1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What Are The Best Practices To Reduce Cart Abandonment Rates On An Ecommerce Store?

Discussion in 'eCommerce' started by Ali Amjad, Dec 21, 2016.

Hi, I have been struggling to find some good tips, tactics, and strategies to reduce cart abandonment rates on my e-commerce store. Should I implement exit-intent technology? Should I place attractive ad banners or deals throughout the sales funnel (customer journey)? How are you as store owners tackling this issue?

Ali Amjad, Dec 21, 2016 IP
  2. Mithchen

Mithchen Member

Best Answers:
    Though I am new into all such stuff but I have been following different forums and sites, because I also want to start my own online business and I need to take care of all things. As far as I have seen suggestions, guru says that your site should be attractive and your USP (Unique Selling Points) .i.e. products should be awesome.
    For instance why Shopify overwhelmed Magento? this is because they brought beautiful themes and made things simpler and the simplest.
    In the very same way, feeling the growing importance of E-Commerce, Tibolli.NET got one step ahead of Shopify by offering everything for free. Not even hosting, even free mobile application.
    So why do you think people will stay on Shopify?

The purpose of mentioning this is, to let you know that try to bring something unique and only then you will be able to get some good business.

Mithchen, Dec 22, 2016 IP
  3. Oleksandr

Oleksandr Member

Best Answers:
    In general 60% of abandoned carts is a typical number for a regular store. So it's crucial to be able recover those abandoned carts.
    So what you can do?
    1. The best practice is to scrape the email address and put the user on the cart abandonement email sequence. When user is put on this sequence he starts receiving emails(minimum 7 days of emails). This technique allows you recover on average 25% of abandoned carts -> therefore 25% more sales in your store.
    There are also best practices how to structure this email sequence. It's an interesting topic itself.
    2. The second thing that plays major role is your store conversions. There are tons of things that you can do to increase conversions, like product hero images, USPs, social proof, sales video and many more. Those techniques will increase customer's confidence in purchase and therefore decrease cart abandonement.

Oleksandr, Dec 23, 2016 IP
  4. SEO.Student.15

SEO.Student.15 Member

Best Answers:
    Simplicity - can people get to where they want to go on the site? Are the buttons hidden or buried in a sequence of clicks to get through? You want a simple site that has everything right there at their fingertips.
    Flow - how easy can someone navigate your site? Are the images too big and overwhelming or is there too much content to scroll through before getting to the conversion points on your site?
    Checkout - can people checkout without creating an account? Sometimes little barriers like this lead to more cart abandonment. Are your products in stock? can people see that they are available and ready to ship?
    Images - can people see what they are buying? Are the images good quality or a good representation of what they will get?
    Mobile Friendly - many of your site visitors will be on a mobile device. If they can not checkout from their phone you can bet they will not go get on a desktop computer to do so.
    Page Loading - How fast are your load times? People do not have patience for this anymore. If you site does not load up fast they will leave and go to another site, especially if they are in the middle of a checkout process and just want it over with.
    Shipping - number one reason for abandon carts. They find an awesome deal. That T-shirt that sells for 24.99 in the stores is onsale right now online for 4.99 Whaaaaat. Buy Now! They go to checkout..... "4.99 in shipping! Thats what I am paying for the shirt, no way!" Does not make sense right? they are still getting that 24.99 shirt for 9.98 but for some reason that "sneaky shipping" through them off and they dont want it. Hidden shipping costs or not even hidden on purpose but simply unknown untill the final step in checkout will lead to abandon carts. Offer free shipping in whatever way you can.
    TopASCR.png
    Payment - multiple payment options available? Do not assume everyone uses paypal or everyone knows what Stripe is.
    Trust - display trust. It could be a specific seal or it could be a display of the warranty or satisfaction guaranty. Also along thee lines is social proof. testimonials or reviews from other customers is huge. Not having this probably will not make a person change their mind in the middle of their checkout but having this could lead to more people entering the checkout process and when they enter they enter with confidence so they will be more likely to complete the sale.
    Retargetting - reach back out to the those people who have came and left. Either through abandon cart emails, retargetted advertising or customer profiles and personalization, either way these people are already halfway there of spending money with you. They are the low hanging fruit and the ones who you want to focus on completing the sale with. Even if it does not end in a purchase, try to get feedback or information from these people. They will tell you if their are flaws or things wrong with your site, leading to other abandon carts.

Lastly - there will always be a certain percentage of abandon carts. That is just e-commerce. (it is even true in walmart) sometimes people just leave in the middle of things and there is nothing we can do about it.

Good luck, hope this helps.

SEO.Student.15, Jan 2, 2017 IP
  5. jlogan

jlogan Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Hello Ali,

The first thing you need to do is make sure you have as many SIGNALS OF QUALITY that the customer can see as possible. The modern consumer, is very comfortable spending money online but, they have also been trained to see signals that the business that they are buying from is a legit quailty business and not some spam boy in his college dorm room trying to make a quick million dollars and disapear.

This is a very real fear of online consumers, I know because I routinely talked to my own potential customers and buying customer via chat and phone and I've heard this story repeatedly.

So what are signals of quality?

Here are a few:
    1.Professional Logo & Branding(Very important use Adobe Palette to get a color scheme that is attractive and psychologically attractive just think if Best buy's color schem was purple and blue versus blue and yellow)
    2.Get a real logo done that doesn't look like cheap Shite use fiverr if you are on a tight budget but get it done(I dont know how many times I've seen this)
    3.As mentioned before a responsive theme great on mobile
    4.Everything SEOstudent15 mentioned(Although I have split tested CC only Against CC+Paypal and didn't notice a difference)
    5.Make sure you get a real domain don't use the .myshopify domain or whatever it is.
    6.Setup a real business phone(I use google voice)
    7.Flow a little elaboration on that just model other large ecommerce stores make it look like a real business as soon as they customer gets jittery about your site they are gone forever
    8.Sell quality products that people want, be careful with Chinese trinket selling and Nockoff star wars merchandise, people get pissed and you can have Disney breathing down your neck
    9.Choose your model and implement carefully(For instance the FREE + SHIPPING MODEL is saturated with noobs trying to make a buck from people)
    10.Be upfront with your shipping I would put it in my banner somewhere and or have section for it on your listings so your cust. isn't suprised.
    11.Use dedicated apps I currently use conversio it's great and created beautiful Abandon emails. I can also send receipts with it but do your research and get what you like.(CA App will pay for itself every month at least it does for me)
    12.Get some kind of opt in form I use privy its simple quick and easy and pretty cheap it's like 10$.
    13.Get some kind of Chat app, ive used payed and free I'm currently using the free messenger one for now.
    14.Get a Virtual mail box and put yourself on google maps and put in on your store(Again people are used to seeing real businesses on google maps and yelp)
    15.Put trust stickers on your product listings, visa, amex, mastercard, secure checkout, easy returns etc... on the bottom of your listings again signals of quality
    16.Purchase Trust guard

That's enough to create an environment that will reduce cart abandonment down to the normal percentages.
    However Oleksandr is right you will always have a higher percentage of CA than buyers just the way business is.

Hope that helps

Cheers

jlogan, Jan 2, 2017 IP
  6. SEO.Student.15

SEO.Student.15 Member

Best Answers:
    Signals of Quality great buzzword!

SEO.Student.15, Jan 3, 2017 IP
  7. WebScavenger

WebScavenger Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    This may sound odd, but I abandon a lot of shopping carts when I see the message that asks me if I have a coupon/discount code. And then if I don't have one I feel like I'm losing out, so I go to search in Google for one, then usually get distracted by tons of other links, and I likely will wind up never returning to the original site (at least not until days or weeks or maybe months later if I do).

WebScavenger, Jan 10, 2017 IP
  8. Milliardo

Milliardo Active Member

Best Answers:
    Cart abandonment can happen for a few reasons. Most will not want to go through a long process in checkout. Make purchasing as easy as possible--too many steps will make a person lose interest and abandon quickly. Also make sure not to make loading time too long, though page loading could be more of a connection issue. Still, don't make your pages to be to have too much content that it slows it down. More tips can be found here, which seems to be good ones: https://understandinge.com/preventing-cart-abandonment-black-friday/

Milliardo, Jan 11, 2017 IP
  9. SEO.Student.15

SEO.Student.15 Member

Best Answers:
    Haha did not think too much into that scenario but it is totally true. I have found myself doing the same thing.

Good info graphic on that link Milliardo. I would like to see more than two years being compared though to get an idea if its an increasing or decreasing stat or if it goes up and down every year.

SEO.Student.15, Jan 12, 2017 IP
  10. BrookeHarper

BrookeHarper Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    You're not alone, Ali. There are thousands of e-commerce stores facing the same problem, and only a few decide to do something about it.

I'm glad you're trying to at least take charge of the situation and find ways to remedy the problem. The truth is, you're missing out on a lot of repeat customers if you just sit back and turn a blind eye to cart abandonment.

The most common reasons of customers abandoning their respective shopping carts are:

Price shock/price spikes on shipping and taxes. Customers would opt for shops that offer free shipping rather than those that don't include shipping fees to the price displayed at the bottom of the product they're viewing.
    Site security. Customers tend to hesitate to click the "buy now" button and enter their credit card details due to security concerns.
    Limited payments options. The more payments options are available, the more chances a customer would checkout.

To "counter" cart abandonment, e-commerce stores would have a fighting chance if they conduct email follow-ups based on the data collected during transactions. Tenfold is a tool that e-commerce sites can use to track and analyze customer behavior to automatically determine which order requires a follow-up and what kind of follow-up is needed. So if you're planning to use technology to lessen abandoned shopping carts, at this point, it's definitely an awesome idea!

BrookeHarper, May 21, 2017 IP
  11. LenaStorchak

LenaStorchak Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Hi all,

Cart abandonment is one of the main issues TriggMine tries to solve. And what's important - it's fast to install and setup, not expencive at all and works properly!

Imagine launching all eight key email campaigns for your eCommerce venture in just a couple clicks. Total. For all eight. No complicated settings, optimizations, heavy prep work…
    All these is already set in our system.

TriggMine is a new layer of email automation, one that drives the effectiveness of email marketing and growing alongside the company’s revenue.
    So what do we do here?
    1. Email automation workflows library (it takes less than 30 minutes to launch a fully-automated email campaign)
    2. Smart segmentation and real-time data
    3. All automation and Analytics in one place
    4. One button to start (an installation process takes less than 5 minutes!)
    TriggMine charges nothing until you hit your first milestone of $1,000 in sales from our automation system. So you can always check test :)

LenaStorchak, Jun 28, 2017 IP
  12. debbie hansen

debbie hansen Member

Best Answers:
    It seems that there were already a couple of advises with regards your problems. But let me add my strategy. I am spending some $ on FB Ads remarketing. You can target those people who added something in the cart but didn't continue making a purchase. It is a good reminder for customers.

debbie hansen, Jul 9, 2017 IP
  13. Sirarpi01

Sirarpi01 Peon

Best Answers:
    An innovative live chat. This makes it easier to engage with your customers while they are still on your website. Also, while they are typing the question, waiting for your answer, they spend time on your website which leads to having lower bounce rate and ranking higher in search engines. For a live chat, there are lots of options you can choose from. I came across some good recommendations; the best practice provide the ones, like Backtocart, which will also enable you to present your special offers right from the chat window. This one was in the top 3 according to this Answer Wiki section and is free for the first 100 beta users this month. The more care you show for your visitors, the sooner you will convert them into customers.

Sirarpi01, Mar 27, 2018 IP