1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Suggestion Unanswered Threads

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by qwikad.com, Apr 5, 2017.

I thought it wouldn't hurt to have an Unanswered Threads link (along with Mark Forums Read | Search Forums | Watched Forums | Watched Threads | New Posts | Spy). Rather than browsing the entire forum looking for unanswered threads, they will all be listed under Unanswered Threads.

qwikad.com, Apr 5, 2017 IP
  2. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Not sure how useful it would be to be honest... Depending on the area, it might not be looking for an answer (if it's just based on zero replies). For example stuff in Buy/Sell/Trade.

digitalpoint, Apr 5, 2017 IP
  3. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    I use the new posts feature everytime I return to the site and unless I'm away for the weekend that keeps me on top of things.

sarahk, Apr 5, 2017 IP
    qwikad.com and dcristo like this.
  4. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    @digitalpoint After I posted the suggestion I realized that you already have this option (sort of).

Click on he Forums tab ==> click on the search field ==> click on the More.. button ==> click on the Threads and Posts tab. It will have the option of choosing threads with 0 replies:

https://www.digitalpoint.com/search/?type=post

5. qwikad.com

Best Answers:
    Now that I've tested it, I don't think it's doing what it's supposed to do. If I keep it at 0 it's still choosing posts with replies. Is it a bug or is it how it's supposed to be?

6. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    It's how XenForo is designed. It's labeled Minimum Number of Replies. :)

7. qwikad.com

Best Answers:
    LOL. I see. Either way a zero should be a zero. Thanks for nothing XenForo.

8. qwikad.com

Best Answers:
    By the way, maybe Unanswered Threads is a bit misleading, what if it was Threads With Zero Replies? I am not sure why you don't see it as useful. In my book it will be the most used link, for sure. But if you think it's nonessential, then it probably is.

9. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Well, not that it's non-essential, but it would add more clutter to an already too cluttered site. Let me give it some thought and see if there might be a way to hide it somewhere.

qwikad.com likes this.
  10. PoPSiCLe

PoPSiCLe Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    I don't really see the benefit? Most users are not interested in, or capable of writing answers to threads in every subforum. The simplest way is to just go to the subforums you're intersted in, and just open up the new threads (the bold entries)? I don't really see the benefit in having a "list empty threads"?

PoPSiCLe, Apr 6, 2017 IP
    qwikad.com likes this.
  11. qwikad.com

Best Answers:
    Then why have the New Posts, Spy, Search Forums, etc. links? Just go to the subforums and find all the threads in bold. It's all about convenience, PoPSiCLe. I am not saying it's going to be some super duper option ALL people will use at ALL times, but it will definitely benefit some of the users. There will be significantly more threads replied to since those threads will be easily accessible. There are hundreds of threads that have zero replies that are just sitting there. Some of the users that posted those threads may never come back thinking this forum is dead. Now granted some of the threads may not be worth replying to, but I guarantee you if you spend time searching this forum you will find many good threads with zero replies. But... since they are all over the place, not everybody wants to spend time (or has time) to search for them. As I am typing this I am thinking why in the world this option wasn't part of XenForo to begin with? It only makes sense to have it.

qwikad.com, Apr 6, 2017 IP
  12. PoPSiCLe

PoPSiCLe Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Well... maybe? But then, since most information has a limited shelf life, listing all unanswered threads with no limit on when they were posted just seems to beg for "me too" posts on threads that are more vinegar than aged wine... Oh well, I guess I'm just not one to use such things. Note: I haven't pushed one of the mentioned links once the time I've used this forum either.

PoPSiCLe, Apr 7, 2017 IP
  13. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Man, there are a ton. lol There are 620,138 threads that are not deleted with 0 replies.

digitalpoint, Apr 7, 2017 IP
  14. billzo

billzo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The benefit would be to try to help somebody nobody has yet helped instead of wasting time on a thread with replies that may or may not have helped the original poster. I look for zero reply threads thinking if somebody has already replied, hopefully the original poster got the advice they seek.

billzo, Apr 8, 2017 IP