1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How do you write when you're not in the mood?

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by Spoiltdiva, Mar 23, 2012.

1. Best Seller

Best Seller Active Member

Best Answers:
    You should!

Best Seller, Mar 20, 2017 IP
  2. Spoiltdiva

Spoiltdiva Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Actually you should as it would familiarize yourself to the community here. I've been around for 6 years now.;)

Spoiltdiva, Mar 20, 2017 IP
    Best Seller likes this.
  3. Best Seller

Best Answers:
    I started with one (mentioned a couple posts above). I'll see if I can come up with another one, a new one, today. Let me think on it.

Best Seller, Mar 20, 2017 IP
    Spoiltdiva likes this.
  4. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    Good, I will look forward to not only reading it but commenting on your new thread as well.:)

Spoiltdiva, Mar 20, 2017 IP
    Best Seller likes this.
  5. MaxGoodman

MaxGoodman Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Heck, if you took the time, you could have an entire forum devoted to the subject. Luckily I'm usually in a situation where I have someone who can look it over later before I send it off to the client, but as far as I'm concerned editing yourself is maybe one of the hardest parts of the entire writing process, certainly harder than actually doing the writing.

MaxGoodman, Mar 21, 2017 IP
    Spoiltdiva likes this.
  6. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    Well said, and certainly true.

Spoiltdiva, Mar 21, 2017 IP
  7. Best Seller

Best Answers:
    No writers can effectively edit themselves. You can do a proofread, but the final edit should always be completed by another set of eyes--a properly trained set of eyes.

No authors can edit themselves. Not even the John Grishams and Danielle Steeles of this world can edit themselves.

Best Seller, Mar 21, 2017 IP
    Spoiltdiva likes this.
  8. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    Yes, I suppose if we get right down to it. There certainly is a difference between proof'reading and editing. But many of us try and get by with doing both.;)

Spoiltdiva, Mar 21, 2017 IP
  9. Best Seller

Best Answers:
    I can see this for marketing copywriters of short pieces, yes. But never for authors/ghostwriters that are writing full novels/books.

Best Seller, Mar 21, 2017 IP
  10. ExtremeIM

ExtremeIM Active Member

Best Answers:
    you can go to youtube and search for videos related to the one you're writing

ExtremeIM, Mar 22, 2017 IP
  11. ExtremeIM

ExtremeIM Active Member

Best Answers:
    did I read the op wrong? because that's what I usually do when I'm not in a mood so that I can get some ideas :confused:

ExtremeIM, Mar 22, 2017 IP
    Spoiltdiva likes this.
  12. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    I deleted my post before yours. I guess I misread your post. I was on my phone and didn't have my glasses on...sorry about my rudeness.

Spoiltdiva, Mar 22, 2017 IP
    ExtremeIM likes this.
  13. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    Non premium members are allowed to bump once a month. Yesterday I did just that. I hit the *bump* button, the pop up said THREAD BUMPED. When I checked back a couple of hours later I was surprised to see that this thread had not been moved to the top, something went wrong. Now I can't bump until this time next month.

So in all fairness I have decided to bump this thing the old fashioned way, if I receive a warning for this, then so be it.

Spoiltdiva, Apr 12, 2017 IP
    Best Seller likes this.
  14. pgwhalen

pgwhalen Member

Best Answers:
    Writing while not in the mood can be very difficult for me. I do try to write every single day to keep up my skills and interest, whether for myself or clients. When I do NEED to write, but can't seem to "force" myself into the mood I do one or two things. Music always helps my mood and sitting in my comfy chair on the back porch while listening to the birds helps me relax enough to begin the creative process.

pgwhalen, May 15, 2017 IP
    Spoiltdiva and Best Seller like this.
  15. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    Sometimes the simplest solutions work the best.

@Gary Wilson
    Duly noted.

Spoiltdiva, May 16, 2017 IP
  16. Greg B

Greg B Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Wow, this thread sure is a mouthful! It's good to talk about various topics covered here. It cuts down on confusion and delusion.

I've been writing for online clients for 20 years. I spent years in the news industry at the city desk where pressure is an understatement. If you're not professional at a newspaper you'll get fired fast. Writing online is so much easier for me it's like a video game. I take the time to enjoy what I do.

Treat each client like a new neighbor. The online clients can clash at times due to different agendas. Sometimes you'll have to train a client. Better to be buddies than combatants. Truth be told, you can do brilliantly with just one to three clients. A great rapport and you'll pull in regular assignments and salaries. I couple my writing chores with my cartooning jobs. I illustrate comic books and do storyboards for movies and television. The writing is a great way to expand one's knowledge too. Many clients work in areas I'm not familiar with, but I get in there and study and get on the job.

Here's a tip to get clients. Using social media, go to a company or personality and write up a very creative and lively review of their services. If it's done well, others will comment and laugh and enjoy it. When the owner responds that's when you hit them with the proposal to write for them. They'll have seen the comments on your post and know the followers enjoy you. Offer to do a few articles for free with the condition that work be offered after evaluation. You can hit dozens of pages a day with short bursts of writing creativity. You might build up some additional followers to your social media pages as well.

I think this thread is invaluable. Also, don't get so regimented in your writing or it will look machine made. Let yourself go and be entertaining. Pick those assignments and you'll enjoy it more and your clients will see your value as their equity rises.

Greg B, May 21, 2017 IP
    Spoiltdiva likes this.
  17. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    With a comment like that, you just had to know that a like was coming your way.;)

Spoiltdiva, May 21, 2017 IP
  18. BrookeHarper

BrookeHarper Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    These are awesome tips! Nothing destructive or distractive, just good, clean ways to overcome that "Writer's Block".

BrookeHarper, May 21, 2017 IP
  19. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    Some more than others.;)

Spoiltdiva, May 24, 2017 IP
  20. collegeOnlineJob

collegeOnlineJob Active Member

Best Answers:
    If I'm not in the mood for writing and I don't have to I don't do it :)
    Otherwise, when I need to write something and I'm not in the mood I take a short walk and then I start. Usually, I feel much better after a walk and I will soon enter the "flow" state.
    I believe that having a place you only use for work you is much more productive than sitting at home in front of the tv.

collegeOnlineJob, Jun 12, 2017 IP