1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Seem like a chargeback fraud to you?

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by jach, Nov 21, 2017.

Let me keep this simple and short, I ran an online business selling custom car parts and not too long ago some guy emailed me and ask me for lots of parts with total worth of $4000 and he paid everything with his credit card. It took us about 1 month to have everything ready for him and he knew these are custom made items. As soon as we shipped the package out and gave him the tracking number then few days later he filed chargeback against us for " item not receive dispute" with his bank and he called DHL to have address change to different address (not the original billing address) which I did not know it can be so easy to change shipping address with DHL. We have filed all of the document to the bank even with tracking number and proofs but after 2 months wait, the bank has returned all the money back to him and say we lost this case. We now lost $4000 and all the products.
    I have tried to contact him numerous times and he just ask us not to bother him and said he has not received the products.
    What is the best option to do? (he's in different state)

jach, Nov 21, 2017 IP
  2. Zoti Media Group

Zoti Media Group Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    $4k via Paypal is a fraud. Next time use Escrow or Western Union. To open a case for $4k its not worth in my opinion as the Lawyer expenses will cost more then that.

Zoti Media Group, Nov 21, 2017 IP
  3. jach

jach Peon

Best Answers:
    I wish I have done this transaction through Paypal, it seen to me paypal review the case more thoroughly and not like credit card companies who favor buyer most of the time. Any suggest legal action I should take? or it's not worth to fight back?

jach, Nov 21, 2017 IP
  4. AkshayB

AkshayB Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi Guys,

There is a great chance that this is chargeback fraud due to the fact that a lot of people who sell car related part are often subjected to chargebacks and chargeback fraud. I quite frankly am tired of merchants continuously being taken advantage of by card companies and customers. I want to help you and anyone else who struggles with chargeback fraud in any way that I can by providing as much info as I can for any problems you as merchants might be facing as well as point you in the right direction to some tools that can help your business run much better.

AkshayB, Jan 9, 2018 IP
  5. Mr victor

Mr victor Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    this is very bad similar thing happened to me

Mr victor, Jan 10, 2018 IP
  6. pmf123

pmf123 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Assholes will chargeback anything over 50$ is my experience. Ive started only taking Western Union for big purchases

pmf123, Jan 11, 2018 IP
  7. dscurlock

dscurlock Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    not sure about getting your money back, however, if you have all the proof, then contact the
    local authorities in his area, and file a police report, they will turn everything over to local DA
    and they will decide if they will press charges, if so, then be prepared to show up to court....

I am not sure about rules and regs of postal carriers, however, I think DHL should take
    some responsibility in this also, for obvious reasons, only the shipper should be able to change
    the address, but since he had the tracking number, then that could go along way, as he
    would have needed to have the tracking number in order to change the final destination.

Did you look up the destination address? If it turns out to be an auto shop
    or something like that, then that is another mark against him as it would
    imply intent, he ordered, then changed the address to his shop...
    or it could be a friends house, not really sure....

Internet Fraud and Lottery/Sweepstakes Fraud by Internet
    Contact the Internet Crime Complaint Center (IC3) online at
    (could not get the link to post, do a search...)

Mail Fraud and Lottery/Sweepstakes Fraud
    Contact the U.S. Postal Inspection Service at 1-800-372-8347, or online at http://postalinspectors.uspis.gov.

It is ironic that you sent his tracking number, and he filed a dispute before the
    items were even due to arrive, and since he did not claim "fraud...."
    then this is an indication that he did make the order, and shows
    clear intention was to commit fraud....

Did DHL tell you that the customer changed the address?
    If so, then you got him; all you need to do is file a police report....

Did you have this $4,000k package insured?
    (as he is claiming it was never received....)

IMO, you maybe able to file the police report in your own
    jurisdiction, and have them forward the report to the
    other parties jurisdiction, would not hurt to inquire...

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
    dscurlock, Jan 17, 2018 IP
  8. mikebvm

mikebvm Member

Best Answers:
    Despite what a lot of consumers may think, initiating a chargeback does not eliminate a debt or money owed to a vendor. If that guy owes you $4000, he owes you $4000. He may be able to pay you and get his money back from the card carrier, but that doesn't change the fact that he still owes you $4000. That amount of money seems like it would be worth pursuing through other means. The sooner you do it, the easier it will be. It sounds like you have decent records and you used a trackable shipping method, so things may be in your favor.

mikebvm, Feb 15, 2018 IP
  9. pmf123

pmf123 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I would never take a payment like that via credit card or Paypal, especially if its a new client.

pmf123, Feb 16, 2018 IP