1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

noob trying to verify email addresses

Discussion in 'Web Hosting' started by dunndealpr, May 19, 2017.

Hi all. I have a database of 20k emails, and many many more in various Excel sheets. I bought a program called Atomic Mail Verifier to check them all out. What I didn't realize until I bought it, of course, is that it requires Port 25 to be open, which it is not on my ISP nor my hosting provider.

What is the simplest way to resolve this?
    From what I've read and been told the options are as follows.

1) Ask my ISP real nicely to open Port 25. Will they frown on me using port 25 to verify emails? I don't want to get in trouble with them.

2) Find a local hosting provider (again, noob so I have no idea what that is) and verify the emails via web scripts using this tutorial Atomic gave me

3) Use proxies (I'm told this is very expensive for even a list of 10K)

4) Pay someone to give you access to a remote server with port 25 open.

Please explain this to me like I'm 4. I appreciate any and all advice.

dunndealpr, May 19, 2017 IP
  2. iWF-Mark

iWF-Mark Peon

Best Answers:
    Definitely don't do #1 they are not going to open it for you and might boot you for asking. #4 makes the most sense to me and the easiest, rent a cheap VPS (not shared hosting) and run the scripts or application on the VM.

iWF-Mark, May 20, 2017 IP
    Nigel Lew likes this.
  3. wisdomtool

wisdomtool Moderator Staff

Best Answers:
    Simplest way is just to subscribe to Mailchimp

wisdomtool, May 20, 2017 IP
  4. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    They sound like email addresses that you've either scraped, stolen or been given. They'll cause you nothing but grief. Bin the lot and start again with emails that people have chosen to give you when they sign up for newsletters etc.

sarahk, May 20, 2017 IP
  5. dunndealpr

dunndealpr Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    No, these are emails of DJs that are actively asking for music submissions from artists and pr companies such as myself. In most cases that is the whole reason they created the address, for example . Just trying to figure out which are active. So no need to call the email police just yet.

dunndealpr, May 20, 2017 IP
  6. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    back when I first got started we just used to ping the mx server. Doesn't that work anymore?

sarahk, May 21, 2017 IP