1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Thoughts on legalising gambling in India?

Discussion in 'Politics & Religion' started by Melloweitsj, Sep 4, 2018.

If you are from India I guess you have heard about the report that the law commission in India put out recently: https://calvinayre.com/2018/07/05/business/india-law-commission-recommends-legal-gambling-betting/

Basically recommending that India should legalise gambling in order to help stopping match fixing and garner the public with taxes rather than lining the pockets of criminal organizations.

There have been plenty of opposition after this report came out, and many people seem to be strongly against it:

Why so much hate towards it? I see that it is a difficult issue, but I feel there are plenty of upside to it as well:
    • Tax revenue that goes to the people instead of criminals
    • Help people that have gambling problems instead of shunning them
    • Create jobs
    • Help stopping match fixing

More in-depth here.

So how it is now, basically illegal does not seem to help stop gambling. It didn't work for the prohibiton of alcohol and drugs in the US, why should it work for gambling?

So what are your thoughts on this?

Melloweitsj, Sep 4, 2018 IP
  2. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    I am based in the U.S., so my comments will be based on those experiences. What I have observed in my lifetime is that alcohol, drugs, and gambling will used by humans, whether they are legal or not. Prohibitions will not stop an activity that humans want to do. Prohibition will create an opportunity for criminals to fill a gap that the law-abiding businesses will not cover and that is some times more of a problem than the activity, itself.

That said, I have seen firsthand and heard secondhand of the destructive effects of addiction to alcohol, drugs, and gambling. It is ugly. So, I fully understand the reluctance of groups and governments to legalize them so that they will be exposed to more and more people. Not sure what the answer is, quite frankly, but the government is rarely a good solution for most any problem that society has.

jrbiz, Sep 4, 2018 IP
  3. Melloweitsj

Melloweitsj Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I agree - these are definitely vices, and I think the world would be better without them, but we see that banning these things does no good in stopping it or helping those in need, I feel that legalisation for those 95% of the population that engages in these activities responsibly should be seriously considered. It should also help with less stigma surrounding the activity and hopefully lead to more people with problems getting help.

Melloweitsj, Sep 5, 2018 IP