1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Can you build an eCommerce website without using a major programming language?

Discussion in 'eCommerce' started by Katt777, Apr 15, 2016.

Hi,

I'm not sure if this is the catagory I should be posting in, but I'm curious if it is possible to build a small eCommerce site (roughly six or so products) using only html, CSS, JavaScript, and integrating a third party shopping cart and payment gateway (both of which claim they can protect customer data) I was thinking of using PayPal gateway and possibly SnipCart. Basically, I want to know if I can do this without knowing php. I also don't want to use a cms.

I'm sorry in advance if this is a stupid question, but I am relatively new at web development.

Katt777, Apr 15, 2016 IP
  2. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    You probably can but why would you? There are plenty of off the shelf systems that are either free or damn cheap so you might as well get something decent.

BTW JavaScript is a "major programming language"

sarahk, Apr 15, 2016 IP
  3. Katt777

Katt777 Peon

Best Answers:
    I actually want to learn how to build it myself, which is why I kind of wanted to stay away from off the shelf solutions. Also, wouldn't I more than likely have to use one of their templates?

Katt777, Apr 15, 2016 IP
  4. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Build your own template?

sarahk, Apr 15, 2016 IP
  5. Katt777

Katt777 Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, I suppose I could build my own template. Thanks for your help btw.

Katt777, Apr 16, 2016 IP
  6. Francois Lanthier Nadeau

Francois Lanthier Nadeau Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    @Katt777 Franck from Snipcart here.

Thought I'd drop by to answer your question personally:

Using Snipcart + PayPal (or any other payment gateway) on top of a custom site built with HTML/CSS/JS will work A1. And nope, you won't need any PHP knowledge for that. As a matter of fact, you won't need any back-end programming language skills at all.

I was wondering: have you considered using a static site generator to deploy your site? We've seen a lot of lean, fast e-commerce projects using a static site generator + Snipcart lately. We also wrote about such a set up on the Netlify blog if you're interested.

Anyhow, if you end up trying out Snipcart on your own site, give us a shout at geeks[at]snipcart[dot]com! We'd love to help how we can. :)

Cheers

7. appkodes

appkodes Banned

Best Answers:
    You can build site without using major programming languages, but it will give you minimum guarantee for providing features of your site. which will let you down. so better decide what are all the feature you want to customize in your site then analyse is it possible to give without using php. If not possible include php. otherwise leave php.

appkodes, Apr 20, 2016 IP
  8. seoaceindia

seoaceindia Banned

Best Answers:
    yes you can build with opencart script cms.

seoaceindia, Apr 20, 2016 IP
  9. WebmasterPhil

WebmasterPhil Member

Best Answers:
    Yes you can but it's good to have some basic programming knowledge because the script that does the actual ecommerce transaction or shopping cart will likely have some coding that you might need to tweak.

If you're using PayPal as your payment processor, then you don't need much programming knowledge.

WebmasterPhil, Apr 23, 2016 IP
  10. IdosellShop

IdosellShop Banned

Best Answers:
    You can setup, a massive online store due wyswig edition. Usually there are templates which are fully functional and you can make changes trough CMS. It is up to you to setup if you want to focus on selling and orders processing- If I ware you I would master this side of a case.

IdosellShop, May 30, 2016 IP
  11. Saurabh Thakur

Saurabh Thakur Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Why you didn't buy ready-made solution. With ready-made solution, you save both cost & time. And you didn't need to know some special technical knowledge.

Saurabh Thakur, Jul 8, 2016 IP
  12. ZackP

ZackP Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Use X-Cart free edition shopping cart

ZackP, Nov 22, 2016 IP
  13. Milliardo

Milliardo Active Member

Best Answers:
    If this were early 2000, I would think so. Basic HTML plus learning how to make simple layouts would work then. Now though that is still possible, you would be competing with sites that are more sophisticated. Knowing PhP, CSS and of course HTML5 will go a long way in building your site. Or else you can just get any of those eCommerce platforms, though you still have to know the basics of PhP and the like, if nothing else so you can troubleshoot in case anything goes wrong.

Milliardo, Nov 23, 2016 IP
  14. ZackP

ZackP Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I am not proud of it but I don't have any knowledge about PHP, CSS and other programming languages. For me I have to get or buy software and it ranks very high for me if it is obvious and easy to use. I simply don't have time for experimenting and troubleshooting. It is like getting shoes, must fit from the first shot.

ZackP, Nov 23, 2016 IP
  15. ericastone

ericastone Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I agree with appkodes. If you are experimenting on site creation, the time spent on it could help u bring your business even further by running some marketing campaigns for your product.
    Leave the site creation to the experts and i would recommend these guys to u - they build stunning websites and even offer SEO packages. PickYourCraft.com
    I personally have 2 projects undertaken by them last year and they were very professional.
    Judging by your requirement, it shouldn't take more than a $300 to build a site for u

ericastone, Nov 25, 2016 IP
  16. imviv3k

imviv3k Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    yes sure! with wordpress + woocommerce plugin! Its fairly easy to use!

imviv3k, Nov 27, 2016 IP