1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Please review my website!

Discussion in 'Websites' started by mmehta, Oct 22, 2016.

Hi friends,

I'm currently in the process of building a website for my startup. This initially began as a school project but I'm looking to turn the idea into an actual business. I'm a beginner when it comes to creating websites and I'm looking for some tips to make the site more attractive and marketable. Any and all advice is greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Here's the website: http://smartsteeringwheel.wixsite.com/wonderwheel

mmehta, Oct 22, 2016 IP
  2. malky66

malky66 Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    The question is...why are you using that garbage wix for building such a simple website?

malky66, Oct 23, 2016 IP
    sarahk likes this.
  3. denis bayly

denis bayly Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hi there mmehta,

this is what I see ...

site.jpg

...when I visit your site. :eek:

coothead

denis bayly, Oct 23, 2016 IP
  4. PoPSiCLe

PoPSiCLe Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah. There are several problems with that site. First and foremost, the need for javascript to show _anything_. Completely useless, and gonna make that site score very low on SEO. Second, you're using WIX. That is probably why the javascript is there to begin with, and is really not recommended. Also, for such a site, it's ONE page, with almost no content. It should take about 3 minutes to create from scratch in Notepad.

Third, the text in the white box is overlapped by the button. Looks crappy, and is very easy to fix. Sorry. The page is crap, and the idea itself... well. Do drivers really need MORE beeps and alerts and information to distract them? My guess is "no". Also, most modern cars already come with alerts for diverting from your lane, "wake up" functionality etc. Granted, there are plenty of old cars that could benefit from that specific alert, giving other information at the same time might just be distracting. I would suggest making the wheel slightly more single-focus (keep the driver awake, or warn of potential sleepyness). But that's just me. The site, on the other hand, needs a complete makeover, preferably written without using WIX.

PoPSiCLe, Oct 23, 2016 IP
  5. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    illegible hard to read goof-assed webfont, takes forever to load thanks to the goof-assed distracting animated rubbish background that's slopped in there like 1990's style animated GIF's, the social media icons might as well be invisible particularly shoved under the "this site created with mouth-breathingly dumbass halfwit bullshit" bar, and really there isn't enough actual content to even warrant having a full page website.

Of course being crapped together with Wix, I won't even get into the laundry list of things wrong with it under the hood that tells large swaths of visitors to the page to go **** themselves.

Utter and complete epic failure. Do yourself a favor, and learn something about websites before trying to make them.

PARTICULARLY for something simple like a product squeeze page trying to make conversions. Pissing off users before the page even finishes loading is NOT going to make a sale.

More so in this day and age given said site doesn't even come CLOSE to approaching being mobile friendly -- there goes HALF the market.

Wix is nube predating scam artist bullshit, anyone telling you otherwise is either a fool or selling something.

deathshadow, Oct 24, 2016 IP
  6. VanceVP

VanceVP Member

Best Answers:
    Just to throw my 2 cents worth in, it is not a smart move to bring stuff built with Wix or bootstrap or such into this forum. As you are finding out, those in the know will give you their opinion and not bother to sugar coat it in any way, shape or form. The sad thing is that they will do it and not think twice about it. The reason for coding from scratch is that you can get exactly what you want, the way you want and with the least amount of code. The off-the-shelf DYI site building software is junk. It has to all things for everyone that wants to build a website. So what you wind up with is bloated code that is hard to read and/or work with.

Ask me how I know this . . .

I would be in your best interest to learn html and css and do it yourself. If you run into problems there are plenty of members who will jump in and help in whatever way they can.

Ask me how I know this . . .

My final bit of advice here . . . don't ask if you don't want to know.

And deathshadow . . . you surprise me with such a mild response. LOL

VanceVP, Oct 26, 2016 IP
  7. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    As school projects go it sounds like you've cottoned on to a winner. I'm not sure how you are managing the user notifications without adding another distraction to the driver (particularly in the case of stress). However, because you've now told the world that your smartwheel is created by a school kid you need another page to show that you're not some dozy teen but part of the bright new future of entrepreneurs, inventers and forward thinkers.

As for wix, that's excusable if you can show that your skills and talents are focussed elsewhere (but you don't) - however to get this thing to fly you'll need a team of people providing mentoring, finance, technical knowhow etc. Why not include someone who can do the website and social media? No entrepreneur can do everything and you must know someone from school who can do it and would like to be involved!

With all of the costs of production looming, you can, surely, squeeze in a few more dollars for a domain and hosting? If you can't then perhaps the finances are too tight to be able to handle other contingencies?

Finally, go through kickstarter projects and see how they market themselves pre-launch. You might not want investors but you do want (I assume) advance publicity and pre sales.

Oh, and you have protected your intellectual property, haven't you?

sarahk, Oct 26, 2016 IP
  8. scurvy

scurvy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If ur trying to sell a product with a free wix site any potential buyer will not take u seriously.
    At least go for the paid version without the Wix ad.
    Site itself needs a better design and logo.

scurvy, Oct 28, 2016 IP
  9. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    His market is anyone with a car, I doubt non-tech users know that wix sites are less reputable.

sarahk, Oct 28, 2016 IP
  10. scurvy

scurvy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The wix logo is at the top which means its free and unpaid site, which automatically looks unprofessional if ur trying to sell a product. People will think he doesn't even have the money to pay for hosting much less create and sell a good product.

scurvy, Oct 28, 2016 IP
  11. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    I've spent considerable amounts of time trying to convince people of the benefits of doing their site properly and it's like beating your head against a brick wall. If that's what it's like with the "site" owner how can we expect users to be more savvy?
    I'm not endorsing wix by any means but I think we tend to over-estimate how much the average user to take in.

sarahk, Oct 28, 2016 IP
  12. publyfe

publyfe Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    @mmehta Check out ThriveThemes for simple, professional landing page templates with a content builder that is majority drag and drop but still allows for deep editing if necessary. They also have a cloud library of over 150 landing page templates that are fully editable. Since it is WordPress this would require you to purchase a domain name and hosting but both are very affordable, and the theme license is also cheap. I'd start there if I were you. Best of luck in your ventures!

publyfe, Nov 1, 2016 IP