1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Creating an online shopping website (like Amazon), school project

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by xTan, Mar 28, 2017.

Hey all, so I have this school project, which is making a website like Amazon or some sort of online shopping/eCommerce site, my professor actually specified Lazada and told me to make a similar site. Of course, the site won't need to go online, it's just a fairly simple project. My knowledge in web design/programming is still limited to basic HTML but I'm willing to learn more.

I think these are important to be in the site:
    - account registration (signup/login)
    - item list (can be sorted by brands,categories, etc; maybe an inventory too with stocks/can be sold out?)
    - cart
    - and of course, the design (I'll be trying to make it look like Lazada)

About the checkout, since items won't really be shipped and there won't actually be any payment, maybe just an order invoice will do.

Anyways, I'm kind of lost here and I really don't know where to start. What languages will I need to learn? CSS? SQL? PHP? Oh and should I use HTML5 instead of just HTML? I'll need an inventory system, perhaps?

Please tell me how I should do it, and suggest me things that the site might need. Really, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much. :)

xTan, Mar 28, 2017 IP
  2. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    You have a school project but you don't have the skills? Sounds like something isn't right. You don't learn CSS, SQL and PHP to do your homework - you build sites to demonstrate what has been taught.

sarahk, Mar 28, 2017 IP
  3. Angus

Angus Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It REALLY depends on the learning objectives. Ask your professor first to see if this approach is okay. No one today would go and build their own from scratch ecommerce site. Makes no sense. If I was you I would:

OPTION 1. Get a shopify trial account (so free). Find a free theme that looks like Lazada and install that. Add some sample products.

OPTION 2. More involved... Get a cheap WordPress host and find a Woocommerce supported theme and install that. Add some sample products.

OPTION 3. Go to HOTSCRIPTS.COM and download a php / mysql cart (or even better a pure javascript cart). You can then learn to "reverse engineer" this cart, see all the code, modify it etc.

In all of the above examples (less so with Shopify) you can modify the themes (so CSS / HTML5) add plugins, modify them a little if needed (PHP / Javascript).

Personally I think HTML5, CSS, JAVASCRIPT, MYSQL is what I would focus on - BUT - I would never suggest anyone become a coder. It's all too easy to outsource. Learn to be an entrepreneur and hire coders...

(I do have an IT degree)

Angus, Mar 28, 2017 IP
    sarahk likes this.
  4. xTan

xTan Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Yo guys, thanks for the replies. I asked my professor for clarification. He said that the site doesn't have to be working, like, you know, with inventory and stocks and such. I only need to make the design, the appearance of different pages the links redirecting to them. I got a month to work on it.

After making the project though, I think I'll try and give myself a challenge and actually do a working site, do that thing I initially thought was required for the project, with the inventory, stocks and cart. I'm just an aspiring coder, willing to learn more and I like doing it, so yeah.

xTan, Mar 29, 2017 IP