1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What are you using? WordPress, Wix or other Website Builder

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Mark Lovett, Mar 4, 2018.

Technology changes so quickly, so on occasion I'll take a break from building sites with WordPress and check out what the rest of the planet is using to build their online lead generating business sites.

Wix recently caught my attention when I found out that it has over 100 million users now! Is it sneaking up on WordPress?

So I did some research, and wrote my thoughts in this article, WordPress vs Wix | How to build a great website in 2018.

Hoping to get some feedback from the Web community, and would appreciate it very much if you will share your experience and thoughts on the topic?

Mark Lovett, Mar 4, 2018 IP
  2. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Self-hosted WordPress for the little ones, cakePHP for the big ones and BuzzTouch for the apps with cake as the backend.

sarahk, Mar 4, 2018 IP
  3. dlassociates

dlassociates Peon

Best Answers:
    I currently use WordPress. For me, I feel as though you need to download an immense amount of plugins for WordPress to be successful. (Want to increase your site speed? Download a plugin. Want to increase loading time? Download a plugin, etc.). But then again, I may be bias because I have not used Wix before - although I am not against it!

dlassociates, Mar 6, 2018 IP
  4. JoeGrey

JoeGrey Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Wordpress for me too. Tried using Wix many years ago and it is quite limited in what you can do. It is great for a simple local business, but for other stuff like blogging, ecommerce, classifieds etc., Wordpress probably has much better themes and options.

JoeGrey, Mar 9, 2018 IP
  5. Richard Justin

Richard Justin Peon

Best Answers:
    I have been on that wordpress train since the b2 days

Richard Justin, Mar 21, 2018 IP
  6. usasportstraining

usasportstraining Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    Wordpress. Although Drupal and other CMS scripts may be comparable, I personally have not found anything better than a self-hosted Wordpress site.

usasportstraining, Mar 24, 2018 IP
  7. bxqzblog

bxqzblog Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I spent so much time getting accustomed to wordpress that my brain refuses to accept anything else. Probably a protection mechanism :)

bxqzblog, Mar 24, 2018 IP
    sarahk likes this.
  8. Zirkon Kalti

Zirkon Kalti Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Wix is for making website for shops that have a physical location.

Zirkon Kalti, Mar 24, 2018 IP
  9. ShortGuyzRule

ShortGuyzRule Active Member

Best Answers:
    Self-hosted Wordpress (ORG) all the way - Wix is FAR too limited in to many (of the most important!) ways...

For example:

When choosing a theme for your Wix site, you better be 100% CERTAIN that that theme is PRECISELY the theme you want for your site, and that you will NEVER change your mind....because if you DO change your mind down the road, and decide your site would be better served with a different theme (or they come out with one you like better later on), it would require an entire site rebuild...every stitch of content - the navigation system, graphics, text, comments/replies - everything - would have to be MANUALLY re-built on the new theme, as it doesn't allow you to "switch themes" per se...

The Code is proprietary - HARDCORE proprietary... meaning that it's also Not Portable...They have you by the "short and curly's" so to speak - you can't export your site (even if you're paying for it), and it won't work on any other server/host/platform.....If one day they suddenly decide they're going to raise their prices 10-fold and eliminate the free plan altogether, your options would literally be pay them or lose your site and all of the data... (other website builders have "proprietary" code, but not to this extent - for example Weebly allows you to export your site data to be migrated to a different platform/host, and you CAN convert weebly to WP...AND you can change the theme on weebly and most other builders without recreating the site)

BECAUSE the code is so aggressively proprietary - it's also EXTREMELY bloated, creating slow loading times (which is bad for visitors and BAD for SEO)

EXPENSIVE - to get rid of WIX Ads, you have to be on at least the $8/mo plan last I checked....and that's still very limited of a plan....$8 x 12mo = $96/yr x 5yrs = $480 5 year cost as opposed to: 1 Droplet VPS Hosting With Digital Ocean $5/mo x 12mo = $60/yr x 5 = $300 or 24-7host.com Shared Hosting $2.49/mo, $30/yr, $150 5yr cost

Recap Of 5YRS Cost:
    WiX Basic: $480
    Digital Ocean VPS Hosting: $300
    247-host Shared Hosting: $150

The list goes on....

ShortGuyzRule, Apr 4, 2018 IP
    ATMD likes this.
  10. Pamela Turns

Pamela Turns Active Member

Best Answers:
    I've always use WP, as for me it's more convenient and very user friendly among any others.

Pamela Turns, Apr 4, 2018 IP
  11. Daniel Dixon

Daniel Dixon Peon

Best Answers:
    I have always use Word Press it is very useful for make website, so I feel as though you ought to download an immense amount of plugins for WordPress to be successful
    and Wix is also better for website.
    Regards.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2018
    Daniel Dixon, Apr 4, 2018 IP
  12. knowledgeherald

knowledgeherald Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I have been using Blogger but lately find it has limitations.

knowledgeherald, Apr 5, 2018 IP
  13. JoeSpirit

JoeSpirit Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I've used WP for a number of years and like it with the exception of the number of plugins I normally end up using.

Currently, I'm in the process of building a new funnel and decided to give Mobirise a try. It's a free site builder in its basic form and they monetize by selling add-ons (though I haven't found a required need for any of those as yet). So far I'm liking the software. It looks like it will satisfy my needs.

JoeSpirit, Apr 5, 2018 IP
  14. Pay Per Call Plugin

Pay Per Call Plugin Member

Best Answers:
    I've tried all of them and WP is the way to go in my opinion. Mostly because there are so many users and contributors. You can find a theme for just about anything and plugins that will do virtually anything. Yoou can also develop your own plugins and turn a nice mobile friendly WP site into something much more. For example we created a pay per call wordpress plugin and we have some people making over $500 daily from it.

Pay Per Call Plugin, Apr 5, 2018 IP
  15. JoeSpirit

JoeSpirit Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Plugging your plugin?

JoeSpirit, Apr 6, 2018 IP
    mmerlinn likes this.
  16. LenKaiser

LenKaiser Member

Best Answers:
    I've used a stand alone Wordpress sites personally for many years and have directed some clients to use it if/when they need a good content driven website. In the past I've also used Joomla, briefly as well.

LenKaiser, Apr 13, 2018 IP
  17. Ant-Lion

Ant-Lion Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I have been using self hosted wordpress for over a decade.

Ant-Lion, Apr 16, 2018 IP
  18. Eduard Berg

Eduard Berg Peon

Best Answers:
    Wordpress. I think is it the best thing, especially if you have a blog:)

Eduard Berg, Apr 26, 2018 IP
  19. GGeorge

GGeorge Peon

Best Answers:
    weblium.com. I have my own little store of things, I really wanted to make a website for it, so these guys were just a find for me, everything was quickly and efficiently.

GGeorge, Oct 31, 2018 IP
  20. ChrisBa

ChrisBa Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    A tad old, but I use self hosted wordpress.

ChrisBa, Nov 5, 2018 IP