1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Help, my domain name was hacked

Discussion in 'Domain Names' started by GeoffJoffy, Jul 22, 2017.

Hi, I wonder if anyone can help me. Great forum by the way.

I have a small personal website which I sometimes sell stuff on.

Today someone I know said that my website had disappeared and in its place was a long list of spam links to other websites. So I went to the URL, and she was right. Someone (I assumed) had hacked into my hosting package and altered my main index page.

But when I went to my hosting package panel my password was still the same and all my files were there. Including the main index file. I couldn't see the page the hacker used that had replaced all my content. So I went to my DNS settings, changed them and the website host and still there is no change. Despite all this I still see the list of spam links. :(

My question is can a hacker still use someones domain name, even though they have no access to the dns settings or my host?? Thanks in advance.

GeoffJoffy, Jul 22, 2017 IP
  2. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    They'll probably be exploiting a backdoor in a plugin or script that you've got running on your site.

Restoring from backup is generally a good idea but that may still leave you vulnerable if the problem was a script in the first place.

You may be running your site through a file called index.php, check that there isn't an index.html on your server that you don't recognise.

sarahk, Jul 22, 2017 IP
  3. GeoffJoffy

GeoffJoffy Peon

Best Answers:
    Thank you very much Sarah. Much obliged. I just checked the domain content, and my content is back. Looks like moving it and changing the DNS have worked.

One slight problem though. When the www. is missed off my url, I still see that spam content...

I guess it must be still active somewhere...

4. GeoffJoffy

GeoffJoffy Peon

Best Answers:
    This is utterly baffling. If I don't type in the www. and just use the URL without that, I am still getting that spam list.

I even went to my host and deleted all the files, so I was just left with the parent directory of the server, but when I typed in my website URL, minus the www. that list of spam is STILL THERE.

Very confusing and annoying, especially since I am on a different website host now?????