1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Domain Name Importance

Discussion in 'Domain Names' started by Bert G, Apr 22, 2017.

Hi,
    Just wondering how important the domain name is when you want to rank for a specific term? I want to rank for bucket list or bucket list ideas, but do not have that in the domain. Does that matter at all?

Bert G, Apr 22, 2017 IP
  2. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    Although having a keyword in a domain name is not as vital as it once was, it still matters. The problem is all good domain names are taken and so it's just not that easy to come up with something more or less decent. Do not misspell words just to make it fit the idea for your site (i.e. buckettlist, bukketlist, etc.). Just don't. If possible come up with a one word domain name (easy to remember, easy to market).

qwikad.com, Apr 22, 2017 IP
  3. Bert G

Bert G Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the reply. I'm not 100% happy with it, but I guess if I'm producing good enough content and I do have a category with the key word in it so that will hopefully help.

Bert G, Apr 23, 2017 IP
  4. JoeSpirit

JoeSpirit Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I would work on creating a new domain with your keyword in it. They aren't that expensive and you can let the old one go if you find a more suitable one.

JoeSpirit, Apr 23, 2017 IP
  5. Bert G

Bert G Peon

Best Answers:
    Thats the problem, there aren't any suitable that are available. The only ones that are are marked as premium and in the thousands to buy

Bert G, Apr 23, 2017 IP
  6. billzo

billzo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    That's the ultimate scam of the new tlds in that the "sponsors" hold back the ones they think will be good and charge outrageous prices for them. And I mean outrageous as in some priced $10,000 or higher.

billzo, Apr 23, 2017 IP
  7. ryan_uk

ryan_uk Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    It's not important. Go for a brandable name and focus on good content that people will want to read and share.

ryan_uk, Apr 23, 2017 IP
  8. Allen James

Allen James Active Member

Best Answers:
    It just can save you about 30-40% of the money for SEO ;)

Allen James, Apr 24, 2017 IP
  9. JoeSpirit

JoeSpirit Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If you really want to use a domain that's already taken why not just add an a or an x at the end to create a similar domain that isn't taken?

Say the domain is mybarkingpuppy (dot) com make it mybarkingpuppyx (dot) com. Or _x.

JoeSpirit, Apr 24, 2017 IP
  10. Bert G

Bert G Peon

Best Answers:
    I think I'll stick to this. Been playing with names today and couldn't find any that worked just to get the keyword in. Did a few searches of the keywords we want to use and only a few of the top ranking had it as the main part of the URL

Bert G, Apr 24, 2017 IP
  11. JEET

JEET Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Its the least important factor. You can fix it by having your keyword in the URL instead of the domain itself.
    Currently the websites that are beating me have names like DynamicLevelSomething, TrendSomething, etc... Neither has the keywords they are ranking for, and they are topping search results...
    And the webpage itself is just showing a mathematical calculation only... Nothing really useful to the user... I don't know how these people get up so high for such competitive keywords anyways, and that too in google... Bing or yahoo I understand...

Sometimes having your keyword in domain helps. You can use it to build a brand, and also use it as a keyword in the title tag as well like:
    <title> Something about buckets - allAboutBuckets.com </title>
    See the keyword "Buckets" appearing twice?
    That is probably all it does...

To solve your problem use:
    domain.com/bucket-list-ideas.html
    or
    domain.com/bucket-list-ideas
    or even:
    domain.com/?page=bucket-list-ideas

All should work for what you are trying to do. First two are better.

JEET, Apr 24, 2017 IP
  12. divyavm123

divyavm123 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Domain Name plays very vital role .Your domain name is the identity of your business.People usually forget the longer tail website name.So keep short name of your website so that people can easily remember you.

divyavm123, Apr 24, 2017 IP
  13. Bert G

Bert G Peon

Best Answers:
    Before seeing this we made our mind up to stick with the current URL, as you say people rank for the keyword sin exatly the way you have mentioned it. I have a category with the key word, and am working on a cornerstone page that will be full of information, so hopefully that will start to rank

Bert G, Apr 25, 2017 IP