1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

I been punished from my hosting

Discussion in 'General Business' started by fernandofgg, Oct 8, 2017.

Hi all, a good advice will be welcome

I have a dedicate server with this hosting, an expesive one, I will not say the name now or ever

After 7 days of bad support service I complain with the owner of my hosting, I wrote a complaint in the ticket system, I was upset yes because 7 days of not getting the service I paid, but i did not lack of respect ever. After 3 minutes of my complaint my sites went offline, my ticket hasent been answered, my cpannel is not accessible and my SSH access is dead

Its been like that for more than 1 day, no body is talking to me or replying to me and I am pretty sure that I am been punished for that complaint, like I have no right to say what I think!

What a person like me can do about this? I know I cant do a shit obviously, but what do you think

Regards

fernandofgg, Oct 8, 2017 IP
  2. Frost1

Frost1 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think you should have a talk with a lawyer and see what legal action you can take against them if they are holding your data hostage.

Frost1, Oct 8, 2017 IP
    JoeSpirit and sarahk like this.
  3. JoeSpirit

JoeSpirit Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Along with taking legal action if you can, I would move to a different hosting service. Hopefully, you have a backup of your web pages to make a move simple.

JoeSpirit, Oct 9, 2017 IP
  4. phpmillion

phpmillion Member

Best Answers:
    Sounds great in theory, will never work in the real life. Let me tell just some of possible reasons:

1. Hosting provider might say client violated terms of service; therefore, his server was disconnected (and it even may be true!). Since the client agreed to TOS during signup, the case is closed.

2. Many hosting providers (especially small ones) use fake business information (or don't have it at all) on their websites, making it nearly impossible to track them down. Also, even if you manage to track it, it's very likely the provider will actually be based in some country where you have 0 chances to win the legal fight because of the way their law works.

3. It will cost more than it will be worth. According to the experience, the whole process might take up to 2 years (including time to track provider, provide an official complaint, prepare documents for the court, win/loose it, appeal, and so on). During this time, you will not have your data yet, but you will pay several thousands of euros at least (wouldn't be surprises to see the final results at 10.000 EUR or similar) to your lawyer upfront. And that's the best scenario! If you loose, double the sum because you will need to pay for legal expenses of your hosting provider.

4. No matter how legal process goes, it's a 99.999% chance you won't have your data back. You don't believe hosting provider will keep your server untouched for two years, do you? Once server is disconnected, provider will re-setup it for another client, erasing all the data. Because even if you win, and provider doesn't give your data back (since it hasn't it anymore), all you can do after this point is trigger another lawsuit, asking provider to compensate for data. Yay, several thousands euros more for lawyer expenses and another year or two in courts.

To sum up, I would say consider advice about lawyer only and only if your data is worth several thousands of euros and you know it will be worth the same sum after a few years. Otherwise, try any other way (which won't cause a bankruptcy for you) or just forget and move on.

P.S. I worked for one of the larges't hosting providers in the world for 7 years.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
    phpmillion, Oct 10, 2017 IP
    seo_buzz likes this.
  5. dscurlock

dscurlock Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    another case filed under "move on..."
    you ran into another crappy hosting provider that does not give a crap...
    If you had no backup, then you lost your data, and what little money you put into it...

ultimately, in order to keep you from going insane with worry...
    It is just best that you forget them, and move on....

I for one would have post their hosting info to let others know...
    so they bang your head against the wall, and you want to protect them?
    good for you...

good luck...

dscurlock, Oct 10, 2017 IP
    JoeSpirit likes this.
  6. Dynadot

Dynadot Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hi,

What exactly did you say in your ticket?

If it is truly not inflammatory and the host is being malicious/petty, then yes, I'd move on to another host. Everyone says, "talk to a lawyer," but I say, a lawyer will be happy to take your money, whether you are right or wrong, they still get paid. It's usually better to just save yourself the money and the aggravation, and just move on.

Regards,
    Samuel L Dotson

Dynadot, Oct 10, 2017 IP
    HarrisonDaniel likes this.
  7. dscurlock

dscurlock Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    This is not something a lawyer would be interested in, and this is about small vs small and that means
    no money, or very little to begin with, so the plaintiff would have to kick out $250/hr and up.....

So it is easy for people that know nothing about lawyers to say "talk to a lawyer..." as they obviousy
    have never sued or been sued, nor do they really comprehend the actual costs of a lawsuit....

Did you know a trademark infringement lawsuit can run between $20k-$100k? These companies make
    it look simple, however big company vs big company have millions of dollars, so it is nothing to them....
    hire atty @ $250/hr+ > atty does research > files paperwork > files response > file motions of this or that >
    Do we settle early, or do we litigate this case right into hell, which runs up costs even more....

only cowards make lawsuit threats; Those that have money to backup their BS talk
    can get the process underway without making empty threats; any competent person
    would never make a threat online as this could risk the outcome of his/her case.....
    (saying the wrong thing could end your case before it even begins....)

dscurlock, Oct 10, 2017 IP
  8. websheraz

websheraz Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I have been with hostgator and rarely have much problem with them if you follow rules.

Just email them kindly explaining.

websheraz, Oct 15, 2017 IP
  9. gregdavidson

gregdavidson Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    This is why you should only purchase a dedicated server from a legitimate hosting company that stands behind their services.

gregdavidson, Oct 15, 2017 IP
  10. NetStar

NetStar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    You paid for a service. You have the right to use what was rightfully paid for. Personally I'd consult with a lawyer and take the necessary steps toward legal action. However, if you don't have the money then dispute with your credit card company and move your site to a reputable company. You should also make sure you leave a review all over the internet LISTING the name of this crappy company so others don't make the same mistake.

I remember having issues with Gate.com. I left and posted my $.02 online. Horrible company.

NetStar, Oct 15, 2017 IP
  11. phpmillion

phpmillion Member

Best Answers:
    NetStar, posts above already explained why contacting a lawyer will only work in theory and will never work in real life. Honestly, I believe none of persons (who suggested hiring a lawyer) hired a lawyer in their lives. Otherwise, they wouldn't suggest such things.

phpmillion, Oct 16, 2017 IP
  12. NetStar

NetStar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Why would I suggest such a thing? Because my web sites make money and are registered businesses. If a hosting company was to shut down my web site I would lose revenue. Thus I would sue to recover damages. That is why someone would recommend legal action. You would only think it's frivolous if 1. your web site is not generating revenue and serves no purpose or 2. you don't have any money.

Contacting a lawyer will work in theory and in real life because the terms agreed on were breached. You would only NOT suggest legal action if your website was...crap.

NetStar, Oct 16, 2017 IP
  13. phpmillion

phpmillion Member

Best Answers:
    Alright, the only question - how many times you hired a lawyer (if situations were different than this one, it's fine too)?

phpmillion, Oct 17, 2017 IP
  14. kaia_jassi

kaia_jassi Active Member

Best Answers:
    How did you pay? Did you go for chargeback?

kaia_jassi, Oct 17, 2017 IP
  15. maxstone

maxstone Peon

Best Answers:
    That's really a shock. Can you please provide the name of the hosting provider? Maybe you will prevent the future problems with this company in future.

maxstone, Oct 18, 2017 IP
  16. webhost.uk.net

webhost.uk.net Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Best is when you are online take a backup and move to some different provider.

webhost.uk.net, Oct 18, 2017 IP
  17. Paul Swanson

Paul Swanson Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    (WHOAPI): "Always maintain a complete, separate copy of the website’s content. Never allow the only copy of a Website to be in the hands of an ISP."

Paul Swanson, Oct 18, 2017 IP