1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

10 Yo / Alexa 5000 website... still can't get listed in Dmoz

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by digdogger, Nov 20, 2016.

I've tried multiple times (over years and years). All my competitors are listed. Yet, somehow, I can't get my website listed in Dmoz. It's amazing that other services (like Alexa) use
    Dmoz exclusively to categorize their listings.

Any advice? Or should I just ignore it?

digdogger, Nov 20, 2016 IP
  2. Agent000

Agent000 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    How do you think any directory (not just DMOZ) should treat those sites that deliberately break the terms and conditions that they agree to when they submit? (
    ...thats called spamming and is a deliberate break of what you agreed to when you submitted! How do you think they should treat you?
    There is no advice; all you need to do is submit ONCE and you will eventually get listed or not.

Agent000, Nov 20, 2016 IP
  3. Blitz

Blitz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Spend $5 on this guy: https://www.fiverr.com/lvtrees/submit-your-site-to-dmoz-expertly as he's helped me out with some sites in the past. He will point out any obvious errors and which category you should apply to.

Then, if you still get rejected, try tracking down the editor of your category. If you still get rejected, find another similar category and apply there.

Also, as you probably know... DMOZ is a good trust signal but will do little to boost your SERPs as it would a decade ago :p

Blitz, Nov 24, 2016 IP
  4. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    You do realise that it's a volunteer driven site
    and you could... volunteer
    Every volunteer makes a difference to reducing the overall queue so even if you aren't working on the category your site is in you are making it easier for volunteers who work across multiple categories to find their way to your submission

sarahk, Nov 24, 2016 IP
  5. snooks

snooks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    What a load of crap :( You know if the site is listable or not by reading the guidelines and it is a waste of time suggesting a site that does not meet them. What makes you think you were rejected ? You may still be awaiting review as that can take from 1 day to many years.

But then you say to resubmit again to a similar category which means not only are you resubmitting the site, when we specifically ask you to submit once, but you intentionally submit to the wrong category. So the site sits there for "x" time and then the Editor sees that it had to go to the correct cat, but he hasnt got editing permissions there so he moves it to the correct cat and the sitting and waiting for review starts again. Yep.....real smart tactic that was. :(

Doing stupid things like that is what doubles the workload and doubles the waiting time. Just submit to the correct category and then move along and promote your site elsewhere. What will be will be..........

snooks, Dec 10, 2016 IP
    sarahk likes this.
  6. digdogger

digdogger Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well, after a year of not being listed, I resubmitted. I don't call that spamming. I'd be happy to help volunteer, but the application process is tedious.

digdogger, Dec 11, 2016 IP
  7. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Oh Bless
    You'd probably find being an Editor tedious too then

sarahk, Dec 11, 2016 IP
  8. Agent000

Agent000 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    yet they still expect DMOZ to provide them with the free link that they want .... go figure

Agent000, Dec 11, 2016 IP
    sarahk likes this.
  9. snooks

snooks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Aw....you poor little love :(

The Editor application is too tedious for you, but you complain that everyone else hasnt done enough editing to get around to reveiwing your site, within a year or so. So just fo clarify............ our existing editors do not do enough editing yet YOU, do not even do ONE edit (lol) But then you claim you are happy to volunteer as an Editor but you find the application form "too tedious" and you come here expecting sympathy???

Take a teaspoon of cement and harden up Princess!

snooks, Dec 14, 2016 IP
    malky66 and sarahk like this.
  10. cm2010

cm2010 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    What is your site URL and category that you submitted?

cm2010, Dec 25, 2016 IP