1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Considering migrating to a Joomla CMS

Discussion in 'Joomla' started by Ash Stronge, Mar 30, 2015.

Hi all,

Currently use a WordPress website and most of my clients also have a WordPress website.

I have used Drupal infrequently in the past, but have an opportunity to migrate one of my sites to a Joomla system.

My question is- what are the main advantages of Joomla in comparison to Wordpress? Are there any features, benefits or drawbacks that I should be aware of before starting? Or general opinions and comments on Joomla platform itself would be greatly appreciated.

Ash Stronge, Mar 30, 2015 IP
  2. Petmana

Petmana Peon

Best Answers:
    Great question. My answer is based on my experiences working with a Joomla project for many years and 2 years wordpress experience.
    I am no coder, when I started i don't even know how to really use a computer but I used to play RPG in 2008 and always love to learn how to hack. ;)

To make the story short, i studied business not web building at all. Then i was introduced to a friend who worked on a project and was looking for a data encoder and beta tester of a Joomla site.

Joomla Experience

First day of work, i have no freaking idea what Joomla or CMS is. I played for a week with the Joomla setup and familiarizing it, i loved it and become good at it easily. Now I am building websites and still working on the same project but i am not a prorject manager not a beta tester anymore. ;)

+Joomla is freaking powerful, i love the menus| modules and how can I assign ACL to it and display it to a specific page.
    +You do not need to hack the code to make something work

Cons
    -It lacks of a decent plugins who are doing real work, most of them disappear in few years due to lack of monetisation. I've assisted alot of site and most of the extensions are already dead.
    -It does not have a real blogging feature, you need K2 or buy paid extension, which I think should be a core feature
    -Joomla is difficult to learn for people who has no passion to learn new things (I was 21 at that time, so I have full energy)
    -No free professional looking default themes, unlike wordpress it has a tone of it.
    -Forum support is slow and not friendly at times

WordPress Experience

When i started to work on WP projects, it started super easy coming from Joomla and it definitely faster to launch a site.

+Easy to learn and understand
    +You have a ton of plugins that you can find in the directory.
    +Forum is very lively, you get answer very fast and friendly individual

Cons
    -i always need to go in to the code to do simple stuff, in Joomla no need.
    -No acl for widgets/modules, quiet a turn off and need plugin to do it or hack again which is not for a non-technical
    -I don't understand how a page and assign specific widget to it
    -You need really alot of plugins installed to build something professional, it is okay but not good for optimization

Hope my answer help you decide.

Petmana, Apr 21, 2015 IP
    Saputnik likes this.
  3. salmanshafiq

salmanshafiq Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Wordpress is 100 times better then Joomla ... I think you should go for wordpress instead...

salmanshafiq, Aug 13, 2017 IP
  4. Spartan14

Spartan14 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I think the wordpress its the way to go .Its more simple you have all the plugins that help you and its used by majority of people

Spartan14, Aug 14, 2017 IP
  5. webhost.uk.net

webhost.uk.net Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    When we work around with Joomla, Wordpress, Drupal each one will have its pros and cons , the most important point lies in the functionality expected in your project accordingly selection of the CMS application can help better.

webhost.uk.net, Aug 14, 2017 IP
  6. TaylorCTU

TaylorCTU Peon

Best Answers:
    If you don't have any coding experience go with wordpress.

If you want to have full control and everything easily editable go with Joomla. I feel really restricted with Wordpress. To me Joomla is the choice for people who know what they're doing.

TaylorCTU, Jan 15, 2018 IP