1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Using Simple Html Dom to extract a specific bold text from a div

Discussion in 'PHP' started by zach catskilson, Feb 19, 2017.

Working on a script project, literally spent the last 4 hours on this researching everything I can - my head literally doesn't function anymore on this matter and really need your help.

So I have a PHP cURL script that grabs data from a website. I can grab div's that have ID's and all that. But how can I grab specific text from within a DIV that does not have any ID/class/or anything specific other than the fact that its the only bold item in the div?

Here is the HTML Text on the website:

<div class="firststyle"><label for="calculator" class="class-coll-1">
                    <p class="sr-only">Welcome to the calculator:</p> <b>What is one plus two?</b> </label></div>
    HTML:
    What I am trying to parse/extract from this HTML part is JUST the text "What is one plus two?". How can define this specific part to be selected?

The only thing I can currently do is parse the entire div with the following script:

$html = str_get_html($response);
    $the_question = $html->find('div[class=firststyle]');
    PHP:
    However this gets all the text including the "Welcome to the calculator" label thing which I don't need.

Would it be possible to maybe somehow save the parsed data into a variable, and then go from that use a different script to extract the data from that variable?

Or maybe can I do something like:

Find div with this ID -> find bold text within it

Or maybe:

Find div with ID -> get everything but the text "Welcome to calculator"

zach catskilson, Feb 19, 2017 IP
  2. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    you can step through the children of a div

sarahk, Feb 19, 2017 IP
  3. PoPSiCLe

PoPSiCLe Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    This seems to work:

<?php

include 'simple_html_dom.php';

$response = '<div class="firststyle"><label for="calculator" class="class-coll-1">
      <p class="sr-only">Welcome to the calculator:</p> <b>What is one plus two?</b> </label></div>';

$html = str_get_html($response);
    echo $the_question = $html->find('.class-coll-1',0)->children(1);

?>

PHP:
    Never really used Simple HTML DOM before, this took me about 5 minutes, including downloading it, reading the manual, and making a test-file...

PoPSiCLe, Feb 19, 2017 IP
  4. zach catskilson

zach catskilson Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the reply.
    Tried this method, the scripted works when you put the html as the $response variable but for some reason didn't work when I tried to grab the html from the webpage.

However, what did work is the following script:

$html->find('.firststyle b',0)

zach catskilson, Feb 20, 2017 IP