1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How do you create/save an image as 300 dpi?

Discussion in 'Photoshop' started by mike323, Mar 1, 2009.

How do you do this? Can you use an existing image and convert it to 300 dpi? Or do you have to create an image with 300 dpi? This image stuff is confusing...:D

mike323, Mar 1, 2009 IP
  2. Colbyt

Colbyt Notable Member

Best Answers:
    For a new image in Photoshop you simply select 300 dpi instead of the default 72. The image size with nothing but Hello World typed in the box was 3.71 M

I doubt you can up convert unless it is a vector image.

Colbyt, Mar 1, 2009 IP
  3. SiteBetter

SiteBetter Guest

Best Answers:
    The standard on screen resolution is and always will be 72dpi. If you are creating graphics for print, then you will want to use a higher dpi such as 300dpi as in your request. You can get away with 150 dpi.

So, how do you save an image in 300dpi? There are two ways you can do this (rather two results will occur). Say you have an image that is 500 x 500 with a 72dpi. You can go into image size (with the re-sampling checked) and make it 300dpi. This will give you a bigger image but it is probably not what you want. This will give you an image of 2083 x 2083. You will see that it will not change the inches.

If you want to change to a higher dpi for printing but do not want to change the onscreen image size, then you uncheck re-sampling. Un-checking sampling will give you the same pixel size (500 x 500) but will change the print size to 1.667 inches down from 6.944.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

SiteBetter.com

SiteBetter, Mar 1, 2009 IP
  4. mike323

mike323 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    How could that not help...? It was exactly what I wanted to know...You're the best, man....Thanks!

mike323, Mar 1, 2009 IP
  5. tblier

tblier Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Is there anyway to do this in Paint, must you have photoshop to do images of this quality, I am looking for the cheapest alternative to make a banner to specs which are 300dpi.

tblier, Aug 23, 2013 IP
  6. Gary Tan

Gary Tan Peon

Best Answers:
    Colbyt is right.There is no way you can increase a image size with quality increased.Only if you are using a vector.You can change the dpi under "image size" but to me,it's useless because it's only for print out and the quality is still low.I been looking for a way,no luck.

Gary Tan, Sep 4, 2013 IP
  7. NurseKim

NurseKim Peon

Best Answers:
    You can always pay someone to do it for you!
    ;)

NurseKim, May 4, 2015 IP
  8. aren222

aren222 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    To set 300 dpi on a photograph, open the image in Photoshop. Click on the "Image" option in the main toolbar, in the menu that appears click on the "Image Size" option. This will open a window allowing you to adjust the settings of the image. In this box go to the "Resolution" fields.

aren222, Jun 28, 2016 IP
  9. MisterR

MisterR Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    File>Export As is still very much a work in progress and doesn't save the necessary metadata for the resolution.

I would either use File>Save As>Jpeg or use File>Export>Save for Web>Jpeg and set the Metadata to All

MisterR, Jul 10, 2018 IP
  10. MisterR

MisterR Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    But you can also study all those materials that are available on the Internet! For example, http://fixthephoto.com/ has a lot of free tips for photographers!

MisterR, Jul 10, 2018 IP
  11. bijutoha

bijutoha Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    This is my try to cover the query. Go to Image>Image Size> Write Resolution: 300, If you don't uncheck “Resample Image”, Photoshop will simply add pixels without adding detail, and the file size of the image is also showing bigger here. After unchecking the “Resample Image”, You’ll notice the file size of the image doesn’t change but it will change the print size.

[​IMG]

bijutoha, Aug 6, 2018 IP