1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Armchair Dining on DP

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by jrbiz, Mar 13, 2015.

1. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    I have had Portuguese and Italian versions of tripe stew. The texture is certainly an acquired taste, but the stews that it is cooked in are always very flavorful. In what country are you eating it?

jrbiz, Nov 24, 2017 IP
  2. bojanvuk

bojanvuk Active Member

Best Answers:
    In Poland. It's called sometimes tripe soup Polish way or Warsaw way.

bojanvuk, Nov 24, 2017 IP
  3. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    I LOVE Polish food! Kielbasa is perhaps the sausage my family eats most. My wife adores golombki's and I am a big fan of pierogis and those powdered sugar covered cookies that are light and crumbly. What is your favorite dessert?

jrbiz, Nov 24, 2017 IP
  4. bojanvuk

bojanvuk Active Member

Best Answers:
    You mean:
    [​IMG]

It's called Faworki or Chrust. My grandma used to make best in the world :)

bojanvuk, Nov 24, 2017 IP
  5. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, they are fantastic! When I was a kid, my best friend was Polish and his mother made them and I really, really looked forward to those days that she would let us have some. I can find similar cookies in the grocery store bakery, but they are not as good. Miss them.

jrbiz, Nov 25, 2017 IP
  6. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    So, here in New England, we are in full Christmas mode. In fact, today, the wife and daughter are participating in a Christmas cookie swap. There will be 20 women there (organized by my niece at her home) and each will bring 10 dozen cookies (one type of cookie per attendee) and then each participant will get six cookies of each type (should be 20 different types of cookies each.) I have to admit to being fairly pleased that they will be coming home tonight with a total of 240 cookies between them. It will then be my moral responsibility to help ensure that these cookies do not sit around going stale. But, that is just an aside, I am writing because my daughter just introduced me to her cookie which I had never had before. Apparently. she and her friends at college used to make these cookies all of the time because they do not need to be baked. It is called the Oreo Christmas Ball cookie and it looks like this:

Oreo.jpg

The one that my daughter made looks like the one in the front which is chocolate-dipped with a little white chocolate drizzle on the chocolate candy coating. The inside is made of cream cheese and finely crushed oreo cookies and it looks like what you see in the cookie on the left in this picture:

oreo2.jpg

Tastes like an Oreo cookie but is much richer in texture. A more festive way of eating an Oreo cookie and easy to make.

Makes the cold (10F/-12C this morning) and snow (total of about five inches this season) a bit easier to take. Anyway, looking forward to seeing what other new cookies come through the door tonight!

jrbiz, Dec 16, 2017 IP
  7. robinymym

robinymym Active Member

Best Answers:
    This post made me hungry

robinymym, Dec 17, 2017 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  8. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Ahh, you have a sweet tooth like me. I am sure that I will have more posts on sweets as we get closer to Christmas. :)

jrbiz, Dec 17, 2017 IP
    robinymym likes this.
  9. robinymym

robinymym Active Member

Best Answers:
    Eagerly waiting for that then

robinymym, Dec 18, 2017 IP
  10. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Houston, we have a problem. The fruitcake situation is not where it should be given that we are less than a week from Christmas. To date, I have only had exposure to the less than optimal Entenmann's Fruit Cake:

fruitcake.jpg

Note the heavy layer of pecans on top which are a definite no-no for me. Rumor has it that my wife has brought home the ingredients to make one, but I am not sure that this will happen or if it will pass muster. I may have to make an emergency run to another store later this week to resolve this serious problem. Stay tuned.

jrbiz, Dec 19, 2017 IP
  11. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Well, the fruitcake saga will not end well this year. The wife tried to surprise me by ordering a new (to us) brand called Grandma's Fruit and Nut Cake and it arrived and looks like this:

fruitcakenuts.jpg

Each slice is individually wrapped and the cake and fruit, themselves, are pretty good. However, given that I do not like nuts in my fruitcake, it probably was a strategic error to purchase one that calls itself fruit and NUT cake. Way too many nuts in it for me. Given that we now have this one and still some of the Entenmanns variety in the house, we will suspend our search for a good one. Epic fruitcake fail this year.

However, there are quite a few other sweet treats that I will be able to console myself with. :)

jrbiz, Dec 23, 2017 IP
  12. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Well, the holidays are not yet over, but it is safe to say that the prize for best holiday sweet snack goes to my wife's maraschino cherry cookies which look an awful lot like these:

maraschinocookies.jpg

They have a light, sugary glaze and are completely infused with maraschino cherry flavor. An annual favorite, they win again!

jrbiz, Dec 26, 2017 IP
  13. KRS Sastry

KRS Sastry Banned

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I am a Veggie. I love almost all Vegetarian snacks available in India.

KRS Sastry, Jan 12, 2018 IP
  14. Slurpie

Slurpie Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Send some of those cookies my way! :)

Nah, not really! I've had way too many desserts around the house since Christmas. I'm trying to get rid of them at this point. Hah!

Slurpie, Jan 12, 2018 IP
  15. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    So post up a picture or two of your favorites. :)

I am not sure that I have ever had an Indian "snack" though I love Indian food.

jrbiz, Jan 12, 2018 IP
  16. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Were that my problem. I started a strict diet on January 2nd and cleared the house of all the goodies that I had not yet gotten to over the holidays. My only relief is vicarious by going back through the great dishes posted previously on this thread or any new ones that get posted. Going to be a loooong winter. :)

jrbiz, Jan 12, 2018 IP
  17. Slurpie

Slurpie Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    We need to be locked up and kept away from the junk food... it's too tempting!

Slurpie, Jan 12, 2018 IP
  18. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    I may also need to be lashed to a wall and beaten. :)

jrbiz, Jan 13, 2018 IP
  19. Slurpie

Slurpie Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Hah! That idea might actually help me, to be honest. Or put in jail for long-term and forced to eat prison food maybe.

Slurpie, Jan 13, 2018 IP
  20. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    So, I was suffering through my 2018 diet (totally sucks) and I caught a cooking show on TV and they were talking about a "New England" cookie creation that I have had before but did not know that its origins are local to me: Snickerdoodles. A Snickerdoodle is a type of cookie made with butter or oil, sugar, and flour, and rolled in cinnamon sugar. Eggs may also sometimes be used as an ingredient, with cream of tartar and baking soda added to leaven the dough:

snickerdoodles.jpg

They are soft and chewy and worth trying if you have never had one before. Highly recommended!

jrbiz, Feb 5, 2018 IP