1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Someone used screenshots of my YouTube videos in his website

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by dexbyte, Mar 7, 2017.

Someone used screenshots from my YouTube videos on his website. I emailed the owner of the website to remove the copied content from his website however, he just added a link to my channel giving credits. Is that a fair use? I guess not...

Do I still hold rights to ask him to remove the contents from his website even if he gives credits without my permission?

dexbyte, Mar 7, 2017 IP
  2. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    Not an expert, but if someone's using YOUR content without YOUR permission, you can always ask them to take it down. By the way is your content copyrighted? If it's not copyrighted it's hard to claim a copyright infringement.

qwikad.com, Mar 7, 2017 IP
  3. PoPSiCLe

PoPSiCLe Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Everything made by a person is copyrighted (in nearly every country on the planet, at least western countries). There is no need to specifically note that something is copyrighted, as any unique, distinct work is copyrighted to the author/creator. Even with free-to-use licenses being applied, the creator still has copyright over the original content (not necessarily for software) - copyright doesn't go away by itself.

PoPSiCLe, Mar 7, 2017 IP
    Best Seller and qwikad.com like this.
  4. JoeSpirit

JoeSpirit Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I consider it an additional traffic source when someone uses screen shots of my videos. As long as a link back to my video is credited I have no problem with it - if it's driving visitors my way.

JoeSpirit, Mar 7, 2017 IP
    cronik and qwikad.com like this.
  5. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    In theory that's correct, of course. However, if you decide to sue someone because they used your, let's say, images all that it will entail is the price they owe you for the images (usually a conventional price of a few bucks). Usually those cases are dropped since nobody wants to deal with them. But if you officially registered your copyright, on top of the regular price, you'll also get back punitive damages (which, in some cases, can be a lot of money).

qwikad.com, Mar 7, 2017 IP
  6. Nigel Lew

Nigel Lew Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I would have to take a look at what the point of the post was where they placed a screenshot but that largely falls very clearly under fair use argument.That they linked back to you is gold. Cool your jets. There is nothing to see or do here.

Nigel

Nigel Lew, Mar 7, 2017 IP
    cronik and qwikad.com like this.
  7. pmf123

pmf123 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Monetize your videos and enjoy his traffic

pmf123, Mar 7, 2017 IP
    qwikad.com likes this.
  8. dexbyte

dexbyte Active Member

Best Answers:
    The thing is I wrote the same article on my website including my video. He just copied my article which was written a month ago. My article was ranking first for the keyword, however after he copied my article, his post outranked my post on search results. I am ok with someone copying my content (while giving proper credits) and receives comparably less traffic than my own article. But, when the copied content starts to receive more traffic than the original one, it pisses me off.

dexbyte, Mar 7, 2017 IP
  9. dexbyte

dexbyte Active Member

Best Answers:
    I would like it if it's a do-follow link but a no-follow? hmm...nah

dexbyte, Mar 7, 2017 IP
  10. dexbyte

dexbyte Active Member

Best Answers:
    I prefer more traffic on my original post on my website as CPC is higher on a website than on a youtube video.

dexbyte, Mar 7, 2017 IP
  11. dexbyte

dexbyte Active Member

Best Answers:
    He started to copy my every other post from my website. Anyways, thank you guys for your help. He finally removed all the copied articles from his website and it seems like he had little to no knowledge about copyrights.

dexbyte, Mar 7, 2017 IP
  12. Furquan Ahmed

Furquan Ahmed Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    In this case, you should put all your gun on that thief, tell him to remove everything which is your, if he is not listing, hire lawyer, sue him copyright claim with huge amount in return.
    file a complaint with Google to remove that thief content.
    https://support.google.com/legal/troubleshooter/1114905

Furquan Ahmed, Mar 7, 2017 IP
  13. dexbyte

dexbyte Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks! I already used that form to complain but no response from Google yet.

dexbyte, Mar 7, 2017 IP
  14. Sherlyn Shah

Sherlyn Shah Member

Best Answers:
    It's all up to you ...How you wanna go...If you have decided to settle down with him adding a link then it's fine...Else you own the right to email him first to withdraw the link or the entire video as well...

Sherlyn Shah, Mar 8, 2017 IP
  15. JoeSpirit

Best Answers:
    That's different. From your OP I understood that he was only posting screen shots of your videos. If he is also copying your articles you have a valid complaint.

JoeSpirit, Mar 8, 2017 IP
  16. Nigel Lew

Nigel Lew Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Drop a link here to the issue. If he sniped your entire article as well, that is a different animal.

Nigel Lew, Mar 8, 2017 IP
  17. Karl Meral

Karl Meral Peon

Best Answers:
    I am not a Lawyer but i am pretty sure if you just mail the Admin of the webserver that screenshots are hosted on they will take them down in a few Hours

Karl Meral, Mar 8, 2017 IP
    cronik likes this.
  18. Best Seller

Best Seller Active Member

Best Answers:
    Here is a blog with some great information from a trademark, copyright and entertainment attorney licensed in California: http://iangibson.com/about-ian-gibson-esq/. You may find answers to your questions here.

Best Seller, Mar 8, 2017 IP
  19. cronik

cronik Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think you're making a bigger deal out of this then necessary. As a video creator on YouTube, you're building a brand, and him adding your video with a link is actually helping you. You both mutually benefit, and sure he might out-rank you temporarily for that specific video (I'm guessing in a Google search and not a YouTube search) but that will most likely change in the future. Wasting your energy on something like this is a waste of your time, especially if you have goals of becoming a well known brand with a ton of subscribers.

You think Gary Vee or Pewdiepie care about who is outranking them for certain topics/videos??? No, they're too busy making more content.

Unless someone downloads and re-uploads your videos, you shouldn't worry about it.

cronik, Jan 11, 2021 IP
  20. JoeSpirit

Best Answers:
    Maybe reading the whole thread is a good idea.

JoeSpirit, Jan 13, 2021 IP