1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR)

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by JM0n3y, Apr 16, 2018.

As an American, do I need to be worried about GDPR?

I've only recently been made aware of it, and am a bit lost on what steps I should take (if any).

What are your thoughts?

JM0n3y, Apr 16, 2018 IP
  2. pmf123

pmf123 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Do you handle private data?

pmf123, May 1, 2018 IP
  3. digdogger

digdogger Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    This seemed like a pretty good article on it, highlighting what would make it apply to your site:

https://www.gtlaw.com/en/insights/2018/2/the-gdpr-deadline-looms-is-your-us-website-ready

Targeted ads from google, etc, would make the law apply to you.

One option I was considering for my site is geo blocking EU. It's a small enough % of my traffic. Looking for a good solution for that.

digdogger, May 3, 2018 IP
  4. MYTI

MYTI Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    If you deal with customer data in the EU then yes you will need to comply. I'm a UK citizen and work for a UK bank as a Digital Manager, GDPR is an absolute minefield and a huge challenge for any business. It covers literally everything and will wipe out some old school practices.

In its most simplistic understanding - GDPR aims to put the control of data back into the hands of the customer.

The fines that can be handed out are also huge.

If you do operate in an EU market, make sure you get the Privacy Statement (policy) up to scratch. Following that, you need permission and full opt in by communication channel.

MYTI, May 17, 2018 IP
  5. itcv

itcv Active Member

Best Answers:
    I develop casting platform in EU and I'm currently dealing with GDPR, it is absolute mess.
    Requires much attention and also there are many unclear things so far, as example the marketing emails and the services such as mailchimp and so on...

This is a good reference you can check.
    https://www.eugdpr.org/gdpr-faqs.html

itcv, May 18, 2018 IP
  6. blueink02

blueink02 Member

Best Answers:
    If such a solution is released, then it's really a boon to bloggers and marketers.Already I don't have optin forms on my blog, so i don't collect their data. So is my blog safe from GDPR rules?

blueink02, May 21, 2018 IP
  7. Miranda Rota

Miranda Rota Peon

Best Answers:
    blueink02 ....no, because your blog will be using cookies (yes?) ....in which case you definitely DO need to address that. We need to tell people what cookies we use, etc. and if they are for the website to work, for analytics, marketing, etc. . Yes, as stated in comments above, it is a bit of a nightmare!

Miranda Rota, May 28, 2018 IP