1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Best Remote Access Solution for PC's?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jrbiz, May 30, 2014.

Hi,

My old Linksys wireless g router finally died a well-deserved death last night so I ran out and bought a new Linksys E2500 wireless router. One critical app that we have used for 10 years now was Radmin (Remote Administrator) which allowed us to access our primary business desktop from within the network and also over the Internet. It requires port forwarding on the router and, even with help from Linksys staff, we cannot get a Viewer on another machine to connect with the server on the business desktop.

So, very reluctantly, I need to find a solution that will offer remote access to a desktop from anywhere. Recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

jrbiz, May 30, 2014 IP
  2. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Some initial research has resulted in two potential options: UltraVNC and TeamViewer. Anyone have experience with either of these?

jrbiz, May 31, 2014 IP
  3. jazzyjmnote

jazzyjmnote Banned

Best Answers:
    Teamviewer works on my Windows 8.1 mobile, Android mobile and Windows XP System. Try out this software and check if this works with your Router.

jazzyjmnote, Jun 1, 2014 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  4. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for your input. Are you using the free version? Would I be able to connect to an unattended machine along as TeamViewer was running on it? Reading their website, it seems to imply that I would need TeamHost which has to be purchased to do this.

jrbiz, Jun 1, 2014 IP
  5. jazzyjmnote

jazzyjmnote Banned

Best Answers:
    I use there Free version and this software needs to be running all the time on host machine for it to work...IF you turn off the PC or Teamviewer then there might be issues in starting this again and the ID details will change each time TW is restarted...

jazzyjmnote, Jun 2, 2014 IP
  6. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks, I appreciate your added insight. I went ahead an installed TeamViewer and it is working well. While the random password changes on the Host site every time the computer starts up, my personal password stays the same, so I can just keep using that. Now I need to see if I can tweak the display so that it uses the whole screen. Great problem to have, so thanks for your suggestion as it is working and that was the primary issue.

jrbiz, Jun 2, 2014 IP
  7. Karuna17

Karuna17 Member

Best Answers:
    I use free version of teamviewer too. Works quite well on my wifi, though I have Senao router.
    Linksys must be similar to configure

Karuna17, Jun 11, 2014 IP
  8. ironcladservers

ironcladservers Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I use TeamViewer regularly as well, as the logins are centralized and I can access many PC's from the same account. Although, have you thought about using plain ol' RDP straight from Windows? IMO I find RDP works very good the way it displays & updates the screen refreshes, works fairly fast and better than VNC.

ironcladservers, Jun 11, 2014 IP
  9. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    TeamViewer (free version) continues to work great for me. And I took a survey from both Radmin (my previous software) and Linksys (new router) and gave each of them a really bad rating.

jrbiz, Jun 11, 2014 IP
  10. Tom-US

Tom-US Member

Best Answers:
    my favorite is litemanager free for remote access pc ;)

Tom-US, Feb 6, 2018 IP
  11. mikebvm

mikebvm Member

Best Answers:
    +1 for Teamviewer as long as it is for personal use. I use VNC for business use.

mikebvm, Feb 15, 2018 IP
  12. Hostfinch

Hostfinch Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Hello,
    Team Viewer and AnyDesk are best tools to access destination computer via remote.
    If you allow firewall access then RDP is also one of the easiest one.

Hostfinch, Aug 13, 2018 IP
  13. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Catching this loop up to date: I switched ISP's and also had to switch to a different router about a month ago. TeamViewer (free version) became intermittent and we had difficulties, most days, connecting the machine we needed to connect to. Today, I installed TightVNC (another free option) and it seems to be working great. Unlike TeamViewer, I had to set up port forwarding to VNC Server on the router and the Viewer requires Java, but it worked first try. Will keep you posted should anything change.

jrbiz, Aug 26, 2018 IP