1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Website Design Ideas (Navigation / Menu)

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by Property Solvers, Sep 5, 2017.

Hello all,

This is my first post so apologies for the direct question.

We have a property sales website (search the company "Property Solvers UK" online and it should be at the top) - and, during the initial design phases, I did not include a navigation / menu. We have decided to put one in which will have links to up to 12/13 landing pages and the developer I am working with is struggling to figure out where to place it.

One suggestion is to have some kind of "hamburger" option in the top left hand corner - but we're not sure about that option as not everyone will notice it's a menu. It would be interesting to know if any of the designers on the forum have any innovative solutions, bearing in mind that the website needs to remain responsive.

Your suggestions would be much appreciated...

Many thanks,

Ruban

Property Solvers, Sep 5, 2017 IP
  2. PoPSiCLe

PoPSiCLe Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    I would suggest having a menu as a "bar" between the banner/houses up top and the blue part below it - basically just a text-bar across the content-width, with menu-options (text) as long as the page is viewed on a computer, and changing to just "Menu" or an hamburger icon on smaller screens. Having a drop-down on smaller screens (slide-out, dropdown, something that shows up when clicking the menu) and providing a slightly less confusing option when on a computer.

I would also suggest you fix that annoying sidebar-scroller you have now. There is absolutely NO reason for javascript to be involved in that - just make the damn contact form fixed, or similar, instead of a delayed scroll-effect that is just plain annoying.

PoPSiCLe, Sep 5, 2017 IP
  3. badger_

badger_ Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Hi. I personally prefer a "Show Menu" bannner when hidden instead of the hamburguer. You have an excellent tutorial to do this in an accessible way here: http://cutcodedown.com/tutorial/mobileMenu

You'll find great information about this at nngroup: https://www.nngroup.com/search/?q=hamburguer&searchSubmit=Search

badger_, Sep 6, 2017 IP
  4. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Whilst the hamburger or show/hide is an option (such as that outlined in my article that @badger_ was so nice as to link to), I'd really have to see the design in question to weigh in on that. I agree with the notion that -- at least on desktop -- users might not notice it or realize what it is for. that's why typically the hamburger is only used for smaller displays and not all the time.

You might consider adding a intermediate page containing those links and front-page linking to that. So called "drill down" navigation through the various pages. Whilst an extra page-load it has higher accessibility and indexes great for search. Even when I provide the hamburger I'll often do this too so that search and users on non-visual UA's have something useful to work with. It is usually very hard to screw up if you use a multi-pronged attack on the problem.

It also addresses the larger problem of "link overload" where you can literally put so many links on a page, nobody can find what they are looking for. That's why categorizing large pages of links is important, and why sites like E-Bay will have the most oft used categories in their dropdown, but a link to the full page of all categories as a "see all" option.

THOUGH if you are having trouble finding room to place the menu, that could call into question the integrity of the design -- that type of issue often arises when you've let some PSD jockey under the DELUSION that they know what design is spank out pretty pictures in Photoshop, instead of having actually hired an ACTUAL designer who is knowledgeable of progressive enhancement, graceful degradation, and accessibility norms. In some ways it sounds like you worked at it backwards, starting from appearance and adding content, instead of working from a completed content or reasonable facsimile of future content towards having a layout.

It's part of why I advocate the "content first" approach to design and development. If you are having problems over something this simple, the whole layout could be flawed to the bone and need to be pitched in the garbage for being filled with "not viable for web deployment" design and methodology.

deathshadow, Sep 6, 2017 IP
  5. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Side note, "12 to 13" landing pages sounds like multiple websites... if they're related enough to be featured 'up top' instead of lower down on a sidebar, that level of cross-promotion sounds... problematic and flawed in concept.

deathshadow, Sep 6, 2017 IP
  6. vasek160

vasek160 Peon

Best Answers:
    Good afternoon! I suggest you install a callback widget for the site. This will allow you to answer any question guest of your website anytime, anywhere. That will allow you to increase your sales and bring your site to the next level!

vasek160, Mar 25, 2018 IP