1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

The Best SSD Brands?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SolaDrive, Apr 22, 2017.

Personally we like using Crucial MX200/300 or Intel SSD's but I know a lot of people who like Samsung's which are great, but on the pricier side. What kind of SSD's do you use?

SolaDrive, Apr 22, 2017 IP
  2. UnderHost_MSA

UnderHost_MSA Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I'm using Samsung EVO SSD at home and we use Intel DC on our servers both work great and never had an issue since a while.

UnderHost_MSA, Apr 25, 2017 IP
  3. XiNiX

XiNiX Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    We are using Intel and Samsung SSDs for our Servers.

XiNiX, May 8, 2017 IP
  4. scurvy

scurvy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Samsung, OCZ, Crucial are the best.
    I've had a OCZ SSD for years an years- while other parts have died and been replaced the OCZ keeps on going.

scurvy, May 10, 2017 IP
  5. Alexandre Laramée

Alexandre Laramée Member

Best Answers:
    In our Server we have OCZ SSDs and they worked fine. I have had one Kingston 240GB go corrupt on me but it was probably damaged due to a power failure during writing live camera feed from security cameras.

Alexandre Laramée, May 11, 2017 IP
  6. SolaDrive

SolaDrive Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I am sort of surprised with the use of OCZ's, I have heard a lot of people talk bad about them but maybe thats previous models.

SolaDrive, May 13, 2017 IP
  7. Blank ™

Blank ™ Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Kingston all the way through. I didn't quite believe all the fuss, but when I washed (yes, in the waschmaschine) mine and it still worked - well .. :)

Blank ™, May 15, 2017 IP
  8. Puri SEO

Puri SEO Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I personally use Samsung 850 Evo. They are very good and never get corrupted. The transfer speed is also very good. I am using the same since 4 years and i never came across with any kind of problem so go for Samsung 850 Evo

Puri SEO, May 20, 2017 IP
  9. HayBen

HayBen Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    SeaGate. I have been using seagate brand for 5 years now.

HayBen, Jun 23, 2017 IP
  10. Criot

Criot Member

Best Answers:
    I use Samsung EVO for personal use, and have good experience with both Samsung PRO SSDs and Intel SSDs in servers.

Criot, Jun 23, 2017 IP
  11. Dick M.

Dick M. Peon

Best Answers:
    I tend to only use EVO Samsung love the brand long lasting.

Dick M., Jul 23, 2017 IP
  12. billzo

billzo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    billzo, Jul 23, 2017 IP
  13. expels

expels Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Samsung are generally the best.

expels, Jul 25, 2017 IP
  14. Andrew Oakley

Andrew Oakley Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    For my Windows gaming PC and Ubuntu NAS server's boot/root drive, I use Sandisk Ultra II. It was the best performance:price balance I could afford at the time and I'm still sufficiently happy that I'm going to keep them as I upgrade my gaming computer to Ryzen.

If money were no object I'd use Samsung Evo. They consistently ace all the tests I see in reviews mags & websites, but they cost.

For my Ubuntu workstation and wife's Windows laptop, I use Patriot Torch. They're cheap without being bargain-bin and have been running reliably for two years or more. They don't get a lot of professional reviews, but the consumer reviews echo my experience of them being reliable workhorses. I do a lot of video transcoding and SD card image crunching (Raspberry Pi images, 8GB a pop) on the workstation, so at least one of them has really been given a very thorough workout throughout its life, and not one jot of data loss or fscking problems. I don't doubt that Sandisk and Samsung are a bit faster, but they can't possibly be any more reliable.

A few years ago I used an OCZ in my Ubuntu netbook. Within a couple of months it had roughly a 1-in-4 chance of freezing or failing to fully boot (although to be fair it never actually lost data). I know OCZ are a different company now, but still... never again.

For spare Linux laptops/netbooks, I now use Kingspec. They are absolute bargain-bin (no point spending more, they're second-hand laptops with SATA2) and their speed isn't going to feature in the top half of any comparison tests, but you know what? They're still waaaay faster than a hard disk and they have never once lost any data in two or three years of use, including some pretty rough handling at Raspberry Jams where they're reading and writing 4-8GB of SD images several times a day. Twenty quid for 32GB, thirty quid for 64GB and hey presto, you have a solid refurb for an old laptop with a big jump in performance. Yeah, I wouldn't store anything vital on them without a solid backup, I keep expecting them to let me down... but they haven't. Import them from China for absolute basement prices and just wait 3-4 weeks. (The design and colour choice is that special white-beige with silver labels, Commodore VIC=20, by the way; if you want to show off your PC's innards, this will NOT impress anyone.)

So, for me:
    Performance - Samsung Evo if you can afford it, Sandisk Ultra II if you can't
    Mid range - Patriot Torch
    Low range - Kingspec. Yeah I'm as surprised as you.

Haven't tried an M2 or PCI SSD yet.

Andrew Oakley, Aug 31, 2017 IP
  15. Truman Mills

Truman Mills Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Besides the big names. A Kingston SSD can prove to be goo too.

Truman Mills, Jan 31, 2019 IP
  16. CenTex Hosting

CenTex Hosting Member

Best Answers:
    I like Samsung and Intel is mainly what we order

CenTex Hosting, Jan 31, 2019 IP
  17. izlik

izlik Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Kingston is a good brand for me. i always use that or Corsair for my RAM! :)

izlik, Feb 21, 2019 IP
  18. degreubiwa

degreubiwa Banned

Best Answers:
    I will rather buy the 20 TB Sata HDD launched by Seaget but waiting for prices to come down.

degreubiwa, Mar 3, 2019 IP