1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

50% drop in direct traffic

Discussion in 'Google Analytics' started by Brian McGann, Nov 16, 2018.

Hello, I recently saw a drop of 50% in visits from direct traffic in one month on the site I manage. Direct traffic went from 82,000 in June to 40,000 in July, and since then has remained at approximately 40,000. I did not see any sources increase so it wasn't a matter of traffic going from one source to another.

In looking at the details, the direct traffic to the home page did not drop by a significant amount in this time period. It was traffic to the internal pages that showed a significant drop. I have some internal pages which saw a 95% drop in user sessions from direct traffic. Of course, this seems illogical to me because I wouldn't expect direct traffic to really hit internal pages.

One other thing to point out--we do have a significant issue with invalid traffic, which is at about 20% according to our Moat reports. Can I assume the direct traffic decline is related to invalid traffic?

Thank you.

Brian McGann, Nov 16, 2018 IP
  2. mmerlinn

mmerlinn Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    And you expect us to tell you what is wrong when we cannot examine the patient?

mmerlinn, Nov 16, 2018 IP
  3. AlphaNine_Vini

AlphaNine_Vini Active Member

Best Answers:
    You need to analyse the data of the IP addresses. Did you took any traffic service from a third party. It looks like bots visiting your website and spamming on the website. Those spammer even create fake email address and use multiple ip addresses to create accounts.

AlphaNine_Vini, Dec 4, 2018 IP
  4. CenTex Hosting

CenTex Hosting Member

Best Answers:
    What I would be looking at is did your conversion rate drop or go up now that that traffic is gone. Look at bounce rate did it improve a good amount as well. If so then its possible that was just filler traffic that either someone bought and forgot about or someone was sending traffic your way.

CenTex Hosting, Dec 4, 2018 IP
  5. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    qwikad.com, Dec 4, 2018 IP