1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is Wordpress best program for making websites these days?

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by Captainkirk91, May 1, 2017.

1. PoPSiCLe

PoPSiCLe Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Not to mention that he's failing quite a bit on the WCAG recommendations. I'm pretty sure he doesn't even KNOW he's failing them, but hey...

PoPSiCLe, Aug 2, 2017 IP
  2. locals

locals Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    As you can see everyone... I sell domain names, I do not build sites. LOL, so I completely enjoy wordpress and woocommerce as it allows me to display my websites in a neat and professional manner that enables me to list and sell my domain names in a VISUALLY APPEALING manner

So for all the accusations of me trying to sell my web development services are completely irrelevant which these individuals that are against wordpress have accused me of doing in multiple threads.

So once again, if I inform you or another individual on paying SOMEONE/ANYONE 495-995 to install a wordpress site, it is not because I am trying to backdoor you a sale.

Now as far as this guy claiming I am a domain name squatter... dont you think I would have UDRP actions against ANY of my domain names LOL

locals, Aug 2, 2017 IP
  3. PoPSiCLe

Best Answers:
    Does it? To me it SCREAMS "we have no content", so we're using parallax (which was fun two years ago) and a "clean" design to show what could have fitted in maybe two actual pages - instead I have to scroll forever to get... next to no information. Yes, it looks pretty, but it's not a GOOD site.

PoPSiCLe, Aug 2, 2017 IP
  4. locals

locals Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Once again, can anyone show me a visually appealing site that they own... because the links in your guys signature LOOK LIKE STRAIGHT ASSHOLE

I sell domain names, not content, not development... So please explain to me how what I am doing is wrong

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2017
    locals, Aug 2, 2017 IP
  5. PoPSiCLe

Best Answers:
    When it comes to domain-name hoarding, I am of the notion that you shouldn't be allowed to own a domain for more than two months before you HAVE to use it for something (apart from "this domain is for sale") before it goes back on the open market. I have no idea what you do, @locals - I'm gonna give you the benefit of the doubt, but there is absolutely no reason for anyone to own a domain they are not planning on using, or has nothing to do with their business or personal life.

PoPSiCLe, Aug 2, 2017 IP
    locals likes this.
  6. locals

locals Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    and not once in any of these posts or any of my previous posts have I pushed that agenda

I agree, I have and have had HUGE ideas on developing ALL of them to be great in the niche that they were acquired for. However, I can not build all of them out at once, and even though I have tried numerous times I have decided on how to BOOTSTRAP REVENUE for my projects so that I can grow them out as I need them.

I am an entrepreneur, I have great ideas, at least that I think are great all the time. And they need a domain name. So I buy it.

locals, Aug 2, 2017 IP
  7. PoPSiCLe

Best Answers:
    If all you do is sell domain names, why are you blabbering on about your skills as a dev? That's what I can't fathom. And you might think my site is ugly - it's very simple, and it does what it needs to do on all devices :) It doesn't have to be flashier than it is today, because it's does what it needs to do very well.

Which then means you're sitting on lots of domain-names you are NOT using, even though you have a vague plan on maybe using them in the future. That is one of the things I want to avoid, because it clogs up domain names for others that needs them NOW, with an actual plan in motion. There is way too much domain squatting, and asking ridiculous prices for domains that is visibly not in any use for anything. Not even mail-

PoPSiCLe, Aug 2, 2017 IP
  8. locals

locals Well-Known Member

Best Answers:

Should've bought it first... what makes your/their idea better than mine? Or more authoritative, because I have more projects going on than them. I will eventually get around to it.

Also to answer your question about what I am claiming my development skills are... I have NEVER CLAIMED TO BE A DEVELOPER... I said I could put together a nicer and more functioning website using WORDPRESS than ANY DEVELOPER CAN BUILD FROM SCRATCH... and that is the truth, anyone that knows how to operate wordpress can do the same!

Also I am using ALL of them... to create a portfolio of domain names for sale for anyone that would like to lease or buy a domain name :D

The only reason I will ever build out a site, is to get traffic in order to sell the domain name for more... Just like everyone else in the industry.

I only own a few hundred, I am no domain investor. However, if you would ever like to acquire an ULTRA premium domain name I do know individuals that have THOUSANDS of domain names in their portfolio that THEY ARE NOT USING and will be more than happy to sell you one for $500,000 plus.

So please, none of you tell me you have any sort of CLUE as to what I do. You have no idea LOL

but please do feel free to link to any other domain names sales pages that you feel I may own, as then maybe someone will be interested in one of the many hundred domain names that I currently own for my own future projects that I could start at ANY time

Because I can successfully install wordpress and any theme I LIKE, just like all of you, you do not care about certain aspects because it fills the need for you... why can that not be the case for me?

You think I care how much code is in the background??? LOL that would be stupid... instead I want to create the idea of what YOUR site could look like if you cared about it...

Then if code was such a concern then you grab one of these code nazis like deathshadow at the early stages of development and have him dissect the code before you buy it... BUT THAT WAS NOT MY CONCERN - As I sell domain names... ON THAT PARTICULAR SITE

locals, Aug 2, 2017 IP
  9. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    In other words, all flash, no substance. His sites are like a pretty facade attached to a condemned building.

I bet this joker thinks that Google Plus, and every single Android app looks like "1989" too; since he clearly NEVER heard of Materials Design

https://material.io/guidelines/material-design/introduction.html

Code (markup):
    (coded since xenforo's stupid malfing 'auto link turn the title into the link BULLSHIT is blocked as 405 by the Goog!)

or flat plus / flat 2.0
    https://www.nngroup.com/articles/flat-design/

Which is the sensible response to flat design going too far the other direction away from the polar opposite - skeuomorphism. In that way true "flat" design fell into the trap of false simplicty:

https://baymard.com/blog/false-simplicity

Lands sake both cutcodedown and the elementals.js sites lift damned near directly from Materials design -- all I really did was flip the shadow direction to make more sense "to me" -- as the button 'rising up' on mouse-over feels back-assward to me.

Meaning that @locals also has no clue what goes on in REAL design -- since REAL design isn't JUST about the art. It's about the specifications, user needs, user limitations, limitations of the medium, accessibility guidelines, user experience.

All of which his sites go full Pakled on. You never go full Pakled.

Actually, the way he's slopping sites together makes me think he is a bit like the Pakled. They look for things... things to make them go. Probably why he threw a job offer my way that QUICKLY showed once I got details what a half-assed job he does on things. "He is smart, he can make us go..."

Though the way he alternates between wild claims of site superiority to "that's not what I said at all, I'm no expert" has all the coherency and internal consistency of a ball of yarn... or the current wave of "Alternative facts" where certain people in certain jobs of power can't even keep their lies straight. It's like the joker who pads his resume to get a tech job, and doesn't realize until after he's been hired he's so far in over his head he's lucky if afterwards anyone will hire him to mop floors.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2017
    deathshadow, Aug 2, 2017 IP
  10. deathshadow

Best Answers:
    For you children who don't know the reference.

I still would have beamed them over a crate of x-lax as a present.

deathshadow, Aug 2, 2017 IP
  11. locals

locals Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I offered you a writing job, because all you do is write lengthy paragraphs, so I figured I'd employ you for what you were good at... I did not contact you to make me a visually appealing website did I?

locals, Aug 2, 2017 IP
  12. mmerlinn

mmerlinn Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I guess you have never looked at Craigslist. It is UGLY. It is FAST. The coding is not the best, BUT MILLIONS OF PEOPLE USE IT EVERY DAY. According to YOU (someone who CL does not give a flying purple fish about) it is horrible. According to CL and its USERS, it is the BEST such site on the planet.

My site was built years ago to standards applicable at that time and is ERROR FREE >>> https://validator.w3.org/check?uri=...ct+automatically)&doctype=Inline&group=0&ss=1

You apparently glanced at my site, but you obviously did not take time to read the follow note:

# <!--
    # Note to anyone reading this source code:
    # This source does not use CSS nor any tags which are not compatible with NS4 and earlier or IE5 and earlier.
    # The reason is that a very large percentage of the page viewers still use browsers non-compatible with CSS and DOM.
    # When this percentage drops significantly, this page will be updated for more modern browsers.
    #
    # In the meantime, if you see any way that this page or others within this domain can be improved
    # and still maintain early browser compatability, please enlighten me.
    #
    # NOTE: Even with the flaws and lack of modern design, these pages generate more sales than we are prepared to handle.
    # As a result beginning 1Nov2011 our policy becomes: If it ain't broke, don't fix it. So, unless there is a COMPELLING
    # reason to upgrade, there will be no further upgrades.
    # -->

That in a nutshell is my policy regarding the website - keep it as accessible as possible to the people that MATTER (the PAYING customers) while IGNORING people (like YOU) that do NOT MATTER. YOUR opinion of the site is USELESS because you are NOT a REAL user of the site.

There is not, and never has been ANY reason to update it. My CUSTOMERS DO NOT CARE WHAT MY SITE LOOKS LIKE. They ONLY care about ONE THING, finding parts to fix their cars! My site is DESIGNED to do just that and has fed me for over 10 years! It does its job. It is not broken. I try to keep it error-free. I am not stupid enough to fix something that is not broken.

I don't know what speed test you are using, but it is WORTHLESS. My site OUTPERFORMS most sites by several factors of magnitude on most platforms. Why? Little to no junk code, no humongous images, no jQueery, minimal handshaking, no invisible unreadable fonts, a consistent layout throughout all 10,000 plus pages, and so on. My site is even fast enough to run on DIALUP, which is probably IMPOSSIBLE for any crap you put out. And, yes, dialup is still a fairly common option in the U.S. and in some areas sometimes the ONLY viable option. My site is DESIGNED to reach the MAXIMUM number of potential customers from ANY walk of life on ANY platform whether modern or obsolete. Is yours? Not a chance. Too damned slow to reach dialup customers, too damned power hungry to reach battery powered customers, and so on. I have not seen your actual site, but I bet you even hate blind people.

If you want a REAL speed test, try using dialup to access sites. Even though I am on high-speed cable, I periodically test my site on dialup just to make sure it is fast enough for dialup users. Have you ever tested yours using dialup?

According to Google Webmaster Tools, the Click Through Rate (CTR) to my site in Google search varies between TEN (10) and TWELVE (12) PERCENT! What about YOUR SITES? In fact, based on what I read on the net, the NORMAL CTR seems to be around THREE (3) percent. If that 3 percent is true, then it is PROOF IN THE PUDDING that my site, as much as it hurts YOUR eyes, is MAGNITUDES better than MOST sites on the internet, INCLUDING YOURS. And the real proof is in the people who constantly buy from me, even though I have HUNDREDS of larger competitors around the world on the internet THAT NO ONE CAN FIND!

Also, according to Google Webmaster Tools, the AVERAGE search results position for the TENS of THOUSANDS of keywords on my site tends to vary between position SEVEN and position TEN on the FIRST page of the search results. WHAT is YOUR average position?

Finally, If an error is brought to my attention, I FIX IT, I do NOT make EXCUSES. If you find an error, do your CIVIC DUTY and show me WHERE and the next update of that page will have the ERROR FIXED.

mmerlinn, Aug 3, 2017 IP
    MrKing01 likes this.
  13. locals

locals Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    LOL great job comparing your site to CL... Your site is a joke and the color coordination is horrendous to say the least... your CTR has nothing to do with BOUNCE RATE

you can make any excuse in the world why your site looks like ass... but like you said once before - You can put makeup on a pig, but it is still a pig. Like your site... it looks like ASSHOLE

locals, Aug 3, 2017 IP
  14. mmerlinn

Best Answers:
    Who gives a flying fart about which looks best? The @deathshadow site is USEFUL - the @locals site is USELESS.

OOPS, not quite. The @locals site is being used to DECEIVE potential buyers, so it is indeed useful for a liar and a crook.

First I never made ANY comparison between my site and CL. Your imagination is running wild.

My site is DESIGNED to do a job, and was DESIGNED to do so BEFORE the artsy fartsy bullshit like Turdpress, Bootcrap, and jQueery were even a wet dream. And even today, my site does what Turdpress et alia CANNOT do - reach the customers I WANT, so why in hell would I want to change what works?

BTW, since YOU want to compare CL to my site, take a look at this page from CL >>> https://validator.w3.org/nu/?doc=ht...Cg4%7Cquicksilver+-hp+-hewlett&showsource=yes

Wow! Errors out the ying yang. PROOF THAT MY SITE IS BETTER THAN CL.

Yup, I said that about pigs. But you are forgetting, I am not putting lipstick on my site since we BOTH agree that my site is UGLY. The difference is that the people that MATTER (those who feed me) DON'T CARE, while the people that DO NOT MATTER (like you) get into a big hissy fit about how ugly it is.

EXACTLY CORRECT. Results are the end all be all test of ANY site. Can results be improved? Sometimes. But one MUST be very careful else the results go to ZERO. If you fix what is not broken, it is likely to become very broken.

If you want to improve results, TWEEK your CURRENT site. If the results improve, keep the tweeks, if not reverse them. Rinse and repeat. NEVER EVER START OVER FROM SCRATCH HOPING THAT THE NEW SITE WILL PRODUCE THE SAME RESULTS. That is a recipe for disaster, akin to throwing out the baby with the bath water.

mmerlinn, Aug 3, 2017 IP
  15. deathshadow

Best Answers:
    Do something about the pure yellow. That could drive people away. I'd also ditch the serif fonts for compromising legibility....

deathshadow, Aug 4, 2017 IP
  16. mmerlinn

Best Answers:
    I am assuming that you are talking about the landing page color. 99+% of my customers never see that page. However, point taken. What color do you suggest?

Serif fonts are not supposed to be on any of my pages, so I will find the problem and fix it.

Thanks.

mmerlinn, Aug 4, 2017 IP
  17. locals

locals Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    locals, Aug 4, 2017 IP
  18. deathshadow

Best Answers:
    What, you mean like Mozilla? You do know that's why Firefox is even a THING, RIGHT?!?
    https://donate.mozilla.org/en-US

Or Ubuntu?
    https://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/contribute

Or Debian?
    https://www.debian.org/donations

Or Fedora?
    https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Donations

Or CentOS?
    https://wiki.centos.org/Donate

Or LibreOffice?
    https://donate.libreoffice.org/

Or the GIMP? I'm not a fan but it's a COMPLETELY viable Photoshop alternative -- even does some things better (like save for web)
    https://www.gimp.org/

If it wasn't for the GIMP and people donating to it, we probably wouldn't have the GD library PHP --- and by extension a lot of things in systems like wordpress and its plugins -- uses for image handling.

How about KDE?
    https://www.kde.org/community/donations/

If not for KDE it is likely Konqueror would never have happened... no Konqueror means no webkit / safari and by extension no blink based Chrome/Chromium/Vivaldi/Opera, node.js, nw.js, electron...

You've heard of Konqueror, right?
    https://konqueror.org/features/browser.php

Notepad++ used by a LOT of developers?
    https://notepad-plus-plus.org/donate/donate-action.html

Here's one for you:
    https://www.linuxfoundation.org/about/linux-donate

That one ALONE should be a quadruple helping of Sierra Tango Foxtrot Uniform on your feeble mind.

You do know Wordpress started out as a donation based free project before they moved to subscriptions after picking up enough people right?

Just keep firing blanks -- dimes to dollars your sites are on software that's free because other people were nice enough to donate to the authors, or contribute their time to make it better -- just proving what an ignorant camel-mannered tunic-wearing mollycoddle you really are.

You must REALLY hate the very concept of Patreon... assuming you even huffing know what that is.

Crowdfunding/donation based projects and sites are an entirely viable and in fact essential part of the web, and life in general. If it wasn't sites like Patreon, Kickstarter, GoFundMe, etc, etc. wouldn't exist. In fact depending on the product market (video games for example) it's possible to make a better product with more money using kickstarter donations than it is to borrow from conventional lenders and then HOPE people buy the finished product.

... and sometimes the finished product is even better than the conventional approach to funding a software package.

But sure, be dismissive of all that too just like you're dismissive of web standards, accessibility, and usability. Do the world a favor, and go back to /b/ -- oh wait, that site's afloat from a mix of adverts and donations too isn't it?

Last edited: Aug 4, 2017
    mmerlinn likes this.
  19. deathshadow

Best Answers:
    Oh, and just to keep rubbing your nose in it there @locals

http://apache.org/foundation/contributing.html
    ... and remember, Apache goes toe to toe with M$ IIs, usually kicking its ass. (though there are even better options like ngnix). Donateware that's got four times the marketshare of Microsofts half-assed attempt at making web servers. There's a REASON Microsoft is in a firm third place on number of servers, and a firm first place on "money pit" in terms of development costs.
    [​IMG]

How about this one.
    https://mariadb.org/donate/

In case you are unaware, most *nix distros are abandoning mySQL for MariaDB because Oracle can't see past their own nose and keeps pissing on the IP's they keep buying up, pissing off the developers who keep telling Oracle to fork off, and then fork off the project since duh, open source. See LibreOffice vs. OpenOffice. It's for now nearly a 1:1 drop-in replacement with more active development.

But sure, rag on people for having donations as part of their web projects. When you're done take that rag, and mop your drool off the floor.

mmerlinn likes this.
  20. locals

locals Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Great job comparing your sites to something that actually deserves a donation. I'd be surprised if it's even worth the embarrassment for you to put it on your site, but I can guarantee you @mmerlinn should just add that all donations will go toward building a better site and he would get more than he does now

locals, Aug 4, 2017 IP