1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Lost fraudulent charge back when item is shipped to billing address. How?

Discussion in 'Payment Processing' started by kl6, Oct 26, 2017.

Hi guys, we have a website with Shopify which uses Stripe payment processor as the default processor and recently we lost a charge back. The card holder claimed the transaction was fraudulent but the order was shipped and received with valid tracking number to his credit card billing address. We have been online for over 10 years and have fought numerous charge backs, fraudulent claims on an orders that have valid tracking number to the billing address of the card should be automatic win for the merchant. I have contacted Shopify but of course they were no help since this was the card issuer's decision and it was final. If one can file a case like this and win how can anyone still do business online? What can we do now and what can we do in the future to prevent this? Did card issuer change their charge back policy to further side with the card holder? Thank you for your time and i think this is worth discussing.

BTW, we are in US and order shipped within US as well.

kl6, Oct 26, 2017 IP
  2. jestep

jestep Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    The actual reason code on the chargeback was fraud?

jestep, Oct 27, 2017 IP
  3. kl6

kl6 Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, card holder claimed that the transaction was fraud. In fact we contacted the customer and the customer said he just forgot about the purchase so he filed the fraud charge back. He paid us back but i am more concern about how we could lost this case in the first place. If this was a big ticket item it could really hurt.

kl6, Oct 27, 2017 IP
  4. Cevher

Cevher Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Specially here in Us banks mostly give chargeback to costumer and you know they can chargeback up to 6 months so best thing you can do you should collect tracking number and conversations. Probably you lost to case coz you haven't send the information on time. You should check up disputes throu Stripe sometimes

Cevher, Nov 5, 2017 IP
  5. dscurlock

dscurlock Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    banks normally take the word of their customers that they did not make the order, more then likely your merchant has
    many 1000s, maybe even millions of transactions and they may not really fight on your behalf. stripe could have easily contacted the bank, and
    said, here is the proof, billing matched, address matched, and order was shipped to the that address, so my guess would
    be that stripe really does not fight, and if a charge back comes through, they wrap this up by giving the money back
    to the bank which gives the money back to their customer. It is just easier for stripe to give the money back, and charge you all the fees.....
    or do you think they pay customer service $15 hour, and it may take several hours, or even days to conclude that you are right...
    and lets say they did, and it comes out that you were right, so what, ultimately the bank wins, every time, regardless.....
    (unless the customer goes back to the bank to say he made a mistake, then you lose...)

customer/banks have the power, not the 3rd party merchants....
    it is just easier giving you the charge back, and moving onto the next claim....

it maybe personal to you, but for them, it is business....
    (least path of resistance wins....)

Even if you had proof 9 ways to sunday....
    Bank will most always win, and it is ultimately up
    to the bank if they think their customer is a cheat....
    and up to the bank if they allow the chargeback or not....

dscurlock, Nov 6, 2017 IP
  6. exoticpublishing

exoticpublishing Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I do have chargeback prevention services if you are interested.

I'm sorry you lost your case, as someone mentioned, it's stacked against the merchant :(

exoticpublishing, Nov 21, 2017 IP