1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

I've just launched a website for University students, would anyone be willing to review it?

Discussion in 'Websites' started by T.C.A, Aug 21, 2018.

As the title says, I've just launched a website for University students. Would anyone here be willing to give me some feedback on it? I've prefer not to post the site here, so anyone who'd like to check it out feel free to drop me a private message. Thanks!

T.C.A, Aug 21, 2018 IP
  2. mmerlinn

mmerlinn Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Your site is so illegal that you are afraid to post the link here for fear that the police will arrest you?

mmerlinn, Aug 21, 2018 IP
  3. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Just post an image with the url on it.

upload_2018-8-22_12-52-13.png

sarahk, Aug 21, 2018 IP
  4. T.C.A

T.C.A Peon

Best Answers:
    Cheers for the tip Sarah, here it is:
    [​IMG]

Basically, it's a University review website that allows people to rate their Uni. It's a work in progress but I will be adding more Countries/Universities.

It'd be great to hear people's overall opinions on the site. But also I'd like to know what people think of the fields in the review form. For example some things like things like facilities reviewers can selected to rate it 1 to 5 stars. But for something like social scene I only have a Yes/No if people were happy with it. Is a Yes/No response too limiting? Is there anything else you'd suggest I do differently with the site?

T.C.A, Aug 22, 2018 IP
  5. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Get someone really ocd to go through and check for typos
    upload_2018-8-22_20-28-0.png
    I know what my local universities are like, my friends kids are going to them, they're in the local paper etc. If I'm checking your site then I'm from out of town so I'm going to want to know:
    • Is there effective support for students with disabilities (physical, learning etc)
    • Are there halls of residence
    • Is it feasible for low-income students to live independently within 30 minutes commute of the university
    • Does the academic staff encourage students to contact them outside of formal class time
    • Is there an effective appeal process (y'know, for when your prof doesn't think Australia is actually a country) or a lecturer consistently fails to show
    • Is there an online learning portal with notes, video'd lectures etc
    • Are there adequate lab facilities - language, science, engineering, music etc
    • Is there a university creche
    • Is a roll taken with attendance expectations (I know a Uni that has some courses with this, mind blown)
    • Which campus did you study at (City, North, South, Hospital etc - the list will be specific to the Uni)
    • Is there adequate public transport (I'm in Auckland, we have a few Campuses that have very limited public transport)
    oh, and I'd be very careful with the gender question. Do you really need to know?

sarahk, Aug 22, 2018 IP
  6. T.C.A

T.C.A Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the feedback Sarah, some very good points. I do intend to add a section for each college in the future with useful stats. But I also want to try and avoid having questions on the review form that have a factual answer (for example; is there halls on campus, a quick Google should answer that accurately). I want to focus more on building opinions/feedback/stats. But it could be very useful if I added a question on the review form that asks "Is a roll taken for attendance to classes".

As for the gender question I was also mindful of including that, hence why I added an option for people to select if they prefer not to say. But the reason why I wanted it was for the filters when someone is reading the reviews on a Uni page, a female who is interested in a Uni might be more interested in what other females thought of the place, and so this allows her to see only those if that's what she wants.

T.C.A, Aug 22, 2018 IP
  7. T.C.A

T.C.A Peon

Best Answers:
    Any other feedback for me?

T.C.A, Aug 24, 2018 IP
  8. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Illegibly undersized fixed metric (pixel measurement) fonts send users with accessibility needs diving for the zoom, the colour contrasts of the header and footer areas are far, FAR below accessibility minimums with the text illegible or even invisible to as much as a third of the population. The form transparency over the pointless stock photo also causes severe legibility issues.

Though the layout itself is clean and simple -- fix the contrasts and switch to using EM for all fonts, widths, and padding.

It is painfully slow to watch load -- and most of that is the sheer number of separate files used to build it. 2 megabytes is prohibitively large for a lot of users, but that it is built from 79 separate files is where the real headaches start. "real world" that's anywhere from 14 seconds to a minute or more of handshaking on a cache-empty first-load JUST because of the number of separate files.

The six separate CSS files totaling 237k (when for what's being done there's no excuse to deploy more than 48k in one file) and utterly nutters 878k of "JavaScript for NOTHING" spanning 24 files being some of the biggest contributors to the site's woes.

Alternative navigation is utterly banjaxed, so I can only assume that the page has little to no logical document structure or semantics. Popping the bonnet to look at the markup, I see gibberish use of numbered headings, no site heading, incorrect usage of NAV (NOT that said tag serves any legitimate point if you use H1..H6 and HR properly), incorrect use of the equally pointless MAIN tag, incomplete forms with no scripting off graceful degradation, endless pointless DIV for nothing, endless pointless classes for nothing, tags that don't even EXIST (there's no such thing as a H7!)... all the telltales of the mentally enfeebled nube predator scams known as HTML/CSS frameworks... yup, there it is "materialize". You've been suckered in by junk frameworks.

Hence wasting 30k of markup on delivering 4.4k of plaintext and sixteen content images -- around 10 to 12k of HTML's flipping job!

Said code also reeking of tags being chosen for their default appearance and not what they MEAN grammatically/structurally. See the nonsensical pairings of headings whilst skipping depths.

My advice, learn some HTML and CSS, ditch the frameworks, and go at it again when you understand how to leverage semantics properly -- or even what semantic markup is / means.

deathshadow, Aug 24, 2018 IP