1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Can you use a product name in your domain name?

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by Bobby Hood, Dec 23, 2016.

Is it legal to include another company's product name in your domain name?

Specifically, I'm developing a guide for a video game and want to know if I can include the name of the game in my domain. The game's genre is "survival" so I registered the domain "survive[GameNameHere].com". Is that going to be a problem? If it is, how could I keep it as close as possible without infringing on anything? Like using an abbreviation or initialism.

I state on the front page that it's an "unofficial guide" and on the about page state that the site is in no way affiliated with the game's developer. I do plan on using Google advertising.

Bobby Hood, Dec 23, 2016 IP
  2. pmf123

pmf123 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    it is legal for a review site or similar

but some companies have big lawyers and tons of money to threaten to stop you doing it

so it depends who the company is and how much you want to spend to keep your domain

pmf123, Dec 23, 2016 IP
  3. bae

bae Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If you're planning to use Google advertising, then probably not. You may even get your site banned, especially if the trademark holder complains.

Review sites are one thing. Review sites that make money are something different.

Does the video game have any other sites dedicated to it? If so, what do they do?

You might look here for help:
    https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/troubleshooter/6123119

bae, Dec 25, 2016 IP
  4. Proaffili

Proaffili Active Member

Best Answers:
    You shouldn't run into any trouble using the word "survive" but just to remove any possibility of that, use "s-u-r-v-i-v-e" instead. You will be more than safe here.

Proaffili, Dec 26, 2016 IP
  5. emailmbooster

emailmbooster Member

Best Answers:
    I have bad experienced with my app's website, that I used the same domain name with the app name.
    Now I change the app name because I think it should be changed.... but I can't change domain name because I need to do all SEO work I have done for the old domain with the new one :(

emailmbooster, Dec 26, 2016 IP
  6. hims995

hims995 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Hello, I,m new here and I've these domains
    dimensionsoftwares.com, dreamlineairways.com) to sell urgently I've tried at Go-daddy auctions but didn't get any single reply, please help me to sell them

hims995, Dec 26, 2016 IP
  7. Proaffili

Proaffili Active Member

Best Answers:
    I am not sure I understand your issue well. If it is that you have changed the name of the app but you cannot change the domain name and it can work that way, then my advice to you is, just use it as it is. If not, you may have to go ahead and change the domain name as well and do the SEO all over again.

8. Proaffili

Proaffili Active Member

Best Answers:
    There are some minor procedures that all members must follow before one is allowed to post products for sale. Please refer to guidelines for new members.

9. hims995

hims995 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Thanks Proaffili, I will see guidelines

hims995, Dec 26, 2016 IP
  10. SEOwriterplus

SEOwriterplus Active Member

Best Answers:
    When I first started, I used some domain names that included brand names as part of their names, but I have since learned that this is generally a BAD idea, so I no longer do that and am phasing out any that are remaining. The same is true for product names, except for book titles (I think).

So I would generally recommend that you avoid using product or brand names inside a domain. However, you could set up an authority site on, say, video game reviews, and then include the product names as part of the post titles and get some search engine juice that way. That might be okay.

For example: videogamereviews.com/Game-name-review

Please note though that I am NOT a lawyer and don't give legal advice.

SEOwriterplus, Jan 1, 2017 IP
  11. karen9999

karen9999 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Make sure your domain name is clear and is quit long to match your products.

karen9999, Jan 2, 2017 IP
  12. iwebsocial

iwebsocial Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Its depends on the company which product you want to promote. If they allow you to use their product names etc than you are ok to use it as a affiliate. However most of the company doesn't allow it and it will consider as a trademark violation. So, better verify it with the company or read their terms very carefully. Hope it will help you.

iwebsocial, Jan 8, 2017 IP
  13. Best Seller

Best Seller Active Member

Best Answers:
    Here is a blog with some great information from a trademark, copyright and entertainment attorney licensed in California: http://iangibson.com/about-ian-gibson-esq/. You may find answers to your questions here, or you may even be able to contact Ian directly for his advice. He's a great guy. Give it a try.

Best Seller, Mar 8, 2017 IP