1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Do you ping Google when you update your sitemap?

Discussion in 'Google Sitemaps' started by John Martinez 2, Aug 14, 2017.

When I update my website, I can see in access logs, that Google downloads my sitemap within 48 hours. If I use something like this - https://submit-sitemap.com/ - I can see in my logs immediately, that Google has downloaded my sitemap.

May I be penalized for pinging Google for pinging them too much?

John Martinez 2, Aug 14, 2017 IP
  2. Sumit_Singh

Sumit_Singh Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Why you do this, submit your sitemap to WT and it's good, there is no need to this. Even if you do not the use the sitemap, there is no issue, but content matters so update the content and Google is smart enough to find the new content in the websites.

Sumit_Singh, Sep 21, 2017 IP
  3. websitetools

websitetools Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If you update your XML sitemap - I do not see any harm in informing Google that you updated it - afterall - why else would Google create a specific option for informing them? :)

Note: Of course you should not be "hammering" Google all the time 24/7 with sitemap pings.

websitetools, Oct 10, 2017 IP
  4. daica85

daica85 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If you submit your sitemap, your site will be indexed quicker. I think that's all for its purpose.

daica85, Nov 16, 2017 IP
  5. Arun Kumar Soni

Arun Kumar Soni Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Don't Ping to Google everything :)

Arun Kumar Soni, Nov 16, 2017 IP
  6. HB Arif

HB Arif Member

Best Answers:
    try again

HB Arif, Nov 20, 2017 IP
  7. Moloove

Moloove Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    In my opinion the result of 48 hours is very good. Why do you want faster? If after 48 hours the pages are not indexed, then you need to look for errors.

Moloove, Jul 30, 2018 IP
  8. Jim Catanich

Jim Catanich Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Pinging Google will just get them upset. There is a better way. Always set up a Search Console (SC) or Webmaster Tools account for the website. Then submit the xml sitemap there (<crawl><sitemaps>). However, if you then make changes to a PAGE, use the SC Fetch feature (<crawl><Fetch as Google>) to resubmit the PAGE. It usually take about 10 minutes to see the results in the SERPs - Check the Cache. However, Google sets what appears to be a 24 hours limit on doing this again on the PAGE. Other pages are fine.

Jim Catanich, Aug 3, 2018 IP
  9. Jim Catanich

Jim Catanich Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Yes you can but it is not needed. Use GSC > Sitemap to "resubmit" the sitemaps. This way you get quick results in seconds.

Jim Catanich, Sep 6, 2020 IP
  10. davilama2682

davilama2682 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I delete my sitemap and submit a new one every time I make any changes. Also, besides xml I would have a text site map page that is hyperlinked to every individual webpage found on my site. The more ways to get to your site/page/map the better. I should be able to find every single page in the sitemap. Your sitemap can provide content, navigation and link juice for you. People need to be informed about what's on your website at all times. This way makes it simple to do.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2020
    davilama2682, Sep 17, 2020 IP