1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How to write proper title, meta tags for SEO?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by JEET, Apr 24, 2017.

How to write proper title, meta tags for SEO?

This is probably the first question that comes to mind when doing SEO for your website. So thought would give some pointers.
    1. Title is the most important tag and decides what your page is about. This is also the clickable text search engines show in the results.
    So make sure its readable and also has important keywords.
    The optimum length of the title should not exceed 5-7 words in all.
    If you have to, then add the domain at the end and not at the beginning
    Avoid repeating the keywords in title.

2. Meta description. There was a time when this tag was the primary identification of the webpage. It told search engines what the page contained. However, later it lost its importance because of spamming by wwebmasters to get better ranks.
    There is still some evidence that major search engines including google still use this tag to some extent.
    Sometimes you might even see the description in this tag appearing in search results just below the clickable link. It doesn't happen with every website, but has been seen more often than one would think.
    Make sure this tag of yours answers an important question of the searcher and also has your primary keywords.
    Basically, every thing your title has, and a little more.

3. META keyword. Probably the least used tag, but doesn't hurt to have your primary keywords in this tag.
    However, make sure that the keywords used in this tag are also present in title, description, and also somewhere on the page as well, within the article body.

Its very important that you do not over-stuff your tags because its a shortcut to tell search engines that you have spammed the webpage.
    How much is over-stuffing?
    This is the important question. All keywords have different "cost (CPC)" values, different niches have different values (different number of people competing), similarly all "searched keywords" too have different limits for "over-stuffing", and "under-stuffing."
    What is considered over and under depends on how much "top" results are doing. They are not seen as spam by google or other engines, are they?
    Something close to them on your webpages would not be seen as spam by search engines.
    There are various tools that would give you a report of keyword density in tags and body for a given URL, and here's one for you.
    Search engines view of your website

http://www.iAmRobos.com
    It gives you density of keywords in percentages, and also shows you "how the webpage has spread the keyword" on the webpage, and in the title tag.
    You don't want to stuff your keywords too close because that too might raise a red flag.
    The length of the generated map is also important as it tells you "how long the content" is of the webpage you are scanning.
    All you have to do is scan a top rranking webpage for the keywords they ranked for, and then replicate it on your webpages.
    Thats your on-page SEO, which is getting more and more important by the day. Proceed to link building then...

JEET, Apr 24, 2017 IP
  2. David Jones42

David Jones42 Member

Best Answers:
    your work is appreciated. but why you do not include any example here? because the example is the best option for showing what exactly need to done in meta.

David Jones42, Apr 24, 2017 IP
    JEET likes this.
  3. JEET

JEET Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I can give an example but that is the point here. Different things work in different niche. What works in your niche might be too less for mine.

BTW, I don't know your ranks etc, but I think you've overdone it
    I did a search for "web development mobile apps" and compared 2 of the top results with the website in your signature
    All the top ones have very less spread compared to yours, specially in title and meta.

This is only about homepage. I'm sure some of your internal pages must be ranking for different keywords. :)

JEET, Apr 25, 2017 IP
    David Jones42 likes this.
  4. imaginnovate

imaginnovate Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Thank you for sharing this information. this is a very useful thing during SEO. Also can you please suggest me how to search for best keywords for mobile app development companies.

imaginnovate, Apr 26, 2017 IP
  5. finbol

finbol Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Really detailed information, thanks for taking the time @JEET!
    I have just a small point to add. I've found that placing my main keyword at the very beginning of the title tag yields optimal results, have you found the same thing?

finbol, Apr 26, 2017 IP
    JEET likes this.
  6. JEET

JEET Notable Member

Best Answers:
    @finbol Yes, I too think that. However, when you use 5-7 words in total, you automatically put them in the beginning. Like:

Mobile app & website development company
    or
    Website designers & mobile app development company
    or
    Website & mobile app development company
    etc...

JEET, Apr 26, 2017 IP
  7. JEET

JEET Notable Member

Best Answers:
    @imaginnovate
    There are tools on the web that can suggest different terms related to yours, but an easy way is to do a search in google and look at the "Search related to..." section towards the bottom...

JEET, Apr 26, 2017 IP
  8. Patricia Ann Lee

Patricia Ann Lee Active Member

Best Answers:
    Title should contain keywords, as well as it should be short and descriptive.
    It should also associates the content well.

Patricia Ann Lee, Apr 26, 2017 IP
    JEET likes this.
  9. finbol

finbol Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    That's true, it's a good system!

finbol, Apr 27, 2017 IP
  10. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    It looks like no matter how your write your title it ends up being listed this way:

YourSite.com: Some Title Goes Here

It probably makes sense to just write your title that way to begin with.

qwikad.com, Apr 27, 2017 IP
  11. JEET

JEET Notable Member

Best Answers:
    @qwikad.com
    I've seen that happening when google generates a title by itself.
    If it can't get your title or cannot relate title to webpage itself, or some other reason, then it does that using one of the heading tags I guess.
    Generally puts the domain at the end though... Was happening to one of my website.

JEET, Apr 27, 2017 IP
    qwikad.com likes this.
  12. Nick Chernets

Nick Chernets Member

Best Answers:
    Nice share. Also if your meta-tags are duplicated it is not SEO -friendly and it is better to use some of site auditor to be sure that you did everything right

Nick Chernets, Apr 27, 2017 IP
  13. dudoffvn

dudoffvn Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    This is the standard article on SEO. Thank you,

dudoffvn, Apr 27, 2017 IP
  14. Yatin Kumar

Yatin Kumar Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Interesting and informative content....

Yatin Kumar, Apr 28, 2017 IP
  15. dnlphoto

dnlphoto Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the write-up. I use Yoast to help me write and structure the content around the keywords. It suggests putting the focus keywords in the title. What is your take on that?

dnlphoto, Apr 28, 2017 IP
  16. metricbuzz

metricbuzz Member

Best Answers:
    Google said that they ignored Meta keywords and meta description. Google takes the description automatically from the website content when description tag is empty or not presented.

Digital Point Meta tags:
    [​IMG]
    Even for some English queries, it started setting the title tag automatically when Google bots feel that the title is not so relevant to the content of that page. I've seen some discussions online that MY TITLE TAG IS NO SHOWING.

Still many other search engines takes the meta tags as one of the high metric factors in ranking the websites. This tool helps to generate your Meta tags seo.metricbuzz.com/meta-tag-generator

Notes:
    Include main targeted keywords with location in your title
    Title should be unique, compare your competitor titles...and write the best one
    Description contains 2+ keywords, Join the words, form a sentence which makes trustworthy
    Keywords are no longer used by Google, but having keywords will work in other search engines

metricbuzz, Apr 28, 2017 IP
  17. dnlphoto

dnlphoto Peon

Best Answers:
    Ah More reading to do then.

dnlphoto, Apr 30, 2017 IP
  18. JEET

JEET Notable Member

Best Answers:
    @metricbuzz,
    I can see many websites in search where google is using exact meta description below the clickable link. And that meta text is found nowhere else on the webpage...
    Most of these websites are https though...

JEET, May 1, 2017 IP
  19. mkkhatri

mkkhatri Member

Best Answers:
    Follow the guideline given by google exactly.

mkkhatri, May 4, 2017 IP