those that DO apply will inundate you with irrelevant facts that THEY think that YOU want.

mmerlinn, Jan 19, 2019 IP
    helleborine likes this.
  8. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    I don't thiunk we mind being given too much information, is far preferable that we make the decisions on relevance than anyone else.

But with SarahK's comments, which were helpful, thank you, I have started a discussion on wording this better so we are clearer about what we are asking for. But SarahK, you know how DMOZ worked and Curlie is no different, decisions are by consensus and not made overnight!! And we are also still developing a new head of steam after such a long enforced shutdown, though some of us have been working, when for many moons the directory was still being stabilised and not open to the public.

Those days are happilly over, though we still have some blips, and we are taking re-instatemnts of any editor, who left DMOZ in good standing, new editors and accepting new site suggestions. Again the old maxim is true, they are suggestions and we offer no guarantee when they will be reviewed for possible listing.

Anonymously, Jan 20, 2019 IP
  9. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Reinstatement requested. Lets give this a whirl!

sarahk, Jan 20, 2019 IP
  10. PlantNut

PlantNut Active Member

Best Answers:
    Declaring affiliations should adhere to common sense. Any site in which you currently have a personal interest (ownership, partnership, commercial relationship) such that your interactions with the site in Curlie context might face reasonable scrutiny should be declared - just to be on the up and up. Nobody should ever feel the need to declare twitter, linkedin or pinterest pages - we don't list those anyway. Facebook pages - yes if it's the primary page for your business or organization (in which case it might be listed); no if it's a personal page. You can extrapolate from there...

PlantNut, Jan 22, 2019 IP
  11. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    Great

Anonymously, Jan 23, 2019 IP