1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Please review my personal blog

Discussion in 'Websites' started by bxuser, Dec 28, 2016.

Hello,

I'm looking for reviews of my personal blog about experiences in domain names. I post tutorials, coupon codes and whatever else comes to mind when it comes to domain names.

In the past I have tried to start a blog about 2 - 3 times and by the 2 day I would delete them because of a number of reasons including writers block.

With this blog is different I am upto my 55th blog post one post per day sometimes when there's a deal I would post a coupon code.

I spent days looking for a theme that I really like. I had one on the site for 2 weeks then I changed it for the one I have on now. I really like the one I have now because it's soo simple and it works for me good. I like the way the post look full with just 200 - 400 words and I like the placements of the advertisements.

Mostly my blog post are around 200 - 400 with some going up as much as 900+ words.

The logo took about 10 revisions until I was left with something that I like. I might have it replaced in a few months.

I put the most important menus on top while the less important are at the bottom of the blog.

https://dominionombres.com/

Any thoughts & opinions are appreciated.

Thank you for reading.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2016
    bxuser, Dec 28, 2016 IP
  2. angor

angor Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    hello,
    1) i see why you had writer block previously. You post every day! That's insane! :)
    2) you have sharing buttons for posts, but not for the whole blog. Why? I'd add.
    3) do you have themes available? I'd try a few other colors, it looks too strict now.

otherwise I like it, its fast and easy to read.

angor, Jan 4, 2017 IP
    bxuser likes this.
  3. bxuser

bxuser Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thank you for the review Angor,

1) I found my rhythm of making one post per day sometimes 2. It has run through my mind that one day I might not have something to talk about. :(

2) I never thought about adding a shared for the whole blog. I'll do it soon. TY!

3) Like I said on my original post I really like this theme but I'll look for a new one soon.

bxuser, Jan 4, 2017 IP
  4. angor

angor Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    regarding theme - it's not just what you like, it's also what visitors like :)
    good luck!

angor, Jan 4, 2017 IP
  5. ltsune

ltsune Member

Best Answers:
    When I look at your blog, I see a lot of things being done correctly.

The portfolio is a nice touch, and so is the Website Directory.

However, I'll have to agree and chime in with angor that the design just isn't working for me, as a visitor.
    If you have ad-block turned on (which sadly quite some of your visitors will have), the website looks a bit too empty.

If I were you, I'd ask myself the following; Do most people come into the frontpage and then chose a blog post to read, or do they come to a specific blog post directly from e.g. Google, social media etc.?

Why does this matter? Because it'll help you find a new theme (if you end up changing it). The current theme, in my opinion, looks quite alright when viewing a single post. But the frontpage seems a bit... outdated? It's a bit too simple for my taste, and it doesn't really do a great job at communicating "value". This is an issue since many of your blog posts are actually of high value.
    However, if only few of your visitors actually visit the homepage, then all of this is of less importance.

Oh, and one last thing; try experiment with adding relevant images in your blog posts. They can really help liven up a text-heavy blog post.

I hope these first impressions of a first-time-visitor will help you :)

ltsune, Jan 8, 2017 IP
    bxuser likes this.
  6. bxuser

bxuser Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thank you for your review Itsune,

It's going to take me sometime before I could fine a theme that I really like. I'm sort of old school person I don't like changes and some of these new themes out now don't look that good to me.

But you're right now I have to see my blog as a visitor.

I did notice a bit of a spike in the bounce rate but it is still below 50%

bxuser, Jan 9, 2017 IP
  7. ltsune

ltsune Member

Best Answers:
    You're mostly welcome, bxuser.

In the end, you have to feel good about how the website looks yourself, so just take the tips for what they're worth, and continue working in the direction you deem best fit for you, your website, and your visitors.
    For what it's worth, I do agree with you that many new themes don't really look all that great.

In the end, remember that content wins over design. But we still all secretly want the Christmas present with that beautiful wrapping and huge shiny red ribbon, despite knowing that the small and foil-wrapped present in the corner holds a valuable diamond ring. If you know what I mean :)

ltsune, Jan 9, 2017 IP
    bxuser likes this.
  8. partnerdig

partnerdig Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hello,

1) I like the design but I would use another color instead of grey.
    2) You could add social media icons on the homepage.

The website logo is designed to match the domain name....why did you choose a spanish name?¿

partnerdig, Jan 19, 2017 IP
    bxuser likes this.
  9. bxuser

bxuser Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thank you for the replies,

About the social media icons I have a plugin installed but I have been lazy in creating accounts at social media sites for the blog. I started now and the only one that I am liking right now is twitter. I'm not that big into social media sites I prefer forums the most.

Why I went with a Spanish name? Domain Names is one of my favorite domains but can't afford the English version of it.

bxuser, Jan 19, 2017 IP
  10. Pakiisp

Pakiisp Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hi @bxuser,

When I visited your site on Firefox I got the security alert. I think your site is not properly configured for SSL. Without SSL your site works fine on Firefox.

For me as a user I don't see anything special on your site to attract my eyeballs. Like, site design is not bad but needs improvments.

Add the logo, menu in the top of header and add content.

Overall site is good.

Pakiisp, Jan 21, 2017 IP
  11. bxuser

bxuser Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thank you for the reply Pakiisp,

I'm making some changes and I'm working on it right now.

bxuser, Jan 21, 2017 IP
  12. Pakiisp

Pakiisp Active Member

Best Answers:
    You're welcome! Still your site is not working with "https".

Pakiisp, Feb 13, 2017 IP
  13. bxuser

bxuser Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks everyone for the reviews.

I have turned the blog into a web hosting service provider now.

bxuser, Feb 19, 2017 IP