1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Security for a new blog?

Discussion in 'General Business' started by Abby504, Feb 20, 2017.

Hey all. I am looking to start a new blog and I was wondering what you all do to protect your blog? I know there are plugins and I plan to use login lockdown. I also have antivirus software on my computer. Is there anything else you suggest to do aside from these things and having a strong password?

Abby504, Feb 20, 2017 IP
  2. iwebsocial

iwebsocial Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Install a Security Plugin "Wordfence'' It will protect your blog from hacking and gives you full security of your blog. You can also use their premium version which will comes with additional features like country blocking, Two factor authentication etc. You can also use CDN services like Cloudflare or MaxCdn to give additional security to your blog.

iwebsocial, Feb 20, 2017 IP
  3. David Jones42

David Jones42 Member

Best Answers:
    use wordfence plugin and also change admin login url. use vps server if you on shared server.

David Jones42, Feb 20, 2017 IP
    matt_62 likes this.
  4. matt_62

matt_62 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I like wordfence and bulletproof security. Both have paid plans which you should at least look at to see if you want / need the additional protection.
    Never use the username of "admin". Once your blog is setup, remove every plugin, and theme that you do not need.

Avoid using free themes that you have to manually download and install. Either use premium themes, or stick to the free ones that can be installed from within your wordpress installation.

Use seperate cpanel accounts for each website you have to make it impossible that one vulnerability on one of your sites cannot impact on the rest of your websites.

Take regular backups, or if it is a "static" website, then simply take a good backup after it is setup.

Thats all I can think of for the time being.

matt_62, Feb 21, 2017 IP
    DylanC likes this.
  5. robinymym

robinymym Active Member

Best Answers:
    Try to follow these steps -

Include a clear copyright notice on your site. ...
    Use an appropriate Creative Commons License. ...
    Configure your RSS feed so that it displays post summaries. ...
    Search for your content using Google. ...
    Set up a Google Alert to scan for your name or site name/title. ...
    Use Copyscape. ...
    Protect your images.

robinymym, Feb 21, 2017 IP
  6. Abby504

Abby504 Peon

Best Answers:
    That all makes sense. Thanks so much for all your help! Most of what has been suggested though are specific website securities. Is there anything I need to do on my computer to protect my site? I know I need to have antivirus software and sign out of everything, but anything else? I appreciate all the help.

Abby504, Feb 22, 2017 IP
  7. Sherlyn Shah

Sherlyn Shah Member

Best Answers:
    Make sure you get the right server first. Many WordPress blogs have been hacked due to free download of paid plugins and various other reasons..

Sherlyn Shah, Feb 22, 2017 IP
  8. matt_62

matt_62 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Having a good antivirus will protect your computer (be sure it includes anti-spyware as well). However, this will not protect your website at all, as your website is hosted on a server in a datacenter(different computer).

I need to ask, were you planning on hosting wordpress on your home computer? When you consider the cost to power your modem and computer 24/7, it can be cheaper and more reliable to have it hosted online by a webhosting company. You will get better uptime and faster speeds which is critical for people to find your website, and be able to use it. If you do not currently have a webhosting account, and you are not sure what to do, or what to use, then let me know and I can help you with a free trial cpanel account.

Do you have a domain name for your blog already? If not, check out namecheap. They are not the necessarily the cheapest, but they do have 2 factor authentication to prevent your names from being stolen.

matt_62, Feb 22, 2017 IP
  9. Abby504

Abby504 Peon

Best Answers:
    Thank you. @matt_62 I know that antivirus won't necessarily protect my website, but I guess I was thinking more along the lines of making sure my computer isn't hacked. I know that if my computer is hacked they could get into my website that way as well if I don't know that my computer has been hacked or has a virus on it. I am not planning on hosting wordpress on my computer.

Abby504, Feb 23, 2017 IP
    matt_62 likes this.
  10. speel00

speel00 Active Member

Best Answers:
    You should also have a good backup plugin. I use Updraft Plus, it is free and can email you weekly backups each week. That way in case someone does hack into the site and mess it up, you can quickly revert it back to normal via backup.

speel00, Feb 23, 2017 IP
  11. Anitasol

Anitasol Active Member

Best Answers:
    Aside from all these security measures to protect you and your blog, maybe you'd want to protect your blog content as well. Try WP Content Copy Protection & No Right Click. It avoids people from stealing your content. Hope this helps.

Anitasol, Feb 24, 2017 IP
  12. gurlytech1

gurlytech1 Peon

Best Answers:
    If you have the money, you may want to consider using a VPN service as well. Just to add another layer of privacy and security. And once you get your blog up and running, you'll probably want to run an email campaign to promote it, of which I would definitely use a VPN for.

gurlytech1, Feb 24, 2017 IP
  13. matt_62

matt_62 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    My site(s) are worth $0. My banking details on the other hand, and or other personal data is worth significantly more. I can backup and restore a website in minutes, same cannot be said for bankaccounts. So yes, it is very important to have good security for your home computer.

I will be honest, i believe that you are going to be fine. Alot of great advice here to get you started. Just get your site started.
    My last advice is do not invest more then you are prepared to lose -> but this is outside of the scope of this thead.

matt_62, Mar 1, 2017 IP
  14. daronch

daronch Active Member

Best Answers:
    There are several plugins like All In One WP Security & Firewall plugin or Wordfence security plugin that you can use.

Also, remember to change your admin url if you haven't already.

daronch, Mar 1, 2017 IP
  15. chalice

chalice Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the tips guys.

chalice, Mar 8, 2017 IP