1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Question about using (premade) wordpress themes

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by Captainkirk91, Jun 20, 2017.

Hello, i am a inspiring web designer looking to begin designing sites for friends/family. I have been working hard on my website for the past few months using a local server (xampp) on WordPress and planning to launch it here in the future. A couple of friends reached out to me and want me to make sites for them so i had a rather important question to ask. Currently i just use the free themes that you can install on word-press to modify and build my sites. I know they are other peoples code that they are generous enough to let others use on word-press so i take advantage of that and use the premade code in the themes as a base to build my site and i have found it to be extremely easy and helpful. I have developed a few basic extremely beginner style themes with the basic of the basic of code php, JS, boot strap etc. But i am by no means a master web developer so coding a entire beautiful theme would take me extremely long time. Is it normal for people to use the premade themes to make websites for people? i don't want to violate any copy right laws or any of that and i am extremely in the dark on this and seeking advice. any info would be great ! thank you

Captainkirk91, Jun 20, 2017 IP
  2. kennedygitahi

kennedygitahi Active Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    Wordpress and all of its code falls under the GPL license meaning you can use it however you want. All the free themes on WordPress theme repository also fall under this license but for commercial themes, you have to obtain a licence from the marketplace or the author you buy the theme from. Yes, it is normal to use other people's themes to create WordPress websites and it is also ok to modify these themes to create your own provided you give proper attribution to the original author.

kennedygitahi, Jun 21, 2017 IP
  3. Captainkirk91

Captainkirk91 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    ok awesome ! Thank you very much.

Captainkirk91, Jun 21, 2017 IP