1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How to choose a domain name?

Discussion in 'Domain Names' started by darren hayes, Aug 9, 2016.

1. Canna

Canna Peon

Best Answers:
    if the keyword and your business name is available, why not buy both to secure your place in the market.

Cheers

Canna, Nov 25, 2016 IP
  2. EmanuelR

EmanuelR Well-Known Member

Best Answers:

Hey Darren, Selecting a domain name that has a business keyword can be a little challenging

Choosing a domain name for your business site is an essential step in the website creation process. Not only will it make your site look professional, but it will also aid with your company name awareness, and is a marvelous way to brand your business.

Most companies usually choose a domain that complements their business logo. However, it may be more useful for website traffic if you pick a domain that contains a business relevant keyword in it. Besides, it's an excellent idea if the domain you want is not already taken or sold. You can use https://www.shopify.com/tools/business-name-generator to help you accomplish this task.

Selecting a domain with a business keyword means adding a possible keyword search term in the URL of your company domain-name. For instance, if you're a Personal Mentor or Coach, and you operate under your full name, you could have the personalized domain say something like "YourNameTheMentor.com". Alternatively, you could provide a business keyword term that possible customers could be browsing for on the search engines, such as "YourNameTheCoach.com". Decide on which domain for your personal business website is based on what keywords you 'd like to rank for in the search engines.

There are a few explanations why adding a business keyword to your domain name is an excellent idea. Not only can it make the URL more meaningful, it can also establish a potential lead that your site is relevant to your prospect search before they even click on your URL.

Traditionally, if a particular keyword were used in a domain name, the site would rank higher for that keyword in search engines. More lately, search engines have made changes to their algorithms, suggesting keyword rich domains have less of an impact on SEO rankings. That being said, it is not necessarily a bad thing to include a keyword in your business domain name, granted that you do not give up the branding of your company.

Some other points to consider when adding a keyword to your business domain name:

Does it create the URL too long?-- A domain name should be 16 characters or less.

Is it brand building, simple to read, and unforgettable?-- An unforgettable name will help with brand establishment.

Additionally, the more customers think of your domain, the more potential prospects your website will allure. Once in a while, some business names don't fair well in URLS as in the case of these companies to name a few:

(ExpertSexChange.com = Experts Exchange.com),
    (PenisLand.net = Pen Island.com) and
    (ChoosesPain.com = Choose Spain.com).

Don't incorporate hyphens-- Adding hyphens to your domain can negatively affect your SEO ranking, they also don't look very professional and show up spammy. Stay clear of them whenever possible.

I hope this has enlightened you to make the right decision Darren, in choosing the right keyword with your brand of business.

To Your Success
    Emanuel R

Last edited: Nov 26, 2016
    EmanuelR, Nov 26, 2016 IP
    bxuser likes this.
  3. globegenius

globegenius Active Member

Best Answers:
    I use my imagination a lot and hand reg a few. Since we are dealing with intellectual property, I thought I would use one of 3 abbreviations for Artificial intelligence. Computers are getting smarter everyday and artificial intelligence is the future.
    New today artifintell(dot)com
    What do you think of it?

globegenius, Nov 26, 2016 IP
  4. EmanuelR

EmanuelR Well-Known Member

Best Answers:

Hi Globegenius,

Yes, computers are getting smarter, faster and more intelligent every day. But we live in a world and society where people must communicate with each other base on a language the two party understands.

When we pick our domain names, we want to make them as simple and clear as possible, so that even a fifth grader can understand it. Today's consumers and prospects are very smart and intelligent; We do not want a confused mind because a confused mind does not buy things, but we still need to communicate effectively with our customers so they can understand what our business is all about.

The domain name (artifintell(dot)com at first glance, does not tell me anything about its meaning because it is not spelled out clearly in its correct form like (artificial intel(dot)com). Since the word "artificial" is spelled out correctly and "intel" is already an agreed (abbr.) acronym for "intelligent" from the dictionary, hence completes my understanding.

Try using words from the dictionary and thesaurus when choosing your domain names, and you would come out ahead a winner every time.

Hope that helps
    To Your Success
    Emanuel R

Last edited: Nov 27, 2016
    EmanuelR, Nov 27, 2016 IP
  5. degreubiwa

degreubiwa Banned

Best Answers:
    It is often recommended to include the keyword in domain name as this helps in ranking on search engines most of the times.

degreubiwa, Nov 30, 2016 IP
  6. John-zeta

John-zeta Peon

Best Answers:
    I have all my domains of lading-pages include keywords. It helps me in search results.

John-zeta, Nov 30, 2016 IP
  7. vivianso

vivianso Active Member

Best Answers:
    something that people will key in the search engine
    like i got a domain yourbestcareercoach.com people will search for best career coach
    or digitalmarketingbest.com people will search for digital marketing
    it is like a word play. I can come up with tons of domain name

vivianso, Dec 1, 2016 IP
  8. globegenius

globegenius Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thank you for the feedback. I do not usually reg abbreviations. Search engines do recognize it though. Just like one a week ago ApplePye.com I have a web precense for it already. Needs some more work I know.
    ApplePye.com if you do not like apple pie well there might be something wrong with you. lol Note I have to change the A record. Just redirected right now.
    [​IMG]

globegenius, Dec 3, 2016 IP
  9. skysd

skysd Greenhorn

Best Answers:

Very right. But sometimes, the KeyWord is more expensive than the business name.
    Startups with enough capital should buy the two domains.

skysd, Dec 8, 2016 IP
  10. dennisio

dennisio Peon

Best Answers:
    I use keywords on domain`s names. my experience is that it is better

dennisio, Dec 9, 2016 IP
  11. Dana C. Beck

Dana C. Beck Active Member

Best Answers:
    Greetings, in choosing an effective domain name there are a few factors to consider.

When choosing a domain name you want to stay away from “spammy” website names like “makefastmoney.com”, “getcashfast.com”, and so on. Ideally, the shorter your domain name the better, because short domain names are easier to remember generally. Here are some examples of some great short domain names:
    msn.com
    at&t.com
    mlb.com
    cnn.com
    These are 3 – 4 letters long and because of branding, everyone knows what these websites are about. You can also use a single word that is easily recognized for your domain as well. Here are some examples of some of these:
    Google.com - one of the most successful
    Amazon.com
    Microsoft.com
    Verizon.com
    Dell.com
    Just what does the word “google” mean? You may not know the answer to this but you know exactly what “google.com” is!

Another technique for your domain name is being able to have a description of what your website is all about just in the domain name. Here are some great examples:

Containerstore.com – what do you suppose you’ll find when you go to this domain? Certainly not car tires or sports coats! CONTAINERS for every possible use!
    Bedbathandbeyond.com – do I need to elaborate on this one? Obviously not.
    Autozone.com – again, what do you think you would find if you go to this website? Not baby formula or leisure suits! Anything and everything you could possibly need for your car!

Again the goal is to make your domain name as descriptive as possible while at the same time keeping it short!

Lastly here are two websites that you can utilize to come up with ideas for your domain name:

namemesh.com and leandomainsearch.com. These two sites can help you in coming up with a unique and effective domain name. So as you can see, a lot of planning and thought should go into deciding on a domain name. But with an effective domain name, you will not only establish your brand, but people will remember who you are!

Hope this helps

Dana C. Beck, Dec 14, 2016 IP