1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Help with a volatile situation

Discussion in 'General Business' started by harrisjamelsdn, Jan 11, 2017.

Me and a friend started up a web design & graphic design company,

He had managed to get a client for us, we started working on the project, it was mainly web design but he ended up doing 16 logos at a worth of around 600 or pounds. as he can't do any sort of web dev

I spent countless weeks coding night and day (16 websites) to meet the clients deadlines

So at this point (16 logos 2-4 days work)
    (websites 1 month or more)

The project in total came to around £6000 *round about pounds* at the time of the project being finished i had given him 50% even though it was around 5/90 work ratio.

After that project had finished the client wanted web changes to his website, i took around £600 and didn't tell him, at this point the business was rocky

He is saying that he is entitled to half of everything even that, when he has done near to no input in the whole project apart from the logos, i was conversing with client direct on all web design also.

- also on another note we had another client, just after which was a flyer a couple of other bits (he did the work) the client never paid and disappeared of the face of the earth he is now threatening me with "selling the debt" to someone near by, this is not my fault? how can he say he will sell a debt to someone when its the client who has not paid?

Please could you advise?

* from other sources from friends

Yep James, no one in their right mind would dare to ask for that, if you had a formal agreement (signed on paper) it would most likely hold in the court of law, that's bureaucracy, but bureaucracy has nothing to do with common sense.. Not a sane man would expect to be paid 50% for 5% of work

Bottom line: You get payed for what you put into work. If you did a certain percentage of the entire work, you are entitled to that percentage, no more no less. Client bonus is debatable, but sure you could add that as a minor factor. However, that still doesnt add to half of the total you will both get payed for. In my opinion, that "partner" (loose term used here) should get 1k tops, that is including the "client bonus"

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
    harrisjamelsdn, Jan 11, 2017 IP
  2. Theo Cecev

Theo Cecev Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Sorry, but you are the only who knows all the details in this, and only you know how are the social dynamics in that relationship. I think you already know the answer to all of this...

Theo Cecev, Jan 11, 2017 IP
  3. harrisjamelsdn

harrisjamelsdn Peon

Best Answers:
    I do already know the answer, i just wondered if anyone had previous experience thanks though

harrisjamelsdn, Jan 11, 2017 IP
  4. xInd

xInd Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    You are entitled to what you agreed on.
    If you agreed to split the money 50/50 then 50% is his, for doing 5% of the work. It's up to you to make a more reasonable agreement with him.
    Also "selling a debt" could simply mean sending the client to a collection agency, which would be a reasonable course of action. Collection agencies buy debts, they give you less than the person owes, and they collect the total plus interest from the debtor.

Maybe you are just jumping to conclusions about his intent, and you should suggest taking these actions together.

xInd, Jan 11, 2017 IP
  5. VacationCrasher

VacationCrasher Member

Best Answers:
    Keep your word on your original deal. If you felt the workload was unfair then perhaps you should have said something before essentially stealing from you friend and business partner. Pay him the 300 he's owed and take it as a learning lesson to be more selective whom you go into business with.

VacationCrasher, Jan 12, 2017 IP