1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Stuck between Bluehost, SSL and Hostgator

Discussion in 'Web Hosting' started by marypainter, Jan 7, 2018.

I am not very sound technically but I know to make sites in html and wordpress and run several of those successfully for past many years. Now I read that SSL installation is a necessity for SEO, I had a shared hosting account on bluehost so I asked them about SSL, they said its free for wordpress sites with them and not free with html sites. Also to install it to html sites I need a dedicated ip that is available on their VPS server so an upgrade will be helpful to meet my needs. I had many addon domains. I purchased the VPS hosting and just when the migration began, one of my websites stopped working and bluehost support team was not helpful or responsive. I redirected its DNS and purchased a shared hosting on hostgator and hosted it there. The migration to VPS server on blue host took around 6 days and then SSL on one of my wordpress sites stopped working and support team is again not very responsive. Now I don't know if I move my websites to hostgator or keep these on bluehost VPS. I don't have any one around who can help me with the decision. What would you guys recommend?

marypainter, Jan 7, 2018 IP
  2. HostWithLove

HostWithLove Peon

Best Answers:
    There are several issues with their response to you:

1. It is no longer required for a website to be hosted on a Dedicated IP Address in order to install a SSL Certificate. This was the case in the past, however with the introduction of Server Name Indicator (SNI) several years back, a SSL Certificate can be installed without requiring a Dedicated IP Address. The fact that they are requiring you to purchase a Dedicated IP Address to install a SSL Certificate suggests that their technicians are inadequately trained, or more likely, their company policies dictate that they try to upsell their customers.

2. It is odd that in order for them to provide you with a Dedicated IP Address, you need to upgrade to a VPS. In fact a Dedicated IP Address can be assigned onto their usual hosting packages as an add-on (and with all other hosting providers). Usually a Dedicated IP Address add-on only costs anywhere between $2-3/month depending on the hosting provider.

3. It is odd that they only provide free SSL Certificates for their WordPress packages but not their normal HTML packages. Do take note that many hosting providers now offer free SSL Certificates with their hosting services because cPanel implemented AutoSSL about 1-2 years back. Therefore they shouldn't be charging you for a SSL Certificate. Most likely, it is because in the past, prior to AutoSSL being introduced, BlueHost has had many customers who purchased SSL Certificates from them and they are refusing to give up that source of recurring revenue which is likely sizeable.

To summarize, you do not need to upgrade to a VPS, and you also do not need a Dedicated IP Address in order to install a SSL Certificate on your existing websites.

Also, please note that both HostGator and BlueHost are hosting companies which were acquired by Endurance International Group (EIG) many years back. If you do a check on EIG, you will find that they generally ruin the hosting companies that they acquire.

HostWithLove, Jan 8, 2018 IP
    Arick unirow likes this.
  3. dimitarang

dimitarang Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Go with namecheap, the ones you mention they all suck, especially hostgator.

dimitarang, Jan 8, 2018 IP
  4. marypainter

marypainter Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thank you for this very detailed and comprehensive reply. Which other hosting company would you recommend that is affordable and reliable?

marypainter, Jan 8, 2018 IP
  5. marypainter

marypainter Active Member

Best Answers:
    I purchased all my domains from namecheap but never tried hosting a site there. They also charge around 10$ for positive SSL I think. I'll check with them to get more details. Thanks for the recommendation.

marypainter, Jan 8, 2018 IP
  6. dimitarang

dimitarang Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    You are welcome! I use them from quite a long time, never had any issues. But with hostgator...wow I had so many problems back in the day.

dimitarang, Jan 9, 2018 IP
  7. HostWithLove

HostWithLove Peon

Best Answers:
    No problem.

Although NameCheap is definitely going to provide much better support than any of EIG providers (that goes to show you how bad EIG providers really are!), I would say that there are much better alternatives available. Generally speaking NameCheap is best known as a domain registrar and since that is their specialty, they aren't as competitive in providing web-hosting services.

To illustrate further, and also to ensure that you know I am not providing a biased viewpoint, I will also add on that if you were to want to choose a company whose primary product is domain registrations, then I would definitely choose GoDaddy over NameCheap because while both companies' primary products are domain registrations, GoDaddy has in recent years made gigantic strides towards mainstream web-hosting services. However again, that is not to say I endorse GoDaddy's services and as I've said, there are many companies in the industry whose primary focus is not domain registrations and therefore can provide you with a much better and competitive service than either NameCheap or GoDaddy.

Also, generally the rule of thumb is to separate your web-hosting account from the domain registrar that you work with. This ensures that there is no "nightmare" situation where your domain is being held ransom should you decide to switch hosting companies. While NameCheap and GoDaddy are large enough companies that I don't think they are going to utilize such underhanded methods to retain your business, I still find the adage to be meaningful to keep by.

In summary, keep your domains and web-hosting services separate. Since you have your domains at NameCheap currently, keep it there - they are one of the better domain registrars to work with. As for web-hosting, look for a provider whose primary product is web-hosting services. This way you will get much better value and support for both your domains and web-hosting services. For example, a provider whose primary product is web-hosting services is never going to be charging you for a SSL Certificate - as mentioned in my previous response, most if not all of the reputable web-hosting providers are already offering SSL Certificates for free, there really isn't any reason for you to be paying $10/year per SSL Certificate (if you have 5 websites, that churns out to $50/year which is money that can be put to much better use).

HostWithLove, Jan 9, 2018 IP
  8. Hostforweb Inc

Hostforweb Inc Active Member

Best Answers:
    I think that you need ask the company for test account. That is not forbidden to ask and test. Only your own tests will help you to understand if that is the company worth for you or not.

Hostforweb Inc, Jan 22, 2018 IP
  9. Sean9568

Sean9568 Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, you will need SSL, it provides authentication, encrypts sensitive information, etc. SSL ensures your web traffic is kept safe from security threats.

Sean9568, Jan 29, 2018 IP
  10. Serghei Pogor

Serghei Pogor Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    personal, for Wordpress I prefer InMotion Hosting(unlimit space)
    NameCheap is good if your site will not need too much space(use it usualy only for HTML site)

Serghei Pogor, Jan 29, 2018 IP
  11. mikebvm

mikebvm Member

Best Answers:
    Here's a list of Endurance International brands:
    2slick.com
    AccountSupport
    Arvixe LLC
    A Small Orange
    ApolloHosting
    AppMachine
    Berry Information Systems L.L.C.
    BigRock
    BizLand
    BlueBoxInternet
    BlueDomino
    Bluehost
    BuyDomains
    CirtexHosting
    Constant Contact
    Directi
    Dollar2Host
    Domain.com
    DomainHost
    Dot5Hosting
    Dotster
    easyCGI
    eHost
    EmailBrain
    EntryHost
    Escalate Internet
    FastDomain
    FatCow
    FreeYellow
    Garin IT Solutions Co.
    Garin Technologies
    Glob@t
    Homestead
    HostCentric
    HostClear
    HostGator
    HostNine
    Bluehost, HostMonster
    HostV VPS
    hostwithmenow.com
    HostYourSite.com
    HyperMart
    IMOutdoors
    Intuit Websites
    iPage
    IPOWER/iPowerWeb
    IX Web Hosting
    JustHost
    LogicBoxes
    MojoMarketplace
    MyDomain
    MyResellerHome
    MySocialSuite
    NetFirms
    Networks Web Hosting
    Nexx
    PowWeb
    PublicDomainRegistry
    PureHost
    ReadyHosting.com
    ResellerClub
    Saba-Pro
    SEO Gears
    SEO Hosting
    SEO Web Hosting
    Site5
    Southeast Web
    SpeedHost
    Spertly
    Spry
    StartLogic
    SuperGreen Hosting
    Typepad
    Unified Layer
    USANetHosting
    vDeck
    Verio
    VirtualAvenue
    VPSLink
    Webzai Ltd.
    WebHost4Life
    webhosting.info
    Webstrike Solutions
    Xeran
    YourWebHosting

mikebvm, Feb 15, 2018 IP
  12. Sean9568

Sean9568 Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the suggestions.

Sean9568, Feb 22, 2018 IP
  13. webhost.uk.net

webhost.uk.net Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Both Bluehost and Hostgator are managed by same company EIG still so much issue.. Infact they should be more co-operative to resolve the problem. Regarding SSL issue why dont you just go for Letsencrypt FREE SSL service gets installed in minutes and resolved the SEO and google related SSL problem.. and best thing is you dont have to pay for it. :) I am not sure if your provider offers it.

webhost.uk.net, Feb 23, 2018 IP
  14. webdev95

webdev95 Member

Best Answers:
    I've tried several EIG hosts, and never cared for any of them. They'd continuously have outages, without any estimated time of fixing the issue. It really hurt my reputation with my web clients. I really liked hostgator (when Brent Oxley ran it) until EIG bought them out. Now, I use Iowa-Host. You'll have to decide if you're comfortable with outages or not. As a web designer, I couldn't afford to stay in business using EIG with the monthly outages that I was experiencing. Good luck.

webdev95, Mar 20, 2018 IP
  15. dts-net

dts-net Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    just to let you guys know if the provider is using cpanel you now get SSL for free and it auto updates

dts-net, May 31, 2018 IP
  16. iHostingX.com

iHostingX.com Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    As Bluehost and HostGator are both owned by EIG, as many here have pointed out, and managed in the same fashion - you will likely experience similar challenges with both of them. I would encourage you to look outside of EIG for your next hosting plan.

iHostingX.com, Jun 9, 2018 IP