1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Migrating from custom Magento site: Best options?

Discussion in 'eCommerce' started by taylor.larrybs, Jul 10, 2018.

We had a custom website built about 10 years ago, and over the past 5 haven't done much of anything to update it. There's been so much backend custom work done that none of us on staff now knows how to implement any changes. It's basically a classic case of building a custom, overcomplicated site too early on, and now we're dealing with the consequences.

As damage control and to plan for a sustainable future, we're looking to simplify, ideally without losing SEO standing. I'm trying to understand the best way to go about rebuilding our site on our own, as well as moving from Magento 1 to a more manageable ecommerce platform that won't require a developer by my side. We're a very small team and would love to keep from outsourcing more than we need to. Though we have minimal coding/development experience among us, we're willing and able to invest in strategic learning.

We do <500k a year in revenue selling Dodge diesel truck parts exclusively online. We currently also integrate with eBay and Amazon, and use QuickBooks and ShipStation. Our site is hosted on Nexcess. Ideally, we'd be able to keep integrated with eBay and Amazon, since a lot of our sales come through those platforms. I'd also like to build a blog and create regular SEO-boosting content.

So to sum up, my question is: What is the best option for migrating from Magento 1/a custom website to a more manageable eCommerce platform that won't require developer help?

taylor.larrybs, Jul 10, 2018 IP
  2. frank007

frank007 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You can use Wordpress. I can help you migrating from Magento to Wordpress.

frank007, Jul 13, 2018 IP
  3. TravelDev

TravelDev Peon

Best Answers:

You should be careful in migrating 100% alone. I suggest you to have at least some SEO expert or you will destroy your search engine positioning.
    I'm a web dev with no great seo skills I recently refused a project exactly for this reason: too much content, if I did it alone I could've potentially kill the current seo work.

Besides the SEO problem are you ready to give up all those custom functions? Wordpress to WooCommerce can be a good option if done right but there's a lot of points to discuss.

My 2 cents: immediately go to a professional who you can trust, better if an Agency, so they will be able to cover both the SEO and dev issues..

TravelDev, Jul 20, 2018 IP
  4. sammy01

sammy01 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Hello Taylor,

There isn't a doubt that Magento is one of the most robust and a powerful ecommerce platform but I do agree it require skills or else you have to hire a developer.

As you mentioned you would like have a blog for your ecommerce site as well as you would like to keep your search engine positions intact then there is only one possible option left for you WordPress using WooCommerce.

Here're the basic pointers for this recommendation (Here's Why WooCommerce):
    • WooCommerce is built on WordPress, the software that runs 26% of the web.
    • WooCommerce seamlessly integrates commerce with content.
    • WooCommerce is entirely open source, which means you can modify and customize anything and everything.
    • WooCommerce code is audited and secure. (Note: Your store is reliant on your hosting solution to be 'bank vault' secure.)
    These are some basic point I would like to make for this recommendation. From physical products and digital downloads to subscriptions, content and even appointments, you can sell anything with WooCommerce. I hope it may help you.

If you have any other queries please feel free to ask.

sammy01, Jul 23, 2018 IP
  5. stewart869

stewart869 Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi! I agree with you. It’s always better to opt for professional service providers with domain knowledge that will ensure successful implementation of ideas in the design and development process. So, if you have any Magento related questions, please, check our blog here

stewart869, Jun 13, 2020 IP
  6. IAmTheAnswer

IAmTheAnswer Member

Best Answers:
    You can try OpenCart. They have a Magento-to-OpenCart migration module that helps you switch easily and offers a highly secure OpenCart import - it can be done even by a person with no technical experience.

IAmTheAnswer, Jun 21, 2020 IP
  7. James0519

James0519 Peon

Best Answers:
    The best option of migrating to Magento is through the use of MDOQ by far! it makes it easier, faster and more cost effective for any business no matter the size!

James0519, Jun 23, 2020 IP