1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Best way to tell client of new charges?

Discussion in 'General Business' started by cgl102770, May 17, 2017.

I set up some online forms for a clients website years ago. Initially, I used the account for multiple clients, though for the last few years it's only been the one client. This client doesn't send me much work anymore, and I'd like to have them start paying the $15 a month fee the online form maker charges. It doesn't sound like much money though over the last 5 years it's cost me $900.

Just curious what the best way would be to word this in an email since that's their preferred form of communication. It's a little different than raising one's rates, so not sure how to say it. Thank you for any suggestions.

cgl102770, May 17, 2017 IP
  2. webcosmo

webcosmo Notable Member

Best Answers:
    If you are in touch over the phone often, best way is give them a call and explain.

Otherwise I would think email is best approach with an explanation.

To me this would be a hard sell though. Good luck!

webcosmo, May 17, 2017 IP
  3. Milliardo

Milliardo Active Member

Best Answers:
    If you still have his phone number, then calling him would be nice. Otherwise, email might be good.

Milliardo, May 18, 2017 IP
  4. BrookeHarper

BrookeHarper Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Hi, there!

If email is their preferred communication channel then so be it. You've been doing business with this client for over a year, and everyone knows rates go up. I think raising your rates (letting them shoulder the $15.00 monthly charge is reasonable if they're getting value with the service, and they're aware that they do.

BrookeHarper, May 21, 2017 IP
  5. dscurlock

dscurlock Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    right, no ever likes to see rates go up regardless if they expect it or not...
    So it is the risk the op will take; he already said he does not get much business
    from this customer, so either the customer will say ok, or he will say no....

If you do not use the form builder that much, then why continue to keep it
    for one client that does not do much business with you?

dscurlock, May 21, 2017 IP
  6. KylieSweet

KylieSweet Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Giving them a call is the most appropriate but first you must ready for the explanations and possible solutions that may be used in their inquiries.

KylieSweet, May 21, 2017 IP
  7. john.peter

john.peter Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Its not a matter of how is going to be the communication, but its matter actually how you are going to place your demand. You should have some valid reasons. As you might be working with the client for a longer time, you should be knowing now like in which that your client may agree this. So find it and shoot it in the right time.

john.peter, May 26, 2017 IP
  8. Jeff Rodburg

Jeff Rodburg Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Inform the client when you plan to raise the rates followed by two to three reasons for doing so. Set up a mail tracker ensuring your client was able to read the email.

It's better to be straight-forward and professional since this is still business we're talking about.

Jeff Rodburg, May 26, 2017 IP
  9. JoshDylan

JoshDylan Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Most clients understand that everything cannot be free forever. If its been years, they should have no problem paying a measly $15 /month for the service. A Phone call is always better then an email by the way.

JoshDylan, May 26, 2017 IP
  10. PuffyBlog

PuffyBlog Peon

Best Answers:
    Call or email and update your T+C's ;-)

PuffyBlog, May 27, 2017 IP
  11. Franciscus Pruis

Franciscus Pruis Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Just be upfront and honest with your clients. Remember it is not about the money. It is always about the service they receive.

Franciscus Pruis, May 31, 2017 IP
  12. KBay

KBay Peon

Best Answers:
    I think the email if the best way. Also you can notify ahead of the changes. It is nice to give your client some time to react.

KBay, May 31, 2017 IP
  13. NetStar

NetStar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I'm surprised noone in this threat brought up the original agreement... Was the original agreement ever for the client to pay reoccurring charges? If not, it's your fault for not thinking a head and you should eat the cost or risk losing the client or your credibility and relationship.

Personally I wouldn't risk losing a satisfied client over 15 bucks. Please.

NetStar, Jun 1, 2017 IP
  14. Blank ™

Blank ™ Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    In short, you are all of a sudden down from 15 clients to 1 and you expect the difference in costs to be paid by the last standing client? Get real - either you continue working with him w/o any additional charges and get more clients or your business needs to close.

Blank ™, Jun 1, 2017 IP
  15. MrKing01

MrKing01 Active Member

Best Answers:
    The issue that you describe is that you have a client whose website need online forms, which you provide. The number of clients have gone down to only one, and therefore you want him to pay the $15 monthly fee for the online forms which you buy from an online form maker. So in fact you act as a middleman for this service.

To start with people are used with an increase of price after a year or so. In this case you will increase the price from $0 to $15. That's not an ordinary scenario. So if you want to be successful in this regard you should give some valid points for the price increase. You should also give the client the option to opt-out if he thinks it's too expensive. Customers hate to be forced to do something, but if you present the change as an option they will be more likely to accept it.

Alternatively you could start chasing more customers who are willing to pay for online forms on their websites. By doing this the monthly fee can be shared among the clients. You could also try to find a cheaper online forms provider. It shouldn't be a problem for you.

Regarding contacting the client about the change, I think it's enough for you to send an email. On the Internet, when for example terms change, we don't usually get phone calls or letters. We get an email stating the changes. With this into consideration, you shouldn't feel bothered to send an email stating the changes.

MrKing01, Jul 20, 2017 IP
  16. Grace the Face

Grace the Face Peon

Best Answers:
    The right thing to do is call your client, explain why the rate is going up, and be honest. If that isn't the most effective method of contact, send an email basically explaining what you would say over the phone.

Grace the Face, Jul 20, 2017 IP
  17. ChrisBrownEzineArt

ChrisBrownEzineArt Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Telling a client of new charges. Be subtle.

ChrisBrownEzineArt, Jul 20, 2017 IP
  18. vsjess

vsjess Peon

Best Answers:
    Have a well-written, professional email prepared that explains the rate increase. That can be as vague as "increased operational expenses". By chance, are you willing to compromise, and rather offer your clients a lower rate than $15, but at least charge them SOMETHING for the fee? Like others mentioned, you're operating as the middleman here, and making that too clear could put you out of a gig.

vsjess, Jul 20, 2017 IP