1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How do you write when you're not in the mood?

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by Spoiltdiva, Mar 23, 2012.

1. Bella Lopez

Bella Lopez Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I suffer from a "writer's block" many times and I make my living out of it. You see where I am going with this! It's tough when you don't have an effin clue of what to write or the words just feel stuck and rebel to come on screen. So, here's what I do:

I make myself a strong and mean cup of black coffee and read something from my fav book (I always carry a book with me). It has nothing to do with whatever I am writing and voila! the well written content inspires me to create something of my own and the shatter that disgusting writer's block.

Bella Lopez, Jan 1, 2018 IP
    usasportstraining likes this.
  2. Spoiltdiva

Spoiltdiva Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Inspiration from others content is one thing. But some derive more than mere inspiration, and plagiarize.
    But if works, then more power to you.

Spoiltdiva, Jan 2, 2018 IP
  3. Bella Lopez

Bella Lopez Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    You're right about that. I try to read content which is not related to my work. For instance, if I am writing something technical, I might read from a book which can be a well-written fiction or a self-help book. As I mentioned, I always carry a book with you and that is never really related to my own content.

Bella Lopez, Jan 4, 2018 IP
    Spoiltdiva likes this.
  4. June H.

June H. Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    The most difficult step for me is to just get started.

When I don’t feel like writing, I may squirm around a bit if I’m feeling lazy. However, when I get those first two sentences down, I’m in; I’ve entered the flow, and I’m not stopping until it’s done. After that, I just get it all out, and don’t think about the editing until I’m finished.

This separation of the creative and analytical state has more or less eliminated writer’s block for me.

So, when faced with a new task, I don’t worry about how I’ll structure the latter part of the article or whatever.
    Instead, I focus all my power on just getting started (I know there’s at least one famous quote about this concept, but I can’t remember it at the moment ^_^)

June H., Feb 4, 2018 IP
  5. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    Thinking about paying the bills and eating always helps with that.;)

Spoiltdiva, Feb 4, 2018 IP
  6. June H.

June H. Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Sure does =p
    It’s incredible how effective one can get when you just have to do something.
    Thankfully, I haven't been in that position for a while, but I still carry with me the work stamina I built from those early trying times.

June H., Feb 5, 2018 IP
  7. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    A strong work ethic is just as important in a writer as creativity and good spelling/grammar.

Spoiltdiva, Feb 5, 2018 IP
  8. TheMadMarketer

TheMadMarketer Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I just started working on my blog. If I don't feel in the mood I just say to myself "hey, you can do it, just write the title". So I write the title, then the first sentence, then the first paragraph...you get the idea. After I finish the article I realize that I'm in the mood again.

TheMadMarketer, Feb 8, 2018 IP
  9. Highlandspring

Highlandspring Member

Best Answers:
    I try and take a short break - go out somewhere with the kids, I find once I have distracted myself I can focus again and get stuck in etc.

Highlandspring, Feb 8, 2018 IP
  10. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    That would be a good mantra to say 3 times in a row.;)

@Highlandspring, the problem is that if I take a short break my work ethic goes out the window and nothing gets done.:oops:

Spoiltdiva, Feb 8, 2018 IP
  11. Highlandspring

Highlandspring Member

Best Answers:
    hmm - try and limit your break to a fixed time - say 30 mins, I found that gives me enough of a rest and distraction to get back to it, fully ready to focus.

Highlandspring, Feb 8, 2018 IP
  12. usasportstraining

usasportstraining Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    It's a constant problem for me, and I own a writing business. Ugh! Every paragraph seems like it was already written 10 times before.

usasportstraining, Feb 11, 2018 IP
  13. wilhem

wilhem Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm not a writer by default, but my job calls upon me to write content regularly. There are many occasions where I encounter a mental block or I'm simply not in the mood to write. When this happens, I find myself going through my content written thus far and becoming a grammar nazi, correcting it in a perfectionist kind of way. What I realized that helps me get out of any kind of writer's block is to have a couple of key structured steps in place so that each article or piece you write has the same process.

1. Create a skeletal outline of the article with a general plan of what you intend to include (I will need intro - body [pros & cons. relevant points] - conclusion/discussion of product, etc).
    2. Do research on your topic or article, and dump anything interesting or relevant you find into your skeletal outline (it doesn't have to be in complete sentences or even fully utilized).
    3. Continue to pen any thoughts that come to mind throughout the process, and make footnotes or comments under each of your main point.
    4. By now, you should have a relatively large amount of content and it's time to review it, deciding on the final points or information you want to include in your aritcle.
    5. Start writing by expanding on or cleaning up your main points (the key essentials are already there for you, so you just have to sentence it properly). If you get stuck at any point, feel free to jump around your points.

You DON'T have to get so fixated on completing your article from start to end in that order, because many people tend to get stuck when they see a blank page or because they spend too much time thinking of how to connect the overload of information in their head that nothing comes out. I always find it helps me when I have things written down because it helps me visualize better and to give me further ideas on what to write next.

wilhem, Feb 25, 2018 IP
    Spoiltdiva likes this.
  14. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    You just highlighted my job description.:)

Spoiltdiva, Mar 2, 2018 IP
  15. wilhem

wilhem Peon

Best Answers:
    Sucks huh, but such is life when you're often called upon to do stuff you weren't actually hired to.

wilhem, Mar 2, 2018 IP
  16. Marttex

Marttex Member

Best Answers:
    I may seem to be a little bit cynical, but still, I think of my bills to pay.
    Copywriting and digital marketing in general are precarious jobs nowadays. Thus, I can't afford losing money.
    Even if I don't face any financial problems right now, I may face them later. That means that I need as much money as I can earn.
    And even if I am not going to spend the money I am about to earn for an order or other activities immediately, I may save them for a rainy day.
    I think of it, and it motivates me with no exceptions…

Marttex, Mar 20, 2018 IP
    Spoiltdiva likes this.
  17. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    Au contraire mon frère, not cynical but realistic.

Spoiltdiva, Mar 20, 2018 IP
  18. SEO-Jay

SEO-Jay Member

Best Answers:
    Make it the first thing you do; in the morning - when you have the most energy and cannot be distracted.
    And if you are really struggling give yourself a nice reward after for completing the article - a coffee/ few pieces of chocolate/ give yourself a break (walk in nature etc)

SEO-Jay, Mar 20, 2018 IP
    Spoiltdiva likes this.
  19. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    For awhile this thread had become redundant with unoriginal tips and ideas. But as of late the tips/ideas have been very good...keep them coming!:)

Spoiltdiva, Mar 20, 2018 IP
  20. MacDell

MacDell Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I have a list of websites a read when searching for inspiration. When they don’t work, I start typing anything that comes to mind and eventually my mind switches to “creative mode”.

MacDell, Mar 29, 2018 IP