1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

VPS alternative?

Discussion in 'Site & Server Administration' started by dpb112, Jul 1, 2017.

English is not my first language so please forgive me.

I chose VPS from ovh for my website after many recommendations, but I honestly hate it. I never really understood linux and using putty. I managed to follow tutorials and setup my website. It has been running fine for the past 6 months, until few days ago. The problems have no stopped.

I have 20gig space, and I found out that it was full. Initially I thought it would be enough, but I started uploading a lot of gifs, and pictures in my posts. It's funny because my site starts working normally again the minute I start deleting things in my FTP. The minute the files are done deleting, its broken again. So from the time I start deleting, to it finishes the deletion, it works perfectly ok. . Anyways I deleted some space from site and saved 5 gigs. Now I find out Inodes are ful and no idea on how to fix that. I bought 50 gig additional disk, but I have no idea on how to merge it with my initial 20 gigs. I've searched the end of internet since 3 days ago, and still not able to figure it out. I ended up just upgrading my VPS hoping OVH would just merge the additional space when they update it. Well they did update it, but it is still showing 20 gigs. I contacted them 2 days ago and still no response.

I'm just not familiar with this type of stuff. I know how to run wordpress flawlessly lol, but this back-end stuff is not easy.

So, now I don't know what to do. Should I stick with VPS? Or is there easier solution? My VPS is on Debian 8 and vesta cp. My site requirements are simple, I post articles with pictures and gifs and embed videos from various sites. I am getting 20-30,000 visits a day.

What do you guys think I should do ?

dpb112, Jul 1, 2017 IP
  2. RHS-Chris

RHS-Chris Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hello there,

You made the move to a VPS I would assume for a good reason, based on that assumption I would again assume you would not be able to go back to shared hosting. You have a couple of choices, hire a systems admin on a per case basis (or on a monthly basis) or move to a fully managed VPS server.

It sounds like the issues you are having is that by running out of space some of the services stopped due to not being able to write to the disk. OVH may have added the space, but you would need to modify the partition to take advantage of it. Based on timing, I would suggest you look at hiring a sys admin for a one time fee to get your sites/server back up and running.

Regards,
    Chris

RHS-Chris, Jul 1, 2017 IP
  3. Blank ™

Blank ™ Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Blank ™, Jul 1, 2017 IP
  4. dpb112

dpb112 Peon

Best Answers:
    I did those steps already, and it didn't do anything.

dpb112, Jul 1, 2017 IP
  5. Blank ™

Blank ™ Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Have you tried contacting OVH (technical) support? I highly doubt they would refuse to help for a few bucks or so extra and set it up for you if things are really failing.

Blank ™, Jul 1, 2017 IP
  6. scott_r

scott_r Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Self-managing anything but a static site on a VPS without knowing a lot about security a web server is asking for trouble. 20-30k uniques a day isn't a huge amount of traffic (depending on what your site does, that is). You should check out a higher-end shared hosting if you wanted to go cheaper, or get a managed VPS provider that will handle updates and security for you.

scott_r, Jul 1, 2017 IP
  7. billzo

billzo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You should tell us what your budget is. With that many visitors, you could/should have a revenue stream. OVH is bare bones, rock bottom price, no support and by that it means no support. Your traffic is probably too big for any shared server. You could look into "business" class shared hosting and ask various hosts if they could accommodate your traffic level (I don't think it is likely but you would have to ask).

If you want or need to have a VPS, you could look for a cPanel VPS. cPanel will do most of the managing of the server, updating software and such. If you run into problems though, you would still be on your own without support. If you want support, it is going to cost you money. If you don't know how to operate a server, you will need to rely on a good admin panel like cPanel. But we need to know what your budget is.

billzo, Jul 1, 2017 IP
  8. Dan_Kibeth

Dan_Kibeth Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    In my opinion leave it at that, back up what you need, scrap what you currently have with OVH, and go with a provider which offers automatic setup of Wordpress, I know DigitalOcean and other services offer this out of the box on a $10 VPS. That way you'll skip most of the back end stuff, and there will be guides for anything that's compulsory :)

Dan_Kibeth, Jul 3, 2017 IP
  9. Quarind

Quarind Peon

Best Answers:
    Start with shared hosting, mostly you have been a:
    1. Configured web interface
    2. FTP, SSH
    3. A lot cheap disk space
    I think in your case you no need VPS.

Quarind, Aug 30, 2017 IP
  10. Allen James

Allen James Active Member

Best Answers:
    Better go to a managed VPS and they will help you with everything. It depends which company you are going to choose, of course. But ask your questions to their support and find a solution. When you have 20-30k unique visits per day, you should be earning some money that you will be able to pay more for a web hosting solution. ;)

Allen James, Sep 2, 2017 IP