1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Wordpress WEB site grew huge, how to fix it?

Discussion in 'Site & Server Administration' started by ZackP, Dec 28, 2016.

We noticed that we can't update site or plugins. Looked for reasons on Internet and one of advices was to check C Panel. So I did and found that site used up complete 2 GB space on server. I remember site + DB being about 700 MB in size.
    I am looking at C panel interface and filing system and I don't know what I can delete in order not to delete something important? I don't see large backups

ZackP, Dec 28, 2016 IP
  2. SpacePhoenix

SpacePhoenix Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Where is the bulk of the extra disk space use coming from, the site files or the database? If it's the database, check the comments table for possible spam, maybe someone has started spamming your blog. In any case un anti-malware and anti-virus scans on any computer that you use for development work or for FTP use and change your FTP password for a strong password, just in case anyone has hacked the server.

Are there any files there that shouldn't be there or look out of place?

SpacePhoenix, Dec 28, 2016 IP
  3. ZackP

ZackP Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Disk Space Usage 2.02 GB / 1.95 GB

Monthly Bandwidth Transfer 35.84 GB / ∞

Email Accounts 1 / 1

Subdomains 1 / 3

Parked Domains 4 / 10

Addon Domains 0 / 1

FTP Accounts 0 / 1

Mailing Lists 0 / 1

All SQL Databases 1 / 1

MySQL Databases 1
    MySQL Disk Space 156.11 MB
    Mailing List Disk Space 0 MB
    Hosting Package default
    Server Name xxxxx
    cPanel Version 60.0 (build 28)
    Theme x3
    Apache Version 2.4.23
    PHP Version 5.6.29
    MySQL Version 5.6.34
    Architecture x86_64
    Operating System linux
    Shared IP Address xxxxxxxx
    Path to sendmail /usr/xxxxxxx
    Path to Perl /usr/xxxxx
    Perl Version 5.16.3
    Kernel Version 3.10.0-327.22.2.el7.x86_64
    cPanel Pro 1.0 (RC1)
    Service Status xxxxx
    - - - - - - - - -
    this is report from the left of the C Panel. It looks like DB is only 156 MB so things are bloated up somewhere else. We have Ithemes security and no blog whatsoever. We actually disabled comments using such plugin.

ZackP, Dec 28, 2016 IP
  4. ZackP

ZackP Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Here is where I see a lot of images, not very big individually:

UPLOADS (folder)
    >>2013 (sub-folder)
    >>2015 (sub-folder)
    >>2016 (sub-folder)

ZackP, Dec 28, 2016 IP
  5. SpacePhoenix

SpacePhoenix Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Apart from yourself is anyone else permitted to upload (images etc)? Is there a single folder within the uploads that uses a huge chunk of the usage that isn't accounted for?

SpacePhoenix, Dec 28, 2016 IP
  6. ZackP

ZackP Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I think I found right place. There is a tool called Disk Usage and shows that Public HTML folder(s) use up to 1.3 GB of space. Now I have to open those and find who is biggest culprit. So far I found Updraft backup saving files there and also in the cloud, so I'll delete files from server

Last edited: Dec 28, 2016
    ZackP, Dec 28, 2016 IP
  7. ZackP

ZackP Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I got everything down to 1.25 GB. I still think it should be less but this tool Disk Usage is exactly what one needs to chase big files down. It's another story that I don't know what everything I could delete without ruining main files.
    Thank you everybody who wanted to help

ZackP, Dec 28, 2016 IP
  8. kennedygitahi

kennedygitahi Active Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    If my size outgrows its space, I check the backups I have on FTP as well as the images I have. For backups, I ensure that I have 2-4 iterations of my site taken on a weekly basis at any given time and no more. For images, you can either compress them or serve them from another server but that might increase the number of requests on your site and impact load times.

kennedygitahi, Dec 29, 2016 IP
  9. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    Check your .trash folder (assuming there's one). You may find some deleted and long forgotten folders and files there that are taking up space.

qwikad.com, Dec 29, 2016 IP
  10. mmerlinn

mmerlinn Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    With a DB of less than 200mb, I find it kind of hard to believe that your site uses over 1GB of space, UNLESS you have a bunch of bloated video files or other useless bloated files. You might re-examine the purpose of your site. In the process you might find areas that are useless and/or bloated that can be safely discarded without affecting the overall mission of the site.

mmerlinn, Dec 31, 2016 IP
  11. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    I'm just wondering what shit hosting would only give you 2gb of space; the cheapest plans I'm aware of right now offer 25 times that.... though admittedly these days I'm only looking at VPS or dedicated. 2gb is nothing in terms of modern storage. I'd piss through that in three days!

My advice, get better hosting. I mean right now you can get a 50gb VPS with quad core CPU and a gig of RAM most places for less than ten bucks a month, unmetered!

deathshadow, Dec 31, 2016 IP
  12. PoPSiCLe

PoPSiCLe Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    I would like to know where I can get a decent VPS-service with those specs. Have any recommendations?

PoPSiCLe, Jan 2, 2017 IP
  13. deathshadow

Best Answers:
    I've been using these guys for a few years now. Haven't let me down yet, and seem to rotate hardware regularly since I keep getting "free upgrades' to whatever their latest minimum spec is -- which ALSO seems to mean they don't oversell their servers.

https://afterburst.com/unmetered-ssd-vps

Mind you, that's a raw VPS -- from the OpenVZ panel you can choose a Linux install and it brings it up JUST to the point you can SSH into it. You want apache? Install it yourself. PHP? Install it yourself. MariaDB? Install it yourself? Some form of Panel? You get the idea. There is no handholding, no management, no stock panel... You are on your own! They will cover hardware, and getting you in on a KVM should you screw up your remote SSH, and that's about it.

I've been going with Debian then basically following HowToForge's "Perfect Server" tutorials. I can handle a Linux config raw from nothing, but it's nice to have something to double-check your memory against given the number of packages involved.

https://www.howtoforge.com/tutorial...8-4-jessie-apache-bind-dovecot-ispconfig-3-1/

Once you have the VPS at the base install, you go there and basically skip to step 5. (do NOT configure the hostname -- step 4 -- it breaks how the VPS works).

It's not rocket science to spin your own, and it's nice to know you're running the latest and greatest -- see how I just upped to the latest everything; including PHP 7.1 and MariaDB 10.0.28. No being at the whims of whatever lame excuses crappy shared hosts vomit up for leaving your sack hanging out with PHP versions that are past "end of life" security patching.

Oh, mind you their plans are SSD cached, so that's hybrid storage based on accesses, not a pure SSD solution. I actually prefer that as I STILL don't trust SSD's for long term storage given that in my experience they have the durability of wet toilet paper, so it's nice to have the good old magnetic storage sitting as a layer beneath it.

Really it's a skill you should have anyways, and once it's done it's not like going in once a month and typing "apt-get update; apt-get upgrade" is the end of the world when it comes to maintaining it.

In that way all these preconfigired CPanel hosting plans I see people using worry me for being "false simplicity" -- in the form of having simplified the task down below the minimum required to actually do the job right. Well, that and I just hate CPanel, always have. It is hardly what I'd call an intuitive interface for setting up websites.

deathshadow, Jan 3, 2017 IP
  14. PoPSiCLe

PoPSiCLe Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    I'm fine with configing it myself - I currently use DigitalOcean (benefit, they have servers close to me), and they do provide some basic management for the VPS (like a networking setup-page, for DNS and such), but when it comes to setting up the server, you're on your own. However, their pricing is a bit on the steep side, therefore I'm looking for some other solutions, to try out :)

PoPSiCLe, Jan 3, 2017 IP
  15. ketting00

ketting00 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Talking about DigitalOcean, do you renew your LetsEncrypt license automatically. If yes, how to do so?
    I follow DigitalOcean instruction for a website hosted on another provider's VPS and it doesn't work. I have to update it manually and this is annoyance.

I'm about to deploy a new project on DigitalOcean to take the advantage of its CDN locations.

Thanks,

ketting00, Jan 3, 2017 IP
  16. qwikad.com

Best Answers:
    @ketting00 Hey, just wanted to let your know that one of your sites in the sig. goes to this error:

1.gif

You may want to contact the service that provided you with that security certificate. The certificate date is not valid.

qwikad.com, Jan 3, 2017 IP
  17. ketting00

Best Answers:
    Thanks @qwikad.com ,

I forgot how to take it out from my signature. The site is inactive for a while. I don't have time to take care of it. Hopefully it will be up and running soon after I quit my day job.

Damn! That costs 25 bucks a month. Anyway, it's fun to be pretending a Russian coder. Worth every penny. :)

ketting00, Jan 4, 2017 IP
  18. ketting00

Best Answers:
    One more thing, how do you manage to bypass adblocker. I consider inject it through websocket, but not sure if that against the big G law.

ketting00, Jan 4, 2017 IP
  19. qwikad.com

Best Answers:
    Do you mean SSL certificate? Consider Comodo PositiveSSL Certificate. 1 year / 39.99. They have 3 different packages if you're with HostGator, not sure how it works with other hosting providers.

I didn't know a secure connection can be a problem for adblockers.

You truly qualify comrade.

PS It's better not to sidetrack this thread any further. I should've probably PMed you reg your site.

qwikad.com, Jan 4, 2017 IP
  20. deathshadow

Best Answers:
    In Soviet Russia, the code programs you.

deathshadow, Jan 7, 2017 IP