1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How to track if website visitor is using proxy, vpn or tor?

Discussion in 'PHP' started by mi6hq, Dec 4, 2017.

Hi guys,

I get more than 15,000 daily visitors and I want track bad (proxy, vpn, tor) visitors. There are paid databases available at MaxMind and Ip2Location but I am looking for free solution.

One alternate is to extract data from free ip tracking website page like
    http://whatismyipaddress.com/ip/73.198.210.131
    http://www.ip-tracker.org/locator/ip-lookup.php?ip=45.51.71.239

If there is method to extract ISP name from IP details of above page then I think this can work. When there is new visitor, I can open this ip and get data and then redirect visitor different pages according to receive data.

I also found some other websites providing free more in depth details of IP. And I can get data in same way like above method.

MI6

Any help please.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
    mi6hq, Dec 4, 2017 IP
  2. Einheijar

Einheijar Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    1st step would be checking for x_forwaded_for in the http headers.

For TOR you can always use .ip-port.exitlist.torproject.org to check if it's an exit point or not

For VPN users in general with a good geoIP database, you can screen for datacenter IPs

Einheijar, Dec 5, 2017 IP
  3. beckkie

beckkie Member

Best Answers:
    IP2location has free version database. They call it IP2proxy Lite.

Proxy Type & Description
    VPN - Anonymizing VPN services. These services offer users a publicly accessible VPN for the purpose of hiding their IP address.

TOR - Tor Exit Nodes. The Tor Project is an open network used by those who wish to maintain anonymity.

DCH - Hosting Provider, Data Center or Content Delivery Network. Since hosting providers and data centers can serve to provide anonymity, the Anonymous IP database flags IP addresses associated with them.

PUB* - Public Proxies. These are services which make connection requests on a user's behalf. Proxy server software can be configured by the administrator to listen on some specified port. These differ from VPNs in that the proxies usually have limited functions compare to VPNs.

WEB - Web Proxies. These are web services which make web requests on a user's behalf. These differ from VPNs or Public Proxies in that they are simple web-based proxies rather than operating at the IP address and other ports level.

beckkie, Dec 5, 2017 IP
  4. phpmillion

phpmillion Member

Best Answers:
    I understand your concern, but I believe you won't be able to track most VPNs. I mean, there are hundreds if not thousands of VPN providers, and they set up new servers often, so even paid databases can't cover them all.

If you want to extract IP details from sites like whatismyipaddress.com and similar, you can surely do it (would take about 10-30 minutes to write a PHP script, depending on your needs). However, be aware that these sites might blacklist/ban you shortly if you keep sending thousands of requests a day from your IP.

phpmillion, Dec 8, 2017 IP