1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Does Anyone Here Still Earn A Livable Wage Through Writing?

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by coreygeer, May 13, 2018.

I've visited this forum a few times in the past couple of years and everything that I said years ago still holds some truth today. Everyone still wants some miracle worker, a $1/100 word writer who will churn perfection and make them rich. Writing for most people here is valued at an all-time low and no one respects the effort, time or business as a whole when it comes to clients.

I'm genuinely curious to know if anyone here still earns a livable wage. The freelance mills have scraps to pick from, the jobs posted in the content section are slave labor, cold-calling/cold-emailing usually ends up in the spam or trash can and it seems every contact I used to have from here moved on to something else because it was no longer profitable. I used to have one person who wrote nearly $100 a day in writing material but it wasn't worth the effort and the client ran out of money.

The marketplaces where you can sell your original work have gone completely dry with no buyers to be found. You can get lucky and get yourself a nice featured article on one of those sites that pay per submission. As far as earning an actual livable wage though, does anyone here still do it through writing alone?

coreygeer, May 13, 2018 IP
  2. WLEadmin

WLEadmin Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yes. Writing and editing. ~$55 an hour.

WLEadmin, May 13, 2018 IP
  3. Crimebuster_of_the_Sea

Crimebuster_of_the_Sea Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Yes. By the sounds of it, you're looking in the wrong places for clients.

As a side, I've also started writing fiction, and that makes an 'ok' passive income.

I've been doing this for over 8 years now - haven't needed to find a 'normal' job yet.

Crimebuster_of_the_Sea, May 14, 2018 IP
  4. seoauthority

seoauthority Member

Best Answers:
    My girlfriend is makuing a reasonable living with transalation work. She's bilingual and translating is quite lucrative. She's won some major clients this past year and the work is steady and predictable.

She also does blog writing and editing, earning around $20-$25 an hour - which is not a lto, but definitely a "living" wage, if that's what you're after.

seoauthority, May 15, 2018 IP
  5. Bout Warrior

Bout Warrior Member

Best Answers:
    I use iWriter to purchase content for niche sites. You can join and become a writer there too.

Bout Warrior, May 21, 2018 IP
  6. mindmedia

mindmedia Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, you can definitely make a living by being a writer.
    But wait! That depends on what kind of writer you are.
    Are you a fiction writer? The odds are not in your favour, my friend.
    Are you a non-fiction writer? It still depends. (Read this article by one of the most prolific writers out there at http://rplg.co/667204c0.)
    To put myself into perspective, yes, I make a living through writing, that is, I am a copywriter.
    But remember one thing...
    Marketing triumphs all.
    Competition is everywhere, in every profession you go.
    You have to fight, be the best and hustle your way in.
    Life is not fair. It's not easy. Prepare yourself for the minimum opportunities that might land your way.
    That's it.

mindmedia, May 26, 2018 IP
    Spoiltdiva likes this.
  7. Spoiltdiva

Spoiltdiva Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Well said, this is what many writers need....tough love and a dose of reality.;)

Spoiltdiva, May 26, 2018 IP
  8. Crimebuster_of_the_Sea

Crimebuster_of_the_Sea Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Also, the OP was known on here 1-2 years ago for constantly whining about clients and the work available, while the rest of us who stuck at it are still here. No offence to him now (maybe things have changed), but it doesn't exactly inspire trust in a client. I wouldn't hire someone who I knew would vocally moan about me should the contract not be successful for whatever reason. I suspect that is where a lot of his problems arose from on Digital Point, and probably on other writing platforms had he done the same there. Could be totally wrong but it doesn't leave a good impression.

Edited to add that a lot of the people who have hired me through here have messaged me directly, not posted a hiring thread. So when a lot of your posts are full of whinging and bitching, well, is it any wonder that you can't find regular work?

Last edited: May 26, 2018
    Crimebuster_of_the_Sea, May 26, 2018 IP
  9. WittyKeyboard

WittyKeyboard Peon

Best Answers:
    Well I'm new so it is obvious that I probably won't be making a living wage. Yet! What are some of the places most people here get their clients? I know oDesk and Upwork exist, but I'm not quite sure if these are really the best places for folks who are entry level.

WittyKeyboard, May 26, 2018 IP