1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What is your opinion selling with scarcity

Discussion in 'General Business' started by xmaco, Jan 17, 2017.

Hi i would like you guys hear your opinion about selling with scarcity tactic

You think is bad?

I see competitors try to outrank scarcity by putting a lot lower price on similar product and high
    shipping price witch is hidden - so in the first place we look expensive and the competitor takes the sale even with the hidden high shipping prices

Want to hear your opinion

xmaco, Jan 17, 2017 IP
  2. Linus Persson

Linus Persson Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    scarcity works if it is real scarcity, but if it says only 500 left and in reality you have thousand left, then no it's not a good idea.

Linus Persson, Jan 21, 2017 IP
  3. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    I don't think that a scarcity pitch will win over a pricing comparison. You should consider including your shipping charges for the product, upfront, and warning your visitors about competitors' outrageous shipping charges. A lot of Internet buyers are onto this shipping scam so I think that you might strike a chord with these folks.

jrbiz, Jan 21, 2017 IP
    billzo likes this.
  4. Milliardo

Milliardo Active Member

Best Answers:
    Artificial scarcity is done by some sellers in order to drive prices up. Never really a good idea, and sooner or later this will catch up on them.

Milliardo, Jan 23, 2017 IP
  5. unlimitedoptions4us

unlimitedoptions4us Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Hi:

Scarcity is used by almost all IM sales people. It depends on when and where you use it.
    Scenario "A"- You've been sending emails to your list for 6 days and on the 7th day you add a scarcity email. It may work.
    Scenario "B"- You are promoting an affiliate product and the price will go up in 7 days. It's real scarcity. If you let them know it's real it could work.
    Scenario "C"- You claim scarcity but your timer starts over each time a prospect reloads the page. Won't work long term.

Dan

unlimitedoptions4us, Jan 28, 2017 IP
  6. Lex350

Lex350 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    It depends on what platform you are selling. If you are an online seller like me then scarcity sells hands down, regardless of having the lowest price.

Lex350, Feb 2, 2017 IP
  7. SARubin

SARubin Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Yes, scarcity does work. Primarily because most people hate to feel like they're missing out on something. (Just human nature. It likely goes back to pre-historic times, when if food was scarce... you'd go hungry. So we had to "get it while the getting was good")

That being said... It only works if you have credibility.

Like unlimitedoptions4us said...

Or, if you claim scarcity but there's 100 other people selling the same thing (then how scarce could it really be?)

On the other hand, if you're selling the same thing as a lot of other people, you could always include a "limited time" bonus to go along with the premium. This provides a bit of scarcity in a legitimate way.

Also agree with jrbiz...

SARubin, Feb 3, 2017 IP
  8. margou

margou Peon

Best Answers:
    I very much agree with you on this point. It may be a legitimate strategy that attracts more customers or a marketing farce that will end up hurting the salesperson.

margou, Feb 3, 2017 IP
  9. Anitasol

Anitasol Active Member

Best Answers:
    It could be good, it could be bad. That depends on the products/services you are selling, if they are scarce or at least, really look scarce. But if you fail in making them look scarce, that's when it's gonna go bad.

Anitasol, Feb 4, 2017 IP
  10. robinymym

robinymym Active Member

Best Answers:
    Scarcity is a fantastic form of conviction and when utilized can generate amazing benefits to your transformation rate. Simply speaking, if you reduce the amount provided of a item or its accessibility you create a limited item. This recognized lack then allows you to sell more.

robinymym, Feb 5, 2017 IP
  11. Jonnyg13

Jonnyg13 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Scarcity is great if its done right. If its fake then its simply annoying but if someone visits your page on Monday and it says 500 left, then revisits on Wednesday and suddenly its only 100 that tends to kick people into action.

Jonnyg13, Feb 6, 2017 IP
  12. xInd

xInd Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I think it's bad, dark ages stuff.... preying on human psychological weaknesses or instincts which we all start out with. I train myself to ignore scarcity marketing tactics, because usually when we give in to them we end up buying something we don't need and rarely use. It's better to make the world a better place, improve upon ourselves and our future.

As a salesperson and in marketing though, it's been quite effective.

xInd, Feb 7, 2017 IP