1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Google to sell domain names

Discussion in 'Google' started by free, Dec 17, 2006.

I found this article at http://www.internetnews.com/ec-news/article.php/3649306

Google is partnering with GoDaddy.com and eNom to add domain registration services to its Google Apps for Your Domain product.

GoDaddy President and COO Warren Adelman told internetnews.com he had to take the fifth on whether Google will make a cameo appearance in any Super Bowl commercials this year.

In the meantime, Google said in a statement that it plans to charge customers $10 per domain, per year. It's a price that includes private registration to protect personal information.

Ten dollars per year is about four dollars less than what GoDaddy.com currently charges for private registration, but Adelman said he isn't worried the deal will undercut his company's business.

"We see this growing the overall market awareness and market importance of the domain name," Adelman said.

Google said it supports .com, .org, .net, .biz and .info. and that it expects to support more over time.

When users register their domain, Google will automatically configure it with the services available through Google Apps for Your Domain.

As internetnews.com previously reported, Google Apps for Your Domain includes tools for communicating and collaborating in the enterprise, such as Gmail Web e-mail, instant messaging, voice calling and collaborative calendaring.

In November, Google added a new start page based on Google's Custom Home Page to the Apps product. The service also includes Web page design, publishing and hosting via Google Page Creator.

The standard Google Apps for Your Domain package also includes 2 gigabytes of e-mail storage for each user, customization tools and help for administrators via e-mail or an online help center.

Most of the applications included in Google Apps for Your Domain sport a Google search bar, but Google has not announced plans to split advertising revenues with domain owners.

Google became an accredited registrar with the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN) in 2005, paying a $2,500 initial application fee and $7,000 accreditation fee to access the database of .com, .net., .org, .pro, .info, .name and .biz extensions.

free, Dec 17, 2006 IP
    toby likes this.
  2. jdR!pper

jdR!pper Peon

Best Answers:
    Wow! Google is really gonna take over the entire net now... I'm not sure if that's good though. Monopoly is never good.

jdR!pper, Dec 17, 2006 IP
  3. Cristian Mezei

Cristian Mezei Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Cristian Mezei, Dec 17, 2006 IP
    jdR!pper likes this.
  4. ReadyToGo

ReadyToGo Peon

Best Answers:
    $10 is above the current market price. I wonder how they plan to grow?

ReadyToGo, Dec 18, 2006 IP
  5. ketan9

ketan9 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I don't seem to agree with this plan, it is costlier than other domain providers. So definitely it does not interest me at least for now unless it has some special advantages :)

ketan9, Dec 18, 2006 IP
  6. Endurer

Endurer Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well as far as privacy protection is included in the plan.. I have no reason to say no. I don't hope that they will accept paypal though. Perhaps G's checkout.. but not paypal.

Endurer, Dec 18, 2006 IP
  7. toby

toby Notable Member

Best Answers:
    quite a good deal with just 10$ to keep my registration name secret.
    Thanks for sharing.

toby, Dec 18, 2006 IP
  8. Skinny

Skinny Peon

Best Answers:
    It's an interesting move, but until they accept paypal (which will be never) or lower the price I'll go elsewhere.

Skinny

Skinny, Dec 18, 2006 IP
  9. CedarCity

CedarCity Peon

Best Answers:
    I think this is a great idea on Googles part. Its also isnt a bad price for private domain ect.

CedarCity, Dec 18, 2006 IP
  10. jdR!pper

jdR!pper Peon

Best Answers:
    The price for private registration is actually less than the usual price in Go Daddy. But I'm still not excited by the tought of google taking over the entire net.

jdR!pper, Dec 18, 2006 IP
    Imran likes this.
  11. Cheap SEO Services

Cheap SEO Services <------DoFollow Backlinks

Best Answers:
    I think the next step will be Google Supermarkets. You can buy the following items there:

Google Milk
    Google Bread
    Google Bananas
    Google Steak
    Google Baked beans
    Google Coffee
    Google Toilet Paper
    Google Tampons
    Google Lingerie
    Google Hemorrhoid Cream
    Google Toothpaste

The list goes on. In a million years people will be travelling across the universe. People from other planets will ask the travellers "where do you come from?" and the travellers will reply "Well, we come from a lovely little planet called Google and I am from the country called Googleaska and I live in Googlsville."

Cheap SEO Services, Dec 18, 2006 IP
    Imran likes this.
  12. hereyago

hereyago Active Member

Best Answers:
    pretty expensive though

hereyago, Dec 18, 2006 IP
  13. acclaim

acclaim Peon

Best Answers:
    The question is why would Google need to partner with GoDaddy? They can write the software used by GoDaddy over 2 weeks with a team of 10 programmers. Nothing tricky there.

I guess Google does not want to deal with actual customer care issues and the like. They are focusing on their marketing powers. It will not be pleasant for competition.
    Currently the top 3 free spots for "domain registration" are taken by:
    Register.com
    Networksolutions
    GoDaddy

GoDaddy has the top spot on AdWords followed by Register followed by DomainsPricedRight.com

It is interesting to see how the rankings would look in a month or two once Google actually starts selling the service. I bet domains.google.com would take first spots on paid and free search results. The only question is how long would it take?

acclaim, Dec 18, 2006 IP
  14. jdR!pper

jdR!pper Peon

Best Answers:
    Or google just wants to have everything. And I won't be surprised if domains.google.com will reach the first page in one month.

jdR!pper, Dec 18, 2006 IP
  15. koolmale

koolmale Peon

Best Answers:
    I think its a good deal if private domain registration is included in 10 $!

Also, don't forget that Yahoo! (the biggest rival of Google), is also in the Domain registration business. So, its interesting to see the outcome of this.

koolmale, Dec 19, 2006 IP
  16. PSU

PSU Peon

Best Answers:
    Seems too expensive - domain at godaddy is $2 + $7 private registration

PSU, Feb 25, 2007 IP
  17. earncef

earncef Guest

Best Answers:
    Well I dont think the main idea of google in becoming a domain provider is to sell domains thought its a side idea. I think the main idea is to improve their search algorithms by accessing all the data about the domain ownership.

earncef, Feb 25, 2007 IP
  18. QuEST

QuEST Peon

Best Answers:
    10$ is a bit expensive, but i think many people will buy from them to see the Google tag attached ;)

QuEST, Feb 25, 2007 IP
  19. w3bmaster

w3bmaster Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Don't worry lot's of people will buy from them ...

w3bmaster, Feb 25, 2007 IP
  20. oseymour

oseymour Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    its a little expensive....before I register I have to see if the added services are worth the extra bucks

oseymour, Feb 25, 2007 IP