1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Not Enough Payment but Still Need High Quality Content

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by SEO Content Demon, Mar 3, 2017.

LOTS OF POST OFF TOPIC HERE.. READ THE THREAD... UNDERSTAND THE POINT AND PLEASE BE MUCH MORE SPECIFIC HERE... IT'S NOT OPEN TO ALL... SERIOUSLY!!!

I am a writer myself and have writers to write content. I accept in public, yeah I have writers to write content. I can write but I can't write when my hourly rate isn't mate; I pass such works to other writers and I pay them well.

Now, I am considering the standard pay is $1 / 100 words. But most of the clients don't pay even 1/3 of this payment and they need the "BEST QUALITY CONTENT". Quality comes at a price.

A humble request, don't expect "High Quality Content" if you are not in budget.

P.S. - People think Indian writers are cheap but frankly not. If you pay "Garbage" then you can just expect "Garbage"; nothing else.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2017
    SEO Content Demon, Mar 3, 2017 IP
  2. Dan Brady

Dan Brady Peon

Best Answers:
    I dunno - I consider a penny a word to be remarkably low payment for decent content writing.

Dan Brady, Mar 5, 2017 IP
  3. Anitasol

Anitasol Active Member

Best Answers:
    You know what, as a writer, YOU GOT TO SHOW THEM WHAT YOU'RE WORTH. WHAT YOUR WORD IS WORTH. WHAT YOUR KNOWLEDGE IS WORTH. WHAT YOUR TIME IS WORTH.

But sometimes, the need for money makes people settle for less. And this is taken advantage by these beasts who want to pay cheap but want "quality work". Ha!

Anitasol, Mar 5, 2017 IP
  4. Dan Brady

Dan Brady Peon

Best Answers:
    I disagree. The only person who needs to know what you're worth is you. People who bid less than I'm worth never find out what I'm worth. People who are willing to pay me what I'm worth get the benefit of the work that I do for them. Would I work for a penny a word? Erm.. no. I'm worth more than that, and without exception, my customers agree with me. If they didn't, they wouldn't be my customers.

Dan Brady, Mar 5, 2017 IP
  5. SARubin

SARubin Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Wow! So $5 for a 500 word article is standard?

Not to sound arrogant, but I wouldn't even get out of bed for that price.

The last article I wrote was just under 1000 words and I was paid $300 for it. Of course, that included all the research, and it was a 100% original article. Then I also ran it through the Flesch–Kincaid test, and my Hemingway app, (along with some other programs) for readability stats.

But still... I'm glad no one ever told me what the standard rate was supposed to be, or I never would have asked for more.

(Just for the record, I make a lot more writing sales pieces than for writing articles)

EDIT: Also want to add... While $300 was a decent paycheck for an article, I'm not even in the top 10% of high paid article writers.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
    SARubin, Mar 25, 2017 IP
    matt_62 likes this.
  6. Dan Brady

Dan Brady Peon

Best Answers:
    You mean you actually had to do the work to make your writing worth that much? Imagine my shock and horror. :(

Dan Brady, Mar 25, 2017 IP
  7. BrookeHarper

BrookeHarper Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    $1/100 words isn't a justifiable rate. It's overkill and if you ask me, you shouldn't be accepting work from clients that pay cheap. If you put in effort in what you write, do extensive research on any topic, and ensure that content is 100% original, you should be making more.

You can expect to build a career off a $1/100 word rate. I hope you spend time in making your client/s understand that if it's quality they're after, they should be paying more. Of course, you need to have impeccable English and excellent research and writing skills to prove that.

BrookeHarper, Mar 26, 2017 IP
  8. SEO Content Demon

SEO Content Demon Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    But what to do with a full time freelancer like me?? And if people considering me as a THIRD WORLD COUNTRY??? I AM NOT FROM PAK, OR ANY SUCH COUNTRY??? I am from India... Being considered as a third world writer not getting enough payment???? Do you believe that I get far more price for translation or writing content in Hindi? Far more means more than $3 per 100 words...

SEO Content Demon, Apr 7, 2017 IP
  9. SEO Content Demon

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    In simple words "I have worth". I can understand your words in my language "Hindi", but perhaps you won't understand if I say that "Han mein kar sakta hon". Perhaps you won't. That's why we are better.

10. SEO Content Demon

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    Yeah! It's like a benchmark here on DP.

11. SEO Content Demon

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    I too got some work on your prices. I mean not like that much, but yeah, $90 for just one is not far behind. But for a full timer it's not enough; hope you know well..

12. SEO Content Demon

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    Seems like this thread has become a mocking one :D ... Even low graded are getting paid very well than me... Well, nothing more!!!

13. matt_62

matt_62 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    bro, try and post everything in one go. Avoid double posting. You pretty much need someone to reply, before you can post again on the same thread.

See if you can delete your double posts, and edit your first, so that everything you want to say can be all included in the one post.
    How do people know where you are from? Start a website where people can hire you direct, and just 'forget' to mention where you are from, and use whois protect to protect your ID. Simples.
    Unless your engrish is terrible, noone will know that you are not a native english writer.

I think you mean, "I have value", and yes, I agree with that. Can I ask, why did you choose writing for a career path.
    Ok, storytime kids. Sit on the floor in a circle. Big kids at the back, little kids at the front.
    One of my friends is a professional painter, fully qualified, knows his stuff. He needs $50 an hour to cover his equipment, labour etc. He had to start quoting $25 an hour, and loseing jobs. You get hungry enough you drop your rates just to get a job -> any job. then he drops down to $20 an hour and still losing work to "other ethic groups" (I censored that for the kids up front), and everyone that can hold a paintbrush thinks they can paint....

You know what he did? He upskilled himself, to get into another industry that he enjoys. It is harder to get into his new industry, and you need to be highly skilled and highly motivated to have a chance to get into this. Because it is harder to get into, he is not competing against every man and his dog.
    He now is starting to get paid $1k a day -> doesnt get alot of work each month, still does painting, but now for painting, he simply sets his prices, if he gets the job, good, if not doesnt matter.

So my question is, if writing is not working for you, then what is stopping you from upskilling into something that is a little harder to get into? Having another skill that you can market, can mean that you can say to writing clients, this is the price. take it or leave it. Or if you love writing, why cant you write for yourself. There are many books on amazon, that people can buy for their kindle. Writing a book, might earn you an ongoing income stream.

What if I told you, that you might be earning more then some of the people that are hiring you. I know many stories of people, both online business, and real life business, where the workers are never really happy, 'paid low', etc, but they made money, while boss losses everything.

The biggest issue is this. Everyday new people thinks he can earn money online doing writing. They might lack experience, but they do it cheap. Then buyers think that your price is high. You need to prove your value to the buyer, and show your experience. Writing is the default go-to for people wanting to earn online.

This comment will make me sound racist, and I apologize. Every article I had written by someone from india, I still paid them, but i deleted it. It was garbage. It was trash. One article I re-wrote, the only thing I kept was the title and I think the first word.
    Not just one writer, I have tried a few different writers, and I didnt pay cheap either.
    I know this reputation is not fair. But from experience, its better to hire a native writer that I trust, that I have experience with, that I have some sort of working relationship with for $100, then ten indian writers for $10 each.

matt_62, Apr 9, 2017 IP
  14. QuikTek Info Services

QuikTek Info Services Member

Best Answers:
    Hi

You may try QuikTek Info's writing services for best results.

Regards
    QuikTek Info Services

QuikTek Info Services, Jun 3, 2017 IP
  15. BaskingRock

BaskingRock Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Are you a standard writer or are you an exceptional one?

Let the others pick up the jobs that pay $1/100 words. If you can bring results, and offer more value, then you should be paid more. I have found that you must be willing to cut any business arrangement that isn't fair for you. You can't take anything that comes along, but take only the right jobs at the right pay. Otherwise you will find yourself in contracts that you never wanted to be in, slaving away for some measly amount of cash while your real value is much higher.

Ignore the jobs that won't pay you what you're worth. Only engage when they find value in your work. That's the only way to rise to the top and establish respect for yourself and your skills.

BaskingRock, Jun 3, 2017 IP
  16. coreygeer

coreygeer Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    $1 per 100 words was a joke 10 years ago. The problem is when you go into desperation mode, you start chasing down pennies with the thousands of other penny chasers. My friend is an accomplished software engineer who makes on the lower end of six figures today. You wouldn't know it though if you went to his freelancing profiles because he couldn't find freelancing jobs to save his life. He even went down to $20 an hour which is incredibly insulting for the position he was in. He couldn't land a single client because the majority of forums like this and freelancing sites are full of people without money to their name hoping to earn a hot buck with cheap labor. Just a small spoiler alert: They usually end up out of money with a low quality content site with a high bounce rate.

Take this forum's own content section for example. The "Buying" threads seem to be at an all time slow and here's the first few threads I opened:

- Someone offering $4 to $6 per 500 words (depending on the quality)

- Another "please send me samples" post asking for high quality content (which begs the question, how do some of these people know when they're reading high quality content when they barely type coherent English?)

- Someone asking for people to post insightful financial advice for $1 per 10 posts

On the other hand, some jobs that pay a bit more aren't worth the money. I remember a $5 per 100 word job where the person had asinine demands. Set an hourly rate for yourself and determine whether or not a job will put you under that hourly rate. Don't sell yourself short just for a few quick PayPal payments or you'll be stuck doing that forever. I did that for years and it was impossible to make enough to live. You're constantly chasing down clients, you have no idea when they'll pay you, the amount of work required isn't worth it, you're constantly competing with people willing to go lower and at the end of the day, your ultimate pay-off is enough to earn a happy meal.

When I was writing for cheap, I could write at a $30/hr rate but I sure as hell didn't run any grammar checks on the content or make sure it was top notch. I would Google the term I was writing about, open up one of the first links and basically try to re-write everything that I could to make it unique. I didn't have enough clientele to do a full 40 hour work week, even at that $30/hr rate and if I had put proper research and etiquette into the work, I would've probably been down to a few bucks an hour.

I understand that coming to places like here can completely jade your view about freelancing. I get that 100%. Private clients are the best route to take. They're pickier and they're willing to negotiate a price that doesn't completely shred your dignity. If you don't, you'll end up on a place like Textbroker doing jobs for $1.50 per 100 words with ridiculous demands, where clients can even reject your content. There's nothing worse in the writing field than having a client that can barely type English reject your content for not being "high quality".

Last edited: Jun 13, 2017
    coreygeer, Jun 13, 2017 IP
    course575 likes this.
  17. Gosuperb

Gosuperb Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    This subject can be viewed from so many points of view. First of all, what do you value more: your work or your freedom? Being a freelance writer (or a freelancer of any kind) is a beautiful way to earn money, especially if writing is your true passion, but working this way always comes with a certain risk. It's completely true that writers from third world countries are paid much less than those in more developed countries (or native speakers), but living in an era of internet where we are all connected, you can create your own opportunities and you can have a decent salary. If you are talented, of course. It also comes to your own needs: how much money do you need to live a happy life? And what is more important to you: making career out of your passion of having a job that provides you money?
    Who am I to judge anyone, but I believe that everyone will agree that true quality always finds its way.

Gosuperb, Jul 12, 2017 IP
  18. redzventures

redzventures Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, you would and you deserve more payment. Because Hindi may be more natural for you and easier to project your ideas succinctly. When people ask for English writers who use English as their first language, I know why? They just need specific content that has to read as though a British native wrote it. Simple. It's not abuse but those willing to pay peanuts is abuse! If translation works for you then just keep with that.

About your English writing abilities; there are many British born and bred individuals who cannot begin to write as eloquently as you do. Many of them cannot even write. But truth be said I would quickly guess that English is not your mother tongue and that's only because of your somewhat unavoidable sentence structure. You can train yourself out of that with not too much effort I would imagine.

redzventures, Sep 12, 2017 IP
  19. EspressoChick

EspressoChick Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    A few things to keep in mind, when looking at what someone is willing/able to pay for your writing. Keep in mind that I'm a writer:

1) Some people simply don't understand the value of high-quality writing. I've had clients tell me their traffic has gone up by 400% on the pages or sections I've written. That customers buy through an e-mail I've created for them. Or that they see more comments on their blog. Or the client gets excited, because I'm able to put their thoughts into a written form. Now THAT client is going to understand that writing has value! BUT not every client is going to see the point in paying a writer. They don't realize that great web content can get attention at your site, it can draw in customers, get people to share your blog posts, etc. Even if you tell them, they still don't catch on to this.

2) Some writers do really well when they develop a specialty. Let's say you are a great cook or into gardening, these could become niches that you can write deep knowledge content in. Or if you love pets, maybe you could write content about furry friends (or scaley ones!). Now I do know a few writers making a very good living that refuse to come up with a specialty, but others who are determined to have one, so this all depends on you.

3) Personally, when I work with clients I focus on developing a relationship. So what the heck does that mean? Well, I won't work with a jerk for one thing. Many of my clients send me holiday and birthday gifts and I actually send them to them too! I get to know them and want them to be successful! :) It also means I've had lots of my long-term clients for 8 years or so and I've been writing for 10 years. I didn't start out, determined to make a specific rate of pay. I wanted to work with great people. I can assure you that you'll work harder and enjoy it more when you're working with people you like being around.

Everyone has an opinion about pay rates. Every writer needs to come up with their own ideas, about what they want and need to earn. Do remember that all of us out here on the 'net are probably trying to make money. So when someone offers you a low rate, that may be the very best they can do. What I'm trying to say is that most people don't mean to offend you! If they're new to IM, maybe that's what they can do right now. Let's just all be a little kinder to each other. You don't have to take a job you don't want, but be nice to people. Just sayin'. :)

EspressoChick, Sep 29, 2017 IP