1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Strategy - Instagram is the new email?

Discussion in 'Social Networks' started by Lloyd Jong, Jul 26, 2017.

Hey guys, I am building a marketing strategy for a client and I would love to get new ideas for Instagram DM strategies.

Most of you will agree that Instagram is creeping up to become the next email and I am trying to convince a client to get started with this strategy :

1) Use Instagram stories posts as hooks - get followers to send a DM to the brand. (ex: Q&A)

2) Send a simple thank you message to the followers and ask they want to join an exclusive DM group and get VIP content.

3) Offer series of exclusive content in different DM groups of multiple audiences with targeted messages. (also, use these DM groups as focus groups to pre-launch new products)

So far this is what I have. Opinions are welcome!

Thanks,

Lloyd Jong, Jul 26, 2017 IP
  2. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    I guess it depends on your target market. If your target is young adults then it should work fine. Older people, probably not so much. Want to sell me electrical appliances? plumbing services? not going to work

sarahk, Jul 26, 2017 IP
  3. Lloyd Jong

Lloyd Jong Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes you right, I should've specified that my client target audience are young adults 18-30.

Lloyd Jong, Jul 27, 2017 IP
  4. Rakenson

Rakenson Member

Best Answers:
    I think this would work quite well with young adults. As a young adult myself I find it quite appealing. It has a nice bit of exclusiveness and we use Instagram a lot. Once Instagram email becomes more used I think this would be a good strategy among young adults. Depending on your client's business it would be cool to see some of the DM's from the followers (depending on the DM) posted on the page just to show more inclusiveness. A feeling like they are apart of the business.

Rakenson, Jul 28, 2017 IP
  5. thebrandman

thebrandman Member

Best Answers:
    I don't know anyone who believes this. Email is still email. Instagram is merely a social image sharing website. The two are very different, with very different purposes.

thebrandman, Jul 28, 2017 IP
  6. atsad

atsad Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I think, no one will agree on this concept. Neither will Instagram itself have such plan!

atsad, Aug 6, 2017 IP
  7. Simon Baker

Simon Baker Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Problem now with IG is that its members are primarily young folk, not necessarily have that much money hence retention tends to drop after a while.

Simon Baker, Aug 8, 2017 IP
  8. KylieSweet

KylieSweet Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Instagram is not applicable to all if you want to use it wisely for effectiveness in the campaign and reputation. The target audience must be the basis.

KylieSweet, Aug 8, 2017 IP
  9. Doomm

Doomm Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Anyway - Instagram is surely great way to work with some parts of your audience. As Sarahk stated - if you are targeting f.e. young adults, you should definitely give it a try

Doomm, Aug 9, 2017 IP
  10. Sarah - Dufferin Media

Sarah - Dufferin Media Active Member

Best Answers:
    I do not agree that Instagram is the new email. They are both separate marketing tools.

That being said your idea is solid and worth a test given your target market on Instagram.

Sarah - Dufferin Media, Aug 12, 2017 IP