1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Republishing and duplicate content

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by Stevie H., Jul 12, 2018.

Just looking to get some different opinions or info on republishing and how this "duplicate content" may effect SEO. For example, if you take an article from your website blog and get it republished on a third party (think Medium or Content Marketing Institute) does it negatively impact the SEO for the original post. Note that this other posting would include a link to either the original site or article. Anyone have thought?

Stevie H., Jul 12, 2018 IP
  2. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    It used to be the case... Today, who knows. It may, it may not. Supposedly the algorithm knows which one is the original article and will treat it and the site as such.

qwikad.com, Jul 16, 2018 IP
  3. Cacey Taylor

Cacey Taylor Member

Best Answers:
    I know according to Matt Cutts, who works for Google directly, has said a few time duplicate content does not hurt your rankings. I wrote an article on ezine articles and republished it to my LinkedIn account. For some reason the article ranked better in the search engines on LinkedIn. The only thing different is the social signals I received on the duplicate content. I received comments, likes, shares on the LinkedIn content, and the original content which posted on Ezine articles I received nothing.

Here is the YouTube video from Matt Cutts describing the duplicate content issue.

Cacey Taylor, Jul 17, 2018 IP
  4. Mrinal Dev

Mrinal Dev Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    As long as you are giving credit to the original source and following webmaster guidelines there won't be any problem. Sites which you are talking about as medium. Medium has menu for importing content. Google knows how medium operates. If there have been any issue i don't think a website as medium which is very much popular will keep a section of importing story.

Mrinal Dev, Jul 18, 2018 IP
  5. K Edward

K Edward Member

Best Answers:
    Re-posting your content or syndicating it on other sites like medium or LinkedIn is great for expanding your reach and capturing a new audience, but if it’s not done correctly, you could run into some ramifications, such as a loss in traffic and being penalized by Google, hurting your rank, even if it's your own content!

You need to follow a few basic guidelines, for instance;

1. Don’t automatically re-post your content on other platforms: Google may not know which article is the original version. give at least a time span of 1 week for the original article to be indexed.
    2. Don’t publish the entire article, especially if you're looking to drive traffic back to your website

3. Don't repost every article: not every article has the potential to generate leads fro Linkedin or Medium. Only re-publish articles that are relevant to your audience and can generate shares, likes and spark conversations.
    4. Have your Website identified as the Original Source: Just like Mrinal Dev mentioned, Medium has an import tool, and Google knows about it. All you have to do is paste the article’s link into their tool and select import. Medium will automatically add a link at the bottom of the article identifying it was originally published on another site.

I hope that helps.

Cheers!

K Edward, Aug 29, 2018 IP
  6. John Romaine

John Romaine Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Just rewrite it.

John Romaine, Sep 6, 2018 IP
  7. Alex_R

Alex_R Active Member

Best Answers:
    I'd recommend only using branded profiles so G knows they belong to you.

Then I'd make sure you setup you canonicalisation correctly.

Alex_R, Oct 5, 2018 IP
  8. millarman

millarman Peon

Best Answers:
    So how do ecommerce sites selling for instance the same model of TV which is bound to have the same description go on?

millarman, Oct 5, 2018 IP