1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Need Help with web design

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by Volk, Apr 5, 2017.

Hey, Everyone.

I'm making my dad a website and I'm using Wix.com to design it.I need to make a mileage calculator. That asks customers to input an amount of miles they want their vehicle transported and it gives them a quote and or estimate of how much that will cost. Currently, I do not know anything abut HTML or CSS. Would love it if someone could show me a start to or a little template I could build or a website/ program I could use to build this kind of calculator.

How the calculator works ...
    • Asks the user what kind of vehicle they have; make, model and year, as well possible extra mods or dimensions in a side comment.
    • Asks them where they want their vehicle delivered to and from where. Something like enters a postal code of the start and the destination.
    • The calculator works by calculating the miles between those destinations and inputs this formula... (If the total amount of miles is about 1,500 miles then the cost to transport the vehicle is $0.50 per mile. If the total amount of miles is below 1,500 miles the calculator charges $0.70 per mile. The minimum we take for payment is $500).
    Thanks, would appreciate some guidance, I hope I came to ask in the right place.

Volk, Apr 5, 2017 IP
  2. GFX2

GFX2 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    This can't be achieved with HTML and CSS you need PHP for this to be achieved.

GFX2, Apr 5, 2017 IP
  3. PoPSiCLe

PoPSiCLe Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    No, not really. It can be achieved with Javascript, no need for server-side processing at all (depending on what the end result needs to be) - however, there are several factors of this endeavour that complicates things.
    First, you need the simple bits, the inputs (a form). This is simple. However, if you want to have this very accurate, and automated, you will need a very extensive database of cars (makes, models, etc.), and also a database, or some form of calculator in the background which will calculate the distance between two set points (this is not necessarily simple). Overall, this can quickly be a rather complicated setup, and not something I would give to someone without coding knowledge. Also, not something I would try running on a Wix-setup.

PoPSiCLe, Apr 6, 2017 IP
  4. Volk

Volk Peon

Best Answers:
    Where could I possibly look to achieve this sort of solution? To not complicate things. I don't exactly need a database of cars, just a little comment box where a person will input their car type, year and dimensions. The whole point is to give the customer a quote on what they will be expecting to pay ( which comes from the calculations from the mileage calculator)

Volk, Apr 6, 2017 IP
  5. Volk

Volk Peon

Best Answers:
    I could easily craft this using visual studio since I know c++. But I know when it comes to websites, scripting such as java and HTML and CSS are involved. Those are completely new to me.

Volk, Apr 6, 2017 IP
  6. Rob Schneider

Rob Schneider Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Well you need the magical trio to do this sort of stuff i.e HTML , CSS and JS.
    You can easily design a calculator with the help of HTML and CSS. Put on buttons for the required functions and then connect those buttons with JS function which will require some hard thinking.

Rob Schneider, Apr 7, 2017 IP